Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Blue Peg, Pink Peg» Forums » General

Subject: What are you playing this week? (June 10th-16th - Origins edition!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Pegheads!

Late posting this week, as I assume all the other WAYPTW thread hosts are busy heading off to Origins!

So I guess an appropriate thread topic this week is: Are you going to Origins? If so, what's your most anticipated game to check out? And are you going to search out the Pegs to shout appropriate catchphrases to them?...

If you're NOT going to Origins (like me), is there anything you'd like fellow pegheads who ARE there to check out on your behalf?...

But of course, what the pegheads really want to know, especially if you're not at Origins, is: What are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to Origins (because I already booked off a whole load of vacation time for UK Games Expo and for Essen, and apparently I need to take some time of with my family TOO at some point - who knew?!). But I hope all who are going have a great time, and do look out for Patrick, Robb, Christina and Jeremy.

This week:
Monday: Got to go to game night; a rare treat!
- Played Space Base at last, which is a great game! It fixes a lot of the issues that Machi Koro has (which is mechanically very similar), and with cute artwork and space-y theme (although it's a very pasted on theme). Nice little engine-builder.
- Then played Trickerion: Legends of Illusion with 2 others. 3 is kind of a perfect number for this game; it's not too long, and it's not direct attack of the other player (not that this game has "attacking" as such; but it's worker placement, so you can block what others are doing, and ruin their plans for that round). Both my opponents really enjoyed playing it; took us almost exactly 3 hours including my rules explanation, so pretty good. And the scores were super-close too; I was 8 fame ahead just before final scoring, but ended up in last place (but only last by 2 fame, which was annoying since I lost 2 fame for being 1 coin short of paying my workers on my final turn). Love this game; really crunchy and brain-burnery, and you really have to plan your moves out well. Love the ability to usurp another player's planned Magic Performance by performing the show THEY were planning on performing, AND being able to join in other player's performances. Such a clever, well crafted and tight game. The rules teach is not for the feint of heart though!

Rest of the week: I have some prototypes I need to start working on testing, but we're currently redecorating one of the kids' bedrooms in my house and so every night so far has involved me being up a ladder covered in paint (yes, I seem to get more paint on ME than on the wall).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
NOrigins for me. It's been a good gaming week already, though.

Monday, I played Scythe: The Rise of Fenris chapter 3 and got to open a big package from the legacy stuff. I also tried out Hellboy: The Board Game, which was just as big and dumb as I thought it would be, but fun for all that. I also tried the unofficial Solo variant for Gizmos and had fun.

Yesterday, I took the early Vladimir Suchy game 20th Century to my board game club and we played it -- really interesting game that came down to the last scoring metric. We also played Five Tribes. Before game club, my wife and I had a great time playing our next session of Legacy of Dragonholt.

This weekend, I'll be going to visit my inlaws, so I suspect we'll play a few games while we're there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohamad Sobh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not going to Origins, but would be great to hear from those attending about The Isle of Cats

Also, planning to play Euphoria with the Ignorance is Bliss expansion and The Gallerist this week. Haven't played the former yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachelle Gordon
United States
PA - Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mohamads wrote:
Not going to Origins, but would be great to hear from those attending about The Isle of Cats

I was curious about this one also. I also am not attending Origins.

I am hoping to get some plays in this weekend of some smaller games with my daughter.

Have fun at Origins for all who are attending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also celebrating NOrigins this week

I’m headed to see family though, which means some lighter fare will hit the table. Will probably see Just One and Codenames, maybe Herbaceous and Sunset Over Water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Khalil
Qatar
flag msg tools
Check out our Podcast (Tabletop Sessions), Instagram (@tabletopsessions), and Twitter (@ttsessionsqa)
badge
Check out our Podcast (Tabletop Sessions), Instagram (@tabletopsessions), and Twitter (@ttsessionsqa)
mbmbmbmbmb
Origins is my favorite convention and it's painful not to be there this year.

However, we are having our 2nd ever Tabletop Sessions Convention on 14/6- it's a 24hr marathon of gaming at a beach house (not OUR beach house Rob!!!) that we rent with about a dozen folks. It's kind of our version of RobCon, so I can't complain too much. It's going to be a great weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be the first to chme-in with "I'm heading to Origins in a bit" and I'll arrive late afternoon. I'll drop off my bag at the AirBnB and then it's gaming time! Here's the plan:

Wed (night): Gaming in the Main Hall and probably head over to the Hampton Inn where the BPPP crew is staying and I'll catch-up with my fellow Pegheads from PiranhaPigCon.

Thu: Early morning run, followed by breakfast and head to the Convention Center. For the first few hours, I'll walk the vendor hall in its entirety to get a sense of who is there and meet-up with fellow designers and developers. In the late morning, I'll head to North Market for the legendary fried chicken (hence, why I run) and then back to the Convention Center for a few hours before going to Callahan's for the Mash-Up Meet-Up with the BPPP crew, Man vs. Meeple guys, and the Brawlin' Brothers.

Fri: Report early for my back-to-back shifts at Academy Games where I'll teach 1775, 878 Vikings, and Freedom: The Underground Railroad. In the evening, I'll kick back and play a few new titles to me (especially Gaia Project, which I've only played 4/6 turns and really enjoyed the experience)

Sat & Sun: Gaming, gaming, and more gaming, with one small deviation when I represent, along with a few others, Stonemaier Games, at the Origins Award Ceremony

To those who are not heading to Origins, let me know if there's anything you want me to check-out for you.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Huang
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A group of us are running through Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island – Mystery Tales. We have finished the first two scenarios (pretty fun and thematic). Saturday (6/15) we are running scenario 3. Any other pegheads complete this campaign yet? Rating? As a longtime fan of the original game, having fun so far!

Other games that have hit the table:
1. Gizmos
2. KeyForge: Age of Ascension
3. The Quacks of Quedlinburg
4. Trying to learn Underwater Cities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOrigins for me as well. If you are going to Origins, I hear the food there is amazing...gain a few pounds on my behalf.

This week is filled with music. Friday with my standard band, but on Saturday I will be playing with Jim Belushi again, this time for his birthay celebration. I played with him last summer, as he owns a medical marijuana farm here in Southern Oregon, and spends quite a bit of time here. Don't know if he lives here full time or not. Apparently, we have to sign non-disclosure agreements this time. I think there will be some celebrities there...I wonder who's coming.

On Sunday I am playing some Necromunda: Underhive with a buddy in preparation for a campaign. That's about it this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgueni K
Canada
flag msg tools
NOrigins here as well!

We started Gloomhaven last week and everyone really enjoyed it, so looking forward to continuing scenario #2 this week!

We also need to finish up our game of Aeon's End: Legacy, so looking forward to doing a chapter or two this weekend.

And The Ancient World (Second Edition) has been getting a lot of plays ever since we got it, and we will probably play it again this week. This has really been our favourite euro for 2019 so far and it's probably going to be seeing many more plays still.

I also just finished reorganizing Mansions of Madness: Second Edition, adding in a couple of expansions and throwing out those awful minis. It's been quite some time since we played it and the latest release of LotR reminded me about it, so time to get back into MoM as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macy Allan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am super excited to head to Origins tomorrow for my second year. Last year, we (my game buddies & I) felt we didn’t get to play enough games, so we decided to get badges for the game library.
Here are some of games that we hope to play:
Troyes
Roll Player
Race for the Galaxy
Spirit Island
The Quacks of Quedlinburg
Galaxy Trucker

If anyone cares to join/teach us the rules for any of these, give me a shout. Hopefully, I’ll get a chance to meet some of you lovely folks at the MashUp MeetUp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCallen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We went to Origins this week and subsequently got a lot of games played.

Trapwords: This was a fantasy RPG themed Taboo where you secretly pick the words your opponents can't say. It was enjoyable though not too deep. It did allow interesting strategies like we didn't think they could get "harbor" without mentioning a boat, so we blocked every word about ship, boat, freighter, vessel, and the word dock.

Letter Jam: This is a co-operative, word game with a Hanabi like setup. I enjoyed the game we played a lot. I thought it had several moments where every person at the table clearly got to feel clever or had important realizations. Well everyone except my daughter who did not enjoy this.

Tricky Tides: This combination trick-taking and pick-up/deliver game was fine. It didn't feel like there was enough importance in the trick taking and the pick-up/deliver felt was so common it didn't feel like I did something special. I'd try it again, but probably not seek it out.

Songbirds: We demoed this one and then decided to buy it to share with the other pegheads at the hotel. Just about everyone we played with at some point said, "Oh I get this now and I'm in trouble." The game is quick, clever, and simple. The bird art is adorable too. This is one I'll bring with me to show my SO's parents this week.

Krass Kariert: My daughter carried this trick-taking/shedding game in her purse the entire con and showed it to everyone. The game is fun, but watching her be so proud to teach it to everyone was my favorite.

We're Doomed: I know I didn't enjoy this, but I won't say it's bad because I don't usually enjoy this type of game.

Echidna Shuffle: There was a lot to like about this kids' game. There was enough planning to feel important, ways to feel like you could hinder your opponents, and cute, tactile components. The game seemed to go too long but the game's teacher said there was a way to play differently that would limit that.

Viticulture with Tuscany: I had never played this before and was a bit overwhelmed by the possibilities. Because I didn't have a great grasp of what were good moves, my decisions were based on theme but I still did well.

Villages of Valeria: I did so badly in this game that it was embarrassing. When I decided to build things to work off others choosing to build; no one built again. Then I switched to develop cards, and no one developed. That said, I also asked the game's owner to teach my family because I knew they would love it. They did and we bought a copy at the con. Also there's the plus side that I don't think I could do worse next time without actively trying.

Second Chance: We all really liked this. It needs a checkoff list of cards that has come up, but other than that we had no complaints.

Lowlands: I didn't like the flood/dam aspect; I only get 3 actions every turn and I didn't enjoy having to spend them on a thing that may matter. I'd give it another shot, but I won't go look for it.

Finger Guns at High Noon: While the rules were being explained, I realized this was not a game for me. That said we ended up playing it 3 times with 2 groups and every time it was enjoyable. Little things like my kid and Bernard targeting each other and then teaming up as ghosts (she whispered to me "I made an enemy and then an unlikely ally"). I've never got to play Dead Last, but this seemed like a quicker, sillier version of that.

We also played Cockroach Poker, Kokoro, Codenames Duet, Just One, Evolution, Let's Make A Bus Route, and Fun Farm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael,

Your daughter did an excellent job teaching Krass Kariert! She's a natural gamer.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Origins proved exciting and fun as I had a chance to tour the Vendor Hall an d play a number of games with my fellow Pegheads. Over the five days, I played and demoed more than two dozen games:

Played:

Krass Kariert, Second Chance, Villages of Valeria x 2, CLANK!, Tricky Tides, Lantern Dice, New Frontiers, Quacks of Quindlenburg, Town Builder: Coevorden, Sidereal Confluence, TUKI, Gaia Project, Welcome to Dino World, Space Explorers, and Welcome to.

Demoed:

Burger Up, EPIC, Pirate's Plunder, Robotech Ace Pilot, Dice Quest Space, The Tea Dragon Society, Red Dragon Inn, Mental Blocks, High Rise, Animal Kingdoms, Super Show, Scream or Die, and Dawnshade.

I can't wait until the next Con or the next time time I see the wonderful friends who make this hobby so very enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE:

I was super excited to see which celebrities would be at Jim Belushi's party I played Saturday. We started playing as people were rolling in on UTV's (his house and guests stayed on the same property/ranch as the stage and performance area). Turns out...it was just a bunch of regular dudes. No John Goodman, no Dan Aykroyd, no Bill Murray...just about 30 average Joe's. I was trying to figure out why the non-disclosure, but then I realized if he was really partying down, he may not want photos or videos of him being crazy.

The other thing is, some of his friends played guitar, and the whole thing turned into a jam session. There were two guitar players, a harmonica player, and a drummer in addition to Jim playing and singing, so 1/2 of the band was just sitting around about 75% of the gig. That was okay. I got paid to drink beer and smoke cigars.

Even though there was a NDA, I snuck a picture of my place setting from dinner. Oh, and Jim clearned the band's plates when we were done eating...that felt a little strange. I will say, he is an EXCELENT host.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turner
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mooses05 wrote:

Viticulture with Tuscany: I had never played this before and was a bit overwhelmed by the possibilities. Because I didn't have a great grasp of what were good moves, my decisions were based on theme but I still did well.

Still did well? You mopped the darn floor with us. I still don't know how that happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.