The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Inventory stack activation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pavel Gaidarov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
It's not broken. Using a pip is a penalty enough. You have used an item, but luck smiles at you. You deside to use you shovel against that nasty bear you have just met, but as it runs towards you, it tripps on that liana, you just managed to pull your legs out of and breaks it's neck. As it happens in a split second right in front of you, your swing ripps the air and ends up in the rock you have just hidden yourself behind a minute ago. Shovel blade is bent... Digging your friend's grave will take a long time and energy. At least he gave you his father old knife before... before the accident... People can eat bear meat, right? It tastes like chicken probably. You can see the smoke from your campfire two clicks to the north,.You haven't eaten in two days... your mouth watters just from the smell of blood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Engler
Australia
flag msg tools
There are distinct and disconnected steps here:

a) First you pick the action (white box) you want to perform. If that action is on an item card, then the player who has that item card in it's inventory most be the active player, and the stack that contains that item card must be activated in the next step.

b) In step 1 of the action resolution all involved players need to decide which of their item stacks they want to activate, this is either done by reducing the die by one pip, or declaring that you are going to use a "using this does not lower the durability of the item" card.

If the durability reached 0, you remove the die.

Otherwise if I decreased the die, move it to the middle of the top card to mark that item as being activated. If I declared the use of a "using this does not lower the durability of the item" card, I move the die (not reduced in this case) in front of the "using this does not lower the durability of the item" text.

You can't activate item stacks later, and you can't take back the activation of an item stack.

An activated item stack means that all the boxes on this card where the brown icon matches the white icon of the current action can (but don't have to) be used during the following steps of the action resolution

c) At any appropriate point during steps 2 to 4 of the action resolution, you *may* decide to apply any of the available (matching action) boxes on any of the cards of any the activated item stacks. So you may end up using none of them, all of them, or any combination of them.

Any of the consequences in these boxes (like "discard this") only come in effect if you decided to use the box.

d) In step 5 of the action resolution, you discard all item stacks that do not have a die anymore. You also discard any item *cards* that have the die in front of the "using this does not lower the durability of the item" text.

(the rules for that one are actually a bit problematic, because there are items that have e.g "prevent getting injured" in their box, but the "getting injured" is happening during step 6 of the action resolution, so under a strict reading of the rules, an item that had its die reduced from 2 to 1 would prevent injury and one that had its die reduced from 1 to 0 doesn't because it's discarded before the consequence step? I generally allow such item effects to apply during the consequence step anyway, even if the item stack got discarded in step 5)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call it broken either.

Yes, it changes the balance of the game, but it's one of the only positive balances in a game that is generally pretty tricky to manage. I feel the house rules people try to use surrounding the storage of food to be far more unbalancing (and yes, many of those verge on being broken).

As indicated, you can't undo the pip reduction, so you don't get off completely scot-free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The item stack doesn't actually get discarded till the discard step, which is the last one of action resolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gjertsen
United States
Acworth
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love these forums so much. For some reason, I understood that you have to pick the exact items before the action resolution, which could result in more than one pip loss from a stack. But now I see on a closer reading that you only lose one pip, and can even decide after the result which component item(s) are used, with the exception of cards which reduce cost, which you obviously have to precommit before the results.

Game changer after some 30+ hours of game play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Engler
Australia
flag msg tools
robinz wrote:
The item stack doesn't actually get discarded till the discard step, which is the last one of action resolution.
Wrong.

Zero pip items are discarded in step 5 of the action resolution, which comes before step 6 where the consequences are applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, that'll teach me for going off my memory. Thanks for the correction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tombonator
United States
charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gjertsen wrote:
and can even decide after the result which component item(s) are used, with the exception of cards which reduce cost, which you obviously have to precommit before the results.

Isn't that wrong, as the very first step in the action resolution is declaring which items your using by lowering the durability of said item/stack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tombonator wrote:
gjertsen wrote:
and can even decide after the result which component item(s) are used, with the exception of cards which reduce cost, which you obviously have to precommit before the results.

Isn't that wrong, as the very first step in the action resolution is declaring which items your using by lowering the durability of said item/stack?

Yes, but you don't have to declare which item cards or brown icons within the stack you are using. You just activate the stack, then you can choose which brown icons to activate when it comes time to use the relevant effects.

He had thought you had to declare which item cards within the stack you were using and lower durability by 1 per card ahead of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tombonator wrote:
You have to choose which items you may use by reducing the durability, but you aren't forced to actually use the cards if it turns out you don't need them after all (e.g., not discarding Bolas when you already had enough successes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tombonator
United States
charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:
tombonator wrote:
gjertsen wrote:

Yes, but you don't have to declare which item cards or brown icons within the stack you are using. You just activate the stack, then you can choose which brown icons to activate when it comes time to use the relevant effects.

He had thought you had to declare which item cards within the stack you were using and lower durability by 1 per card ahead of time.

Ok, now that makes more sense, thanks for clearing that up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel balik
Czech Republic
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if for example Bolas card is a parr
t of an item stack and its ability box is activated - should i discard only this bolas card or entire stack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danissimus wrote:
if for example Bolas card is a parr
t of an item stack and its ability box is activated - should i discard only this bolas card or entire stack?
Only the Bolas, and only if you actually end up needing the rest of the Bolas effects (you can choose not to use them if you got enough successes naturally from the draw).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |