Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

It's the map 120 wargamers are going to replay Waterloo on for a charity event in Glasgow (UK) next weekend

https://www.gla.ac.uk/news/headline_650397_en.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
link to their site (maybe there will be a follow up about how the game went):

http://www.waterlooreplayed.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Daniels
United States
Sedona
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, here’s hoping someone gets a high res photo of the map and posts it online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any BGGers participating as brigade commanders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Sainte-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.

No way there is space for 120 wargamers on that map!

"Egads! You just stepped on Lord Wellington, we are lost!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
licinius wrote:
Wow.

No way there is space for 120 wargamers on that map!

"Egads! You just stepped on Lord Wellington, we are lost!"

Apparently it will be cut into strips and laid on rows of tables.

Rows of tables was also what they did when the battle was refought in 1990 in Belgium and the Netherlands (90 players on the latter occassion but fewer miniatures)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Napoleon: "Where's Grouchy?"

Aide: "He's in the other room."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, curious which system they use to replay the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. H.
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what the website says, "The scale is 28mm, and the rules to be used are Black Powder, produced by Warlord Games."

http://www.waterlooreplayed.com/about.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
m0rtaar wrote:
This is what the website says, "The scale is 28mm, and the rules to be used are Black Powder, produced by Warlord Games."

Great rules - fast-playing - got 14 plays logged, but only 1 of them being Napoleonic, which is a bit weird because they fit the period very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
m0rtaar wrote:

Great rules - fast-playing - got 14 plays logged, but only 1 of them being Napoleonic, which is a bit weird because they fit the period very well.

Eddy, get on over there, play in the game, and report back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

That looks incredible!
A real time play by play would be pretty awesome.
I think once every hour would be sufficient. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald EMCA LADD
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are going to need some rather big croupier sticks for that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
m0rtaar wrote:

Eddy, get on over there, play in the game, and report back!

I'm impulsive enough to do that, but have conflicting schedules - got myself invited to a game designer masterclass with Bruno Faidutti on Friday and my favourite playtester is turning 7 and throwing a big party on Sunday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Clark
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I sat an exam in that hall (medieval lit), it’s big! Might need to pop in with the wee one and do a bit of spectating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So they are doing it on a flat surface instead of modeling the hills?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kuragin wrote:
Wow! I sat an exam in that hall (medieval lit), it’s big! Might need to pop in with the wee one and do a bit of spectating.

There's a number of activities on the days surrounding the game:

Quote:
The game is supplemented by two other events:
Night @ the Museum: Waterloo -- This happens on the evening of Saturday 15 June from 18.30 until 21.30. It is a ticketed fund-raiser for Waterloo Uncovered. Gin is involved.
It is based in the Kelvin Gallery which is adjacent to the Hunterian Museum. 
The concept, which involves actors, is that the evening starts with the Duchess of Richmond's Ball, and then progresses via a dramatic narrative to a consideration of the Battle of Waterloo, both the historical one and the one that is happening on the floor of the Kelvin Gallery. This will be guided by expert analysis (both historical, archaeological and military). A cadre of students, who will be acting as News Correspondents throughout the week-end, will then offer battlefield tours of the game in progress. The Great Game can also be viewed from above, and at that stage will be half way through. The presence of British, French and Prussian re-enactors will be a key part of the evening and they will not only play a part in the dramatic story which will unfold but are also open to questions from guests. The evening will finish with a flourish of military action.

The Waterloo Replayed Study Day -- This happens on Thursday 13 June from 10.00 to 16.30. 
This is a series of talks, supported by the University, about Waterloo and its wider context. Archaeologists, historians, wargamers and veterans will be speaking, and the day will be hosted by Prof Tony Pollard (University of Glasgow) and Mark Evans (of Waterloo Uncovered). The lecture theatre is close to the Kelvin Gallery and holds just over 200.
This is a free public event but is ticketed.

There is a private debrief/work-shop on the morning of Monday 17, where the war reporters will discuss the events of the weekend and discuss how the game ‘changed history’. This will be held in the same venue as the study day and will be open to anyone who might be interested.

For further info : http://www.waterlooreplayed.com/
and https://www.facebook.com/groups/794931190712445/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tempting to pop through, but not sure it would be all that as a spectator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine is going and will report back (I cannot make it). As he is a semi-professional photographer, hopefully he will find time to take a few snaps.

His primary task though it to take Hougoumont with a French infantry brigade. I wished him good luck and demanded photographic proof before I would believe he succeeded. He's apparently been promised reinforcements, should he need them... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
notquitekarpov wrote:
A friend of mine is going and will report back (I cannot make it). As he is a semi-professional photographer, hopefully he will find time to take a few snaps.

He's primary task though it to take Hougoumont with a French infantry brigade. I wished him good luck and demanded photographic proof before I would believe he succeeded. He's apparently been promised reinforcements, should he need them... whistle

Seems like the Brits might be expecting that....maybe starting a little misinformation campaign?

I guess begs a question, is the goal a recreation of the battle, or are the participants given a free hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure he knows. He has his orders though and intend to try to follow them...

If the French only commit one brigade to Hougoumont, rather than a whole Corps, that will already be a major departure from the historical battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why cut up the map when you can use drones to move the pieces.

Mind you it probably would mean you'd need a flight control for save air traffic.

I'm hoping they make a video of the game so we can sit down and enjoy watching it when we find the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
notquitekarpov wrote:

If the French only commit one brigade to Hougoumont, rather than a whole Corps, that will already be a major departure from the historical battle.

Simply assemble a Grand Battery and blow it to rubble. It's a typical clay brick wall around a square farm, not a fortress.The Allied soldiers poked shooting holes in it with their bayonets, no fancy equipment required.

My grandfather had a smaller, but similar style farm 25 miles down the road - the wall was to keep the chickens in and the apple thieves out, not a major fortification work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
eddy_sterckx wrote:
notquitekarpov wrote:

Simply assemble a Grand Battery and blow it to rubble. It's a typical clay brick wall around a square farm, not a fortress.The Allied soldiers poked shooting holes in it with their bayonets, no fancy equipment required.

My grandfather had a smaller, but similar style farm 25 miles down the road - the wall was to keep the chickens in and the apple thieves out, not a major fortification work.

I understood it was surrounded by a wood and orchard so difficult to shoot what you can't see. A similar reason La Haye Sainte was so difficult to take. The lie of the land prevented it being targeted by artillery. It therefore had to be taken up close and personal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Here is a map of the chateau and surrounds.

The Chateau itself is masked from the French side on the south and south-east by woods, orchards and then a formal walled garden. Even on the west side - facing away from the main battlefield there is an enclosure with a wall on each side. Not do-able.

Setting it on fire with howitzers was the best they could do - and they eventually did. But burning outbuildings proved as much as a barrier as defended outbuildings.

It should have been masked - and if the French do that with just one brigade then that would be sound in my view,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.