The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: and/or question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Clark
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Sorry - sure this is answered somewhere just couldnt find it.

When the card says like -2 and/or STAR STAR WITH 7 does that mean you can use both the reduction in action cards AND both stars (if the 7 is applicable) or do you have to pick one bonus to apply?

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the effect is A and/or B you can choose
1. A only
2. B only
3. A and B

I thought it should be quite obvious though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can choose to have the first effect, the second effect or both effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ANd believe it or not, you’ll find times when you want it ‘or’ and times you’ll want it ‘and’
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Clark
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Gotcha - wasnt sure why they would put OR in there so was just wondering.

Thanks Rob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Heyming
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait. Let me get this straight. Are you saying that the idiosyncratic combination of words used by this "game", for example, the phrase "and/or", should be read to have the exact same meaning as the logical operation that uses the exact same phrasing? Man, mind blown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For this particular card, you usually want both because it is not a bad thing to have more stars than necessary and you can draw more cards.

However, if you perform a locked action, you have to draw exactly that number of cards, and -2 may be a bad thing.

I don’t yet know why I would want to have fewer stars, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some actions where it is better to fail, or that you want to fail at.

Lovecraft's Wild Imagination for one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted William
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hankheyming wrote:
Wait. Let me get this straight. Are you saying that the idiosyncratic combination of words used by this "game", for example, the phrase "and/or", should be read to have the exact same meaning as the logical operation that uses the exact same phrasing? Man, mind blown.
This is what makes this game so fantastic, especially the first time you play.

You feel like you've woken up, slightly feverish and are in the middle of some game. You have no idea where you are, why you are there or what you're supposed to do. You have doubts about whether semantics or the rules of logic apply anymore and you wonder if you're going mad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John K
United States
flag msg tools
It’s probably a typo. What they mean is your choice of AND/XOR. Logical OR includes both. (A and B) or (A or B) = A or B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted William
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, there would be many times where I would not want the -2 because I want to be sure of success (and draw more Action cards, not less) but I would want the extra star. In context, it's a reasonable choice offering.

Again, when you first start playing the game, you feel so confused that everything is a challenge and nothing is quite as you expected it to be...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are even a few cases where you don't want to succeed, so -2 is a great way of not wasting cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Heyming
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perzquixle wrote:
It’s probably a typo. What they mean is your choice of AND/XOR. Logical OR includes both. (A and B) or (A or B) = A or B
Are you sure he didn't mean XAND/OR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
perzquixle wrote:
While I definitely get the logical gag here, it is probably worth pointing out that games text including this almost always want you to interpret the word 'or' via its exclusive interpretation.

If the instruction were '-2 cards OR +1 star', then you would have to choose one or the other. Using logical terminology, doing both would make the statement evaluate to 'true', but that is not what you are trying to do. The instruction instead indicates to do one or the other, but not both nor neither.

Thus, if applying logical reasoning, you should most occurrences of 'or' with an 'xor'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... I am disgusted and disappointed, but I still want to believe people can be honest and sensible.
badge
If am still here, it is only for the gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
perzquixle wrote:
While I definitely get the logical gag here, it is probably worth pointing out that games text including this almost always want you to interpret the word 'or' via its exclusive interpretation.

If the instruction were '-2 cards OR +1 star', then you would have to choose one or the other. Using logical terminology, doing both would make the statement evaluate to 'true', but that is not what you are trying to do. The instruction instead indicates to do one or the other, but not both nor neither.

Thus, if applying logical reasoning, you should most occurrences of 'or' with an 'xor'.

When I was in school in my country mathematical logic was an optional chapter in the algebra book hardly anybody studied or even read. Computer science was even more niche. I am not convinced a lot of BGG-members got to be familiar with its jargon. On the other hand, natural languages embrace the benefit redundancy (the use of negatives in educated English is one of the rare exceptions), as it improves the effectiveness of the communication.

So, I would rather have "either... or..." and "and/or" than a confusing "or" that different people will interpret in conflicting ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
Its Majesty compels the survivors to bow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you serious guys?

and/or is perfectly fine, and it also carries the same semantics in natural language. Don't overthink this.

and/or is actually one of the conventional ways of referencing inclusive or (among others, multiplication symbol, lowercase v, double pipe, Latin VEL or, well, just OR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also cards which have an or without an and, there you have to decide what to take
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
Its Majesty compels the survivors to bow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
There are also cards which have an or without an and, there you have to decide what to take

That is more logically inconsistent But yes, there are a few - "you can have A or B, but not both".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Simone [The Quasi Geek Dad]
United States
Redmond
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally wish there were nested if else statements to help my understanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Isenor
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeadMoney wrote:
I personally wish there were nested if else statements to help my understanding.

Do nested if else statements help anyone's understanding? Just don't nest them too deep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls