Subject: Inventory stack activation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have several combined inventory items in a single stack, must I take the benefit from each of those items in that stack that match the action taken or can I ignore some items in that stack?

A specific example is when the Bolas are added to a stack of weapons. Since the Bolas are discarded after one use, regardless of the durability of the stack it belongs to, can I choose to not use the Bolas when I am fairly confident the other weapons in that stack can handle the threat and it would then simply be a waste for the Bolas since its benefit would be unnecessary and they would then be discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You choose what to activate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can choose.

You can even choose within an single card in an item, if they have multiple brown box sections.

You have to pay the durability either way though:

Pay durability, draw cards, decide which effect(s) to use, check result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hemulen wrote:

Is this choice made before drawing Action cards as well?
Also, some cards have an "either-or" option in their results box and so does this "either-or" decision need to be made before drawing Actions cards as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
You can choose.

You can even choose within an single card in an item, if they have multiple brown box sections.

You have to pay the durability either way though:

Pay durability, draw cards, decide which effect(s) to use, check result.
The proper order is:
1. Pay durability to activate items
2. Decide how many cards to draw, applying cost reduction effects from your hand and activated items as desired
3. Draw cards, then reveal as a group
4. Apply success effects from your activated items, as necessary
5. Determine action success or failure.

As for "and/or" effects on items, you apply the cost reduction part during step #2 above, and the success part during step #4 above. The "and/or" wording just means you can apply both parts, if necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
hemulen wrote:

Is this choice made before drawing Action cards as well?
Also, some cards have an "either-or" option in their results box and so does this "either-or" decision need to be made before drawing Actions cards as well?
there are some items which have or (without and) in that case you need to decide if you want use cost reduction/mastery in the cost step and only if you didn't use that you can decide to use stars in the success phase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To all these thorough replies, I would just add that for the steady cost of 1 pip per item stack, you can use as many effects as you choose from that stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vertseper wrote:
I am not totally sure about this... I am almost sure each box is independent and you can only use one box unless there is an and/or between boxes.
No you can use all boxes that fit that action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
vertseper wrote:
I am not totally sure about this... I am almost sure each box is independent and you can only use one box unless there is an and/or between boxes.
But it sounds like you need to decide ahead of time all the boxes you wish to use from your activated stack before the Actions cards are revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
Jack Spirio wrote:
vertseper wrote:
But it sounds like you need to decide ahead of time all the boxes you wish to use from your activated stack before the Actions cards are revealed.

No. You just decide to use the stack, by reducing the pip value by 1. And of course you decide before drawing which card discounts to use. But it's not till the cards are revealed that you have to decide which effects to use that give stars - this matters for ones that are discarded on use, eg the Bolas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
randyd42 wrote:
Jack Spirio wrote:
vertseper wrote:

No. You just decide to use the stack, by reducing the pip value by 1. And of course you decide before drawing which card discounts to use. But it's not till the cards are revealed that you have to decide which effects to use that give stars - this matters for ones that are discarded on use, eg the Bolas.
OK good, choosing after the fact makes it easier. I think I was thrown off by an earlier comment that states for step #2 "Decide how many cards to draw, applying cost reduction effects from your hand and activated items as desired" which made it sound like you choose all of the items you wish to activate from your stack at this time and then step #4 is simply applying those item effects which were already chosen in step #2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The key point is you might have an effect that says -cards OR +stars. If you're using the discount option, you obviously have to choose before you draw the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
robinz wrote:
randyd42 wrote:
Jack Spirio wrote:
vertseper wrote:

OK good, choosing after the fact makes it easier. I think I was thrown off by an earlier comment that states for step #2 "Decide how many cards to draw, applying cost reduction effects from your hand and activated items as desired" which made it sound like you choose all of the items you wish to activate from your stack at this time and then step #4 is simply applying those item effects which were already chosen in step #2.

It's applying cost reduction effects from (your hand and activated items) as desired. Items in stacks that you reduced the die on are activated. You can't use effects on non-activated items.

You can choose which boxes you use at each step. However if within a box there is an or, you can only use 1 effect or the other during the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nauran R
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah okay. Again learned something new...

So if you have only the bolas with 5 (for some reasons), and you go hunting, you lower the durability and draw your cards, and after that you can still decide to NOT use the effect of the bolas (of course you dont get any extra stars, but you stay with your precious bolas).

And you could repeat that up to five times until you find the best moment to throw the extra s in...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gjertsen
United States
Acworth
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nauran wrote:

So if you have only the bolas with 5 (for some reasons), and you go hunting, you lower the durability and draw your cards, and after that you can still decide to NOT use the effect of the bolas (of course you dont get any extra stars, but you stay with your precious bolas).

And you could repeat that up to five times until you find the best moment to throw the extra s in...?

If you use the bolas, you decide that in the first step of the action resolution and the action stack decrements, and the bolas are discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nauran wrote:

That seems to be the answer I am getting. Which is good because it is better to be able to wait to throw them in at the right time. I have found it to actually be quite common that the bolas are thrown into an item stack with more than 1 durability so this issue has come up several times. Glad to get a favorable answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gjertsen wrote:
Nauran wrote:

If you use the bolas, you decide that in the first step of the action resolution and the action stack decrements, and the bolas are discarded.

No - if you don't use the box on the bolas that includes the text 'discard this', you don't discard the bolas.
The bolas are not a card that does not decrease durability, it is an item with durability.
It is only when you activate an item stack by declaring you are using a 'does not decrease durability when used' item rather than by decreasing durability, that that item has to be discarded even if you don't use any of the effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gjertsen wrote:
Nauran wrote:

The question is specifically if the bolas are part of an item stack which contains other items that also have hunting/fighting action effects and that stack is activated in step #1. After the drawn action cards are revealed and the stars on them combined, can you then choose to only use some of the effects of the items in that activated stack so that you can keep the bolas for another attempt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
gjertsen wrote:
Nauran wrote:

The question is specifically if the bolas are part of an item stack which contains other items that also have hunting/fighting action effects and that stack is activated in step #1. After the drawn action cards are revealed and the stars on them combined, can you then choose to only use some of the effects of the items in that activated stack so that you can keep the bolas for another attempt?

Yes, you absolutely can.

Decrementing a die only gives you the option to use the abilities from that stack. You don't commit to actually using them until the point where you, well, decide to use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Leon
Canada
flag msg tools
This sounds quite broken IMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vertseper wrote:

What exactly do you think is broken?

I've played this game for literally hundreds of hours, and inventory management is about 50% of the game. There are a few "tricks" you can do, but absolutely nothing remotely "broken".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vertseper wrote:

Yeah, I'd also be interested in hearing what exactly is broken here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Leon
Canada
flag msg tools

The ability to non commit activation of items. I get what you are saying that majority of the game is item management. however being able to decide after the fact might be really powerful. Having said this I checked the rules and yeah, those are the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vertseper wrote:

The ability to non commit activation of items. I get what you are saying that majority of the game is item management. however being able to decide after the fact might be really powerful. Having said this I checked the rules and yeah, those are the rules.
there are also cards in your hand which gives you Stars, which you can use only if you really need them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
vertseper wrote:

It’s offset by the the cost of a pip in durability. Which in the case of a multi item stack means you are paying with the future use of something else for a chance to save the bolas. It seems pretty fair to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |