Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
Its time to welcome you to your reroll! We did a 2 player suite last year, which reminds me we should do another. Have you played any of these two player games? If so what was is your BPPP rating and your thoughts on each one. I will pick some comments to mention on the show. If you leave a comment provide your BPPP rating for CONTEXT!

Poll
1. Have you played Crystal Clans?
Yes
No, but want to.
No, but would try if someone bought it out to try.
No and no desire.
2. What is your BPPP of Crystal Clans?
6 - Collection Essential
3 - Average
0 - The worst
3. Have you played The Fox in the Forest
Yes
No, but want to.
No and no desire.
4. What is your BPPP rating of The Fox in the Forest?
6 - Collection Essential
3 - Average
0 - The worst
5. Have you played Santorini?
Yes
No, but want to.
No and no desire.
6. What is your BPPP rating of Santorini?
6 - Collection Essential
3 - Average
0 - The worst
      138 answers
Poll created by rookenoble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm rarely the first to vote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turner
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
I'm rarely the first to vote

Congrats for being Johnny on the Spot today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Santorini. I rated it a 5, but I feel like I need to explain that rating a little.
I don't own the game, and it is nowhere near my favourite games, BUT: I feel like if you want to own any abstract strategy game for playing with a very wide variety of gamers, this is one you should consider.
It's now pretty affordable, it has nice components, AND it is a super compelling game with simple rules, yet deep strategy.

(My personal favourite thing to own when it comes to abstract games is Pyramid Arcade, but that is a game system, not a single game, so not really comparable.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgueni K
Canada
flag msg tools
I really like Fox in the Forest. It doesn't quite make it into the essential list as it's a situational game, but it's still rated pretty high for me at a 5. It's a great game for travelling or for having it with you on the go as it takes very little room, very easy to teach, and has a good amount of interesting choices considering it's just a small deck of cards and a few coins (that aren't even that necessary if you want to make it even more portable). I'd rarely play this game at home as there are lots of other 2 player titles that would draw me in, whether we want something quicker, heavier, more thematic, etc., but it's pretty much my game of choice for bringing it out to cafes, when visiting friends, or at work if I want a 2 player game.

I also played Santorini, but only once. It's not a bad game by any means, but it feels like it's over produced for what it offers and tries a bit too hard to make it stand out thanks to the components. I can see why they did it as it clearly works, but I like my abstract games to be a bit more minimalistic and take up a bit less room. I put it at 3, but again, I only played it once and I'm just not crazy about their choice of components, even though it makes the game look very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Edge

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have not played Crystal Clans and don't really want to. I've got other head to head games I prefer (KeyForge: Call of the Archons and Doomtown: Reloaded spring to mind) and also don't have the play group for this style of game.

Fox In The Forest (5 peg) is my favorite of the two player trick taking games. Love the intense hand management and hope quickly the pivoting can occur as each round progresses. Tons of fun.

Santorini is ok. Played it a couple of times ... but prefer other abstract games with variable player counts (Element specifically) to this one. An average abstract with above average production, Santorini still only gets a 3 peg from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crystal Clans is fun but I can see it gets lost amongst the plethora of skirmish games that also use cards instead of miniatures.

I don't get the hype about Santorini, but I chalk it up to my personal dislike for many abstracts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Destrio wrote:
I don't get the hype about Santorini, but I chalk it up to my personal dislike for many abstracts.

I feel the exact same way! I have a strong distaste for this game even though I have never played it. Kind of weird I guess, but oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fox in the Forest is the only game of the three that I have experience with. I rate it a 4 because it's a game that doesn't always excite me when i see it on the shelf, but anytime I play it I really enjoy it. It's quick, easy to teach, yet has just enough moving parts to give you opportunities to feel clever without bogging down the game pace. It's a nice game to play while chit chatting and catching up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Byrne
Ireland
Shankill
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also have only played Santorini of the games listed. I own it and really do like it, and play it almost always as a 2-player game.
For such a simple rule set, it really offers great strategy. The additional cards add to the complexity but also the strategy in a major way.
It keeps you fully engaged at all times, especially during your opponents turn.
Low price point, great components, great looking game, strategy, reasonably short play time; it has it all really for a good competitive 2-player game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
collecting these soon, let your voices be heard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.