Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Does Food take up an inventory spot?

1a)If so can it be combined to take up 1 spot?
1b) If not what if I have an item in my inventory and gather 3 food from a hunt... can I discard an item to keep all 3?
1c) If two characters are involved in the hunt, can the 3 food be split between the two characters?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
1) Does Food take up an inventory spot?

1b) If not what if I have an item in my inventory and gather 3 food from a hunt... can I discard an item to keep all 3?
1c) If two characters are involved in the hunt, can the 3 food be split between the two characters?

Thanks.

1) Yes
1a) No. Each food card is an item, and they are separate.
1b) Yes
1c) Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian R
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
If you mean you use one item slot (one of the dice) and you stack all the food in the same super-item, then yes, as long as you adhere to the stack limit.

If you mean treat 3 food cards as if they were 1 food card then no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Doesn't each food item have the keywords, Food & Stamina, which suggests that it can be combined with other items? Though you still have to discard the food item if you use its ability. I thought one big benefit of the Woven Basket was that you could store food in there (since you get the extra three spots from it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian R
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
Doesn't each food item have the keywords, Food & Stamina, which suggests that it can be combined with other items?
Food cards are items like all other items, so yes, they can be combined with any other items in your inventory. If they share keywords with the top card of the item stack, you can add the durability.

Note that you can add the food to any stack, even if the keywords don't match. This just means that you don't get to add durability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, Thought I had it, but now am confused again.

If I stack 3 foods into one item slot, can I still consume them one at a time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian R
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
Yes, you have to, actually. They show the white action symbol to "eat". Since you can't take multiple actions at the same time, you need to eat one food after the other. For each "eat", you reduce the die value by one and discard the food card that has the action you just took on it afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
Cyprus
Nicosia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:

If you combine 3 item cards into one item stack, you must still consume them one at a time, discarding each one after you use it and reducing durability by 1 each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Each food card is a single item. You can keep them like any other card that is an item. The same rules apply to food as to every other item that you build in the game. What fools people is that if you have 3 food cards, they are 3 items.

You can stack some of food cards together in one of your slots because they share keywords (food and/or stamina). But no more than the normal limits for stacking item cards.

Our group cheats a bit with food. We have a house rule that we don't have to discard other items when we catch food as long as we stay in the same area until we eat the food (thematically we are leaving the food on the ground for a while.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, you can stack food cards with *any* other items. There's no rule saying you can't if there is no keyword match.

However, if you put it in a stack whose top card has a matching keyword (food or stamina in this case) you get to increase the durability of the whole item by 1. This effectively means you get to use the food "for free" (it didn't cost you any durability of existing items).

Of course you want to keep food in one stack if possible (or I guess in 2 or 3 stacks in multiplayer games, where you get more stacks but can't keep as much in them). But if you have a stack that isn't too critical then it's not too bad to shove a non-matching food card in there if there's nowhere else for it. (Generally you want to eat that one last if you have a choice - unless you need the space to add another item to that stack to refresh it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lachpost wrote:
dlikos wrote:
Yes, you have to, actually. They show the white action symbol to "eat". Since you can't take multiple actions at the same time, you need to eat one food after the other. For each "eat", you reduce the die value by one and discard the food card that has the action you just took on it afterwards.

But I don't have to consume them all in one sitting?

Sorry still confused, If I find 3 food and stack them into "1" item slot. The durability die would be 3.

I take the eat action, reduce the die to 2, take success move 3 or 6 cards from discard to action deck.

Now the die is 2... can I do something else at this point? Or do I have to continue til the die is to 0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you don't have to continue eating if you don't want to. Each card gives you one "eat" action. You only take one action at a time, and all are optional (with the exception of those in a red box).

When a game is going well - when I have a fullish deck and a reasonable stack of food - it's often necessary to eat just one card's worth of food in order to make space for more, but pointless eating more because there aren't enough cards in the discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
Of course you don't have to continue eating if you don't want to. Each card gives you one "eat" action. You only take one action at a time, and all are optional (with the exception of those in a red box).

So what's the difference between putting them in a stack and not putting them in a stack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
<---- off to read items and crafting items again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Leslie
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
Our group cheats a bit with food. We have a house rule that we don't have to discard other items when we catch food as long as we stay in the same area until we eat the food (thematically we are leaving the food on the ground for a while.)
We do this too. Makes no sense to 'lose' something you're carrying just to eat. Thematically, we don't make space in our "backpack", put the food in the backpack, immediately take the food out and eat it... we just "store" the food directly into our mouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
robinz wrote:

So what's the difference between putting them in a stack and not putting them in a stack?

I'm not sure I understand the question. What does "not putting them in a stack" mean here?

They have to go somewhere in your inventory when you get them - and I call the multi-card "things" in your inventory "stacks", even if they only have 1 card at the moment.

There is an advantage to keeping all your food cards in one stack (with optionally another "stamina" item on top - commonly a Woven Basket), which I explained earlier - you don't have to reduce the durability of another stack when eating, which you would if you put a food card in a non-matching stack. (You reduce durability when eating, regardless - but if you keep them in a stamina stack then you only lose the durability you gained when you put them there.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
waleslie wrote:
rubberchicken wrote:
We do this too. Makes no sense to 'lose' something you're carrying just to eat. Thematically, we don't make space in our "backpack", put the food in the backpack, immediately take the food out and eat it... we just "store" the food directly into our mouth.

Do you either do this with fire creation items? I don't mind hunting for a bit and having a dedicated food stack, but losing durability off something because I want to make a flint and immediately start a fire when I already have a full inventory is rather annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
dlikos wrote:
robinz wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the question. What does "not putting them in a stack" mean here?

They have to go somewhere in your inventory when you get them - and I call the multi-card "things" in your inventory "stacks", even if they only have 1 card at the moment.

There is an advantage to keeping all your food cards in one stack (with optionally another "stamina" item on top - commonly a Woven Basket), which I explained earlier - you don't have to reduce the durability of another stack when eating, which you would if you put a food card in a non-matching stack. (You reduce durability when eating, regardless - but if you keep them in a stamina stack then you only lose the durability you gained when you put them there.)

Here goes... Obviously, I'm totally missing something here... thanks for your patience. Please tell me where I go wrong.

I am a character in a two character game. I have a hand limit of 3 blues, 3 greens, and start the game with 3 durability dice

I take this to mean, that I have 3 inventory slots.

I have an item (say shovel) using up one die/slot

I hunt and gain 3 food cards.

Uh oh... I only have 2 inventory slots.

I decide to combine the food cards into one slot as they all share a keyword Food.

I put a die on 3 on one of the food cards and return the other cards.

As a later action, I eat. I reduce the die to 2 ... go through the steps as I could draw a blue skill if I chose. Apply success, check hand limit.

Done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
dlikos wrote:
robinz wrote:
dlikos wrote:
robinz wrote:

Here goes... Obviously, I'm totally missing something here... thanks for your patience. Please tell me where I go wrong.

I am a character in a two character game. I have a hand limit of 3 blues, 3 greens, and start the game with 3 durability dice

I decide to combine the food cards into one slot as they all share a keyword Food.

As a later action, I eat. I reduce the die to 2 ... go through the steps as I could draw a blue skill if I chose. Apply success, check hand limit.

Done.

I think you go wrong in how you use the word slot.

You have 3 dice, so 3 item stacks. Each stack has 3 slots for you to put items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skies wrote:
dlikos wrote:
robinz wrote:
dlikos wrote:
robinz wrote:

Done.

I think you go wrong in how you use the word slot.

You have 3 dice, so 3 item stacks. Each stack has 3 slots for you to put items.

And this is why the woven basket is good! It allows more slots in a stack - as long as the stack still shares the keyword, which food and basket do... stamina.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
robinz wrote:
dlikos wrote:
robinz wrote:

Done.

I don't think you understand how combining works.

You cannot treat 1 food as 3 food. You can combine anything with anything, and if the keyword matches with the top item you up the durability of the entire 'superitem'. But each item stays separate and keeps taking up one slot in the stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
waleslie wrote:
rubberchicken wrote:

In your mouth? Like a hamster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian R
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:

That's the problem right here: When you combine items, you put the 'new' card under the old one, so that only the bottom part (where the boxes with the bonuses are) can be seen.

Same for food cards: In you example you would take all 3 food cards, the top one gets a die with value 3, and the other two food cards go under the top one so that you can still see their eat action box.
Whenever you take an eat action, you reduce the die by 1, shuffle cards etc., then discard a food card from the item stack (because that is the last part of the eat instruction box on the food cards).

So after eating once, you would now have a stack with two food cards, the top one having a die with value 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian R
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to re-read the rules on item combining again, or check out this video starting at 21:45:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Borries
Germany
Schnelldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
skies wrote:
waleslie wrote:
rubberchicken wrote:

Do you either do this with fire creation items? I don't mind hunting for a bit and having a dedicated food stack, but losing durability off something because I want to make a flint and immediately start a fire when I already have a full inventory is rather annoying.

We have a house rule that items, whether found or crafted, stay until we move on. That means food can be eaten or fire starters created and used without going through the inventory.

We are aware that this makes the game easier, but it is just more fun this way, at least for us (we decided on this not because of the food, but because we lost some cool items because we couldn't make place for them without taking another action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |