Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I have CCA + Exp 1-3, have had it a long while but only played a little (solo is my only option). Want to get Medieval now but can't justify with 50 odd (60 odd?) unplayed CCA battles.

So how can I get this to table more often/faster? What are some solid, fast-playing scenarios that will give me a good feel for the system? If I get more comfortable w ththe rules I think my eager 6 yo will be interested in trying it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I should add I'd prefer to start with the base game as that's all I have stickered. I'm happy to try fan-made scenarios if they fit the bill so to speak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Ernst
Netherlands
Schiedam
Z-H
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started playing the Alexander battles from expansion pack 1. Starting at Granicus you can play 5 scenario's following Alexander's conquest. That feels like a bit familiar although I didn't know the battles well. I watched old school youtube video's about the battles like from this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UComXnN88_kKnF7wIQgq4vIw , slow short but clear. There are more modern alternatives of-course. It helped me getting far more interested in the battles and also helped me understand the why and how of the units a bit better.

Another small tip. You can lay the block down on one side which saves on applying stickers 50%. It looks better (for me) solo when they are like that. (but I fully applied all the stickers). Also I started making sure that Auxiliary units are put down in another formation than he regular light units. Lets say blocks pointing forwards and the others pointing sideways (both two blocks high).

I was very surprised about how much I like this game after not playing it for 8 years. I ordered expansion 2,3 and 4 as well. Also Medieval is on the way. But give it a good try, Ancients is more fun than I could imagine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Fred!

Just to clarify it's not that I don't like CCA, or struggle to get into the period, I think the main thing is I have a hard time playing both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Ernst
Netherlands
Schiedam
Z-H
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just try the shortest scenarios, with 5 banner win condition, very easy to find and they play fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to suggest the compromise I choose. I play VASSAL online so I can play more against a real opponent. Means I don't get to use the bits, but C&C games are excellent in play length for online games of 1-2 hours.

Not a computer game, an online rendition of the boardgame. Everything is up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Ernst
Netherlands
Schiedam
Z-H
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most important for me was to get the right state of mind, that took me ten years. But now switching form Alexander to Darius and back goes very smooth. After a few tries I noticed that the game is much easier than I thought or than I experienced at first. So playing and switching goes smoothly and all the battle backs are very nice (for someone who plays Memoir 44 a lot). I think getting into the skin and the story of the battle helped me a lot enjoying the game solo. Looking at what feeling hinders you and acknowledging that feeling (I mean, you are solo, nobody watches) is the way to get rid of what holds you back. hmm, maybe I should become a Guru.. no, just my experience..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great suggestions! I can't wrap my head around the Vassal interface (although I haven't tried too hard), so that's not an option right now.

I think something else that's tough is figuring out strategy (which will come with experience, I expect).

Happy to hear anyone else's thoughts, thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick,

I was in a similar situation like you a couple of months ago. What I did was to simply start soloing all the scenarios. I currently own all expansions except for #5, so this will be a long endeavour especially as I like to take longer breaks between sessions.

Besides that, however, I also started playing with real opponents via the great VASSAL module. Don't be intimidated by it, you can hit the ground running after a short period of time and from my experience the community is really nice and helpful (and patient when it comes to my rules hiccups).

And lastly, of course, I take each and every chance to get my blocks out of the box and onto the table whenever I have the opportunity to play a f2f game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
What worked for me was frequenting a couple of local game stores to determine if playing there as possibility (it was). I also reached out to the local boardgaming club and was invited to bring the game out to a meet.

Both lead to meeting experienced players that got me over the learning curve more quickly.

It could also lead to your making new gaming friends and being exposed to other games that may be of interest you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls