Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
53 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Food rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zachary David
United States
Rancho Santa Margarita
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unisus wrote:


We have a house rule that items, whether found or crafted, stay until we move on. That means food can be eaten or fire starters created and used without going through the inventory.

We are aware that this makes the game easier, but it is just more fun this way, at least for us (we decided on this not because of the food, but because we lost some cool items because we couldn't make place for them without taking another action).

This is great and works quite thematically. I think we're going to use this too.

Clearly from reading this, we've been doing food all wrong as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian R
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zachpas wrote:
Clearly from reading this, we've been doing food all wrong as well.
It's interesting how often people say that. There's nothing special about food cards, they're the exact same as other found items like the life jacket or conch or the likes. So it's either players not playing correctly for all those other items as well, or they are not applying the same rules for the food cards.

Something with the food seems to trip people up.

However, since it is a cooperative game, house ruling it (consciously or unconsciously) is both easy and fair, as long as you don't play with someone using different rules cool
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's summarise the key points for those that want to know the proper rules:

1: All item cards are treated the same way, whether they are food, items discovered while exploring, or items just crafted via a craft action.

2: When an item card is found or crafted, you must perform one of the following things:
a) One of the involved characters creates a new item stack with the card adding one of their unused dice.
b) One of the involved characters adds the card to the bottom of any existing item stack that has enough slots to fit the card.
c) You discard the card.

3: If you find multiple cards at the same time (e.g., food), perform step 2 for each card. You don't need to do the same thing for each.

4: You can take option 2b) regardless of keywords.

5: When taking option 2a), set the die so durability is equal to the pictured die on the card.

6: When taking option 2b) and any keyword of the new card matches any keyword of the top card of the stack, increase the die value of the stack by the pictured die value on the new card.

7: When resolving a card with a "Discard this" effect, you remove that card from the stack without discarding the rest of the stack. If the top card is removed this way, the die for the stack is moved to the new top card.


Also note that you are always taking one action at a time and food should not be a problem for you. To see if you have a handle on the above, see if you can follow the following sequence:

A) Find a single food card, create a new stack (die value 1).

B) Craft the Shovel card, add it to the bottom of the food stack, increasing the die value as the 'stamina' keyword is shared (die value 5).

C) Use the shovel in a fight action (die value 4).

D) As a result of the action, you get more food cards. You add 1 of them to make a food-shovel-food stack (die value 5).

E) Another food card from the action is added to the only place you have room, the bottom of another stack without a matching keyword. This is a small waste as the die value won't increase, but you need the food.

E) Consume the food at the top of the stack, using one die pip and discarding the card, so the shovel is now on top. (die value 4).

F) Continue onwards, happy that you can follow how item cards work
16 
 Thumb up
1.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Let's summarise the key points for those that want to know the proper rules:

1: All item cards are treated the same way, whether they are food, items discovered while exploring, or items just crafted via a craft action.

2: When an item card is found or crafted, you must perform one of the following things:
a) One of the involved characters creates a new item stack with the card adding one of their unused dice.
b) One of the involved characters adds the card to the bottom of any existing item stack that has enough slots to fit the card.
c) You discard the card.

3: If you find multiple cards at the same time (e.g., food), perform step 2 for each card. You don't need to do the same thing for each.

4: You can take option 2b) regardless of keywords.

5: When taking option 2a), set the die so durability is equal to the pictured die on the card.

6: When taking option 2b) and any keyword of the new card matches any keyword of the top card of the stack, increase the die value of the stack by the pictured die value on the new card.

7: When resolving a card with a "Discard this" effect, you remove that card from the stack without discarding the rest of the stack. If the top card is removed this way, the die for the stack is moved to the new top card.


Also note that you are always taking one action at a time and food should not be a problem for you. To see if you have a handle on the above, see if you can follow the following sequence:

A) Find a single food card, create a new stack (die value 1).

B) Craft the Shovel card, add it to the bottom of the food stack, increasing the die value as the 'stamina' keyword is shared (die value 5).

C) Use the shovel in a fight action (die value 4).

D) As a result of the action, you get more food cards. You add 1 of them to make a food-shovel-food stack (die value 5).

E) Another food card from the action is added to the only place you have room, the bottom of another stack without a matching keyword. This is a small waste as the die value won't increase, but you need the food.

E) Consume the food at the top of the stack, using one die pip and discarding the card, so the shovel is now on top. (die value 4).

F) Continue onwards, happy that you can follow how item cards work

great thanks!

1 question. The food that went into the stack that didn't have a matching keyword. It went into a stack with a present die. When consuming that food, I must decrease the die yes?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
1 question. The food that went into the stack that didn't have a matching keyword. It went into a stack with a present die. When consuming that food, I must decrease the die yes?
Yes. It's one less use of that combined item for whatever else it does, but you get the full benefit of the food.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
dlikos wrote:
1 question. The food that went into the stack that didn't have a matching keyword. It went into a stack with a present die. When consuming that food, I must decrease the die yes?
Yes. It's one less use of that combined item for whatever else it does, but you get the full benefit of the food.

Praise Jesus. I get it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
Praise Jesus. I get it.
Woohoo!

Remember, this also applies to all other item cards you find or craft. Food isn't the only one. Thus, you now know how to handle any type of item!

And once you make sure you understand the difference between white and brown icons, you'll know how to handle every type of action too!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
dlikos wrote:
Praise Jesus. I get it.
Woohoo!

Remember, this also applies to all other item cards you find or craft. Food isn't the only one. Thus, you now know how to handle any type of item!

And once you make sure you understand the difference between white and brown icons, you'll know how to handle every type of action too!

I got that. White you do, and brown is if you do.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian R
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now get yourself cursed and over to the continent! The adventure awaits!

Good luck! meeple
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zachpas wrote:
Unisus wrote:


We have a house rule that items, whether found or crafted, stay until we move on. That means food can be eaten or fire starters created and used without going through the inventory.

We are aware that this makes the game easier, but it is just more fun this way, at least for us (we decided on this not because of the food, but because we lost some cool items because we couldn't make place for them without taking another action).

This is great and works quite thematically. I think we're going to use this too.

Clearly from reading this, we've been doing food all wrong as well.

I'm not too fond of this rule, since it meddles with one of the core mechanisms of the game and makes it significantly easier. Food is pretty much the most important item in the game, and allowing for special accommodations specifically for the item of such importance to me strongly goes against the spirit of the game, regardless of "thematic" rationalizations.

Of course, in a cooperative game people are free to use any house rules they want if that makes the game enjoyable for them. But to me the enjoyment of the challenge is beating the game on designers' terms, not on my own.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always discard a stack of you want to make space, so you can never lose a newly found item, but you have always the chance to put in in and lose some basic items which you will be getting back at some point anyway
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving yourself a whole extra item stack is a pretty massive advantage. I wouldn't play that way either, but to each is own.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
Giving yourself a whole extra item stack is a pretty massive advantage. I wouldn't play that way either, but to each is own.

It's more than just one stack. It's an unlimited number of items as long as they don't move or rest. Make weapons, hunt, get lots of food, hunt again, get more, make firestarter (3 stacks of items at least, with possibly 2 food stacks), make fire, discard weapon stack, eat.
It makes hunting trivial, even with gold hunts, as you can make and use all the weapons you might need.

I play the way the game is written - you have to plan ahead and be prepared. If you leave food on the ground, it will go bad or be stolen while you're not looking.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaella CG
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmb
dlikos wrote:
skies wrote:
dlikos wrote:
robinz wrote:
dlikos wrote:
robinz wrote:
Of course you don't have to continue eating if you don't want to. Each card gives you one "eat" action. You only take one action at a time, and all are optional (with the exception of those in a red box).

So what's the difference between putting them in a stack and not putting them in a stack?


I'm not sure I understand the question. What does "not putting them in a stack" mean here?

They have to go somewhere in your inventory when you get them - and I call the multi-card "things" in your inventory "stacks", even if they only have 1 card at the moment.

There is an advantage to keeping all your food cards in one stack (with optionally another "stamina" item on top - commonly a Woven Basket), which I explained earlier - you don't have to reduce the durability of another stack when eating, which you would if you put a food card in a non-matching stack. (You reduce durability when eating, regardless - but if you keep them in a stamina stack then you only lose the durability you gained when you put them there.)

Here goes... Obviously, I'm totally missing something here... thanks for your patience. Please tell me where I go wrong.

I am a character in a two character game. I have a hand limit of 3 blues, 3 greens, and start the game with 3 durability dice

I take this to mean, that I have 3 inventory slots.

I have an item (say shovel) using up one die/slot

I hunt and gain 3 food cards.

Uh oh... I only have 2 inventory slots.

I decide to combine the food cards into one slot as they all share a keyword Food.

I put a die on 3 on one of the food cards and return the other cards.

As a later action, I eat. I reduce the die to 2 ... go through the steps as I could draw a blue skill if I chose. Apply success, check hand limit.

Done.


I think you go wrong in how you use the word slot.

You have 3 dice, so 3 item stacks. Each stack has 3 slots for you to put items.


And this is why the woven basket is good! It allows more slots in a stack - as long as the stack still shares the keyword, which food and basket do... stamina.

The stack doesn't have to share a keyword, but if it doesn't you don't increase the durability.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:

D) As a result of the action, you get more food cards. You add 1 of them to make a food-shovel-food stack.

This might be why this trips some people up... combining food with a shovel makes absolutely no thematic sense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
Clipper wrote:

D) As a result of the action, you get more food cards. You add 1 of them to make a food-shovel-food stack.

This might be why this trips some people up... combining food with a shovel makes absolutely no thematic sense.
you can carry a lot stuff with a shovel
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
randyd42 wrote:
Clipper wrote:

D) As a result of the action, you get more food cards. You add 1 of them to make a food-shovel-food stack.

This might be why this trips some people up... combining food with a shovel makes absolutely no thematic sense.
you can carry a lot stuff with a shovel
Not the way one carries a shovel.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
combining food with a shovel makes absolutely no thematic sense.

Fry up cooked on a coal shovel was a (possibly apocryphal) standard engine driver's meal, back in the days of steam...

Cheers,
Graham
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
You could use the shovel as a skewer. It'll get pretty gross after awhile, but I guess if you didn't have any other choice, you do what you got to do. You might also use it as a way of cooking the meat over the fire as a sort of makeshift Rotisserie spit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
Clipper wrote:

D) As a result of the action, you get more food cards. You add 1 of them to make a food-shovel-food stack.

This might be why this trips some people up... combining food with a shovel makes absolutely no thematic sense.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you suggesting that if you go hunting you will come back with pizza? Maybe from a nearby shop?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hemulen wrote:
Are you suggesting that if you go hunting you will come back with pizza? Maybe from a nearby shop?

Yes. But you need to play the High Cholesterol Curse.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
randyd42 wrote:
Clipper wrote:

D) As a result of the action, you get more food cards. You add 1 of them to make a food-shovel-food stack.

This might be why this trips some people up... combining food with a shovel makes absolutely no thematic sense.


Haha! I'd like to see someone try to dig a hole with that shovel.

I'm just saying that the combination of raw meat from freshly killed animals with a bamboo & stone shovel to create a single usable "meat-shovel" item that one carries with them along their adventure does not make thematic sense.

Tell you what... if I come across a commercially made stainless steel peel and a broccoli tomato pizza somewhere on the wilderness of the 7th Continent, then I'll concede the point in this case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
hemulen wrote:
Are you suggesting that if you go hunting you will come back with pizza? Maybe from a nearby shop?

Not necessarily pizza...

I frequently ambush Chinese takeout at the nearby watering hole. But I’m sure local geography plays a part.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
Clipper wrote:

D) As a result of the action, you get more food cards. You add 1 of them to make a food-shovel-food stack.

This might be why this trips some people up... combining food with a shovel makes absolutely no thematic sense.

Note that you can add your food to anything.

I have used the example of a person tying two dead fish to their bamboo armor as shoulder pads before. I've also had a situation where someone had a type of headdress with a shovel beneath it where we resolved the shovel was pointed straight up in the air from the explorer's head as a sort of crowning feature to the headdress.

So the question isn't why the food can be tied to the shovel, as it could be tied to anything. The real question is why the food makes the shovel more durable while its attached!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |