Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I got rid of several games earlier this year - don't remember most of them.

My current games I expect to drop - Legends Untold: Weeping Caves Novice Set – Kickstarter Edition and Legends Untold: The Great Sewers Novice Set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry
Greece
flag msg tools
Τὰ πάντα ῥεῖ
badge
mb
Just the The Lost Expedition. My collection is not big, and I am super careful with what I buy. Loved the art of this game and it even plays well with 2, just not solo. It's way too hard for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Scott
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Mistfall: Heart of the Mists was really going to be the exploration/adventure game for me. I will admit that I only gave it one play before deciding it was needlessly convoluted and wrong for me.

Certainly I played some rules wrong; certainly it would have gotten clearer if I'd played more; certainly one play is not enough to decide these things. But I could tell that I was not a good fit for a game that required this level of attention to rules, counter-rules, conditions, qualifiers, dependencies, provisos, and exceptions.

Not fun. Bye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting to contemplate on how to get rid of:

One Deck Dungeon
One Deck Dungeon Forest of Shadows
Hostage Negotiator (These 3 I found i'm not a fan of dice chuckers)
Forbidden Desert (didn't work with with group)
Android Netrunner (unpunched & unplayed)
Star Trek Deck Building Game, TNG Next Phase Edition (meh)
Valley of the Kings Last Rites (meh)
Mint Works with promo 1 (meh)
Mint Delivery (meh)
Ultra Tiny Epic Kingdoms (meh)
Helionox Deluxe Edition (didn't click for me)
Munchkin Spell Skool (never played)
Sushi Go (didn't work with group)
Gloom (meh)
Fluxx v5.0 (meh)
Cosmic Encounter (never played)
Risk Godstorm (never played)

I don't have anywhere local to sell this stuff.
I'm going to start researching on how to sell on BGG.

If anyone is interested in anything GM me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
willstar70 wrote:
I've had quite a lot of success with the Geek Market. However, you may find it tricky shifting small games where the postage can be prohibitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmb
Stately Wayne wrote:
I thought Mistfall: Heart of the Mists was really going to be the exploration/adventure game for me. I will admit that I only gave it one play before deciding it was needlessly convoluted and wrong for me.

Certainly I played some rules wrong; certainly it would have gotten clearer if I'd played more; certainly one play is not enough to decide these things. But I could tell that I was not a good fit for a game that required this level of attention to rules, counter-rules, conditions, qualifiers, dependencies, provisos, and exceptions.

Not fun. Bye.

For me, it was the cards in the game. Each one was like a page in a book with text. Really really really really really poorly designed.

It seems like all the games that riffed off the system (shadowscape & chronicles of frost) were trying to correct it, but still were pretty bad imo. There is a good game hidden somewhere in the design but I don't think the designer ever found it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation: We have assumed control! We have assumed control! We have assumed control!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
willstar70 wrote:
I've had quite a lot of success with the Geek Market. However, you may find it tricky shifting small games where the postage can be prohibitive.
Trading is another viable option. Get some games on your "Want in trade" list that you'd like to add to your collection, then go through your existing collection and mark off all those you'd be willing to part with. Under the "Bazaar" menu click "Trades" then "Direct Matches" and you will see a list of other BGG users who are wanting what you have in trade and have stuff that you want in trade in their collections. The Advanced Search lets you narrow things down (like if you don't want to ship out of country). There's lots of ways to turn that game that didn't click for you into one that would xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
See the Legendary General Forum for Back to Basics League information -- Dark City and Base Set only
badge
Join the Dark City and Base Set only monthly league -- See Legendary general forum for information
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
willstar70 wrote:

That's why I decided to raffle off Friday in the BGG 1PG last month. Not worth anyone paying cost of a >$20 game plus shipping, and I hate to think of it gathering dust on a thrift store shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
The 7th Continent On it's face this game is very much about what I love in boardgaming. I am not one of those players who researches strategies or spends time contemplating how I could have played differently. Part of what I love about playing games is the exploration of it in the moment. I love being blown away as new things about a game reveal themselves even after multiple plays. A game where it's all about that exploration sounded ideal. So I backed. EVERYTHING! Once it delivered, I set about trying to find a good group to play it with, and it just never happened. At this point I pretty much would only solo a game to learn it so I could more effectively teach it to the group. And since the game is spoilery, I didn't want to do that in this case. Then the Expansion KS rolled around. The game was a resounding success and very favorably reviewed so I backed everything from the 2nd KS. After all this game was something I should enjoy and I was gonna find the right group for it soon! Then about a month after the 2nd KS ended I finally got it to the table solo and I absolutely hated it. I had several issues with the game which I will not go into here because I do not want this to be a "This game sucks because they didn't do these things that I love!" post (I hate those arguments / threads as one of the things I love most about this hobby is there is something for everyone which means that things you love, others will hate) and so it stayed on my shelf until the 2nd KS stuff arrived and it went on the market (and sold) that day!

Damn, and I was just about to suggest we should get together and play it. Nevermind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to list off all the games I've traded or sold, but a lot of them were actually good games that I was finally honest about - I just wasn't excited to play them. Every time I thought that maybe I would play one of them, it got passed over in favor of something else. If that happens enough, you really owe it to yourself (and your shelf) to just understand that there's no shame in admitting a game, no matter how well ranked or praised, just isn't for you. And then you move it along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation: We have assumed control! We have assumed control! We have assumed control!
mbmbmbmbmb
schiavonir wrote:
Rapscallion_69 wrote:

Damn, and I was just about to suggest we should get together and play it. Nevermind!
LOL Spared you more like ;P Another thing I have come to accept in my gaming tastes is I am not a campaign or legacy game fan. After so many campaign games that fell apart (some of which, in particular Legacy games, I was the cause of that fracture) I finally accepted that it just wasn't something I cared for in Board Games. I want a start, middle and end in one session. I have tons of multiplayer games I would be willing to play should you ever wanna meet up tho! Chi-Town in the house!

schiavonir wrote:
I don't want to list off all the games I've traded or sold...
Yeah I just hit that spot where my previously owned is almost as many as I currently do. I tried to keep it to things that left my collection this year (and I still haven't covered all the soloable games I have gotten rid of, which of course made way for other soloable games to come into the collection hehehe)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lindeman
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games I've parted ways with fall into three broad categories, so I'll get those out of the way first:

Tedious
The work-to-fun ratio was too high, due to fiddliness, rules complexity, procedural game play, mechanics I didn't enjoy, etc. These are games I wanted to love, because of theme, but couldn't.
Navajo Wars
Zombicide
Triplock
One Deck Dungeon
Tiny Epic Quest
Dark Gothic

Boring
Games I didn't connect with thematically, or were too long for what they offered, or didn't quite measure up to other similar games.
Sylvion
Bandido
Jump Drive
Herbaceous
Warhammer Quest: The ACG
Samurai Spirit
Shahrazad
OctoDice
Port Royal
Mint Works

Broken
These games may be fine multiplayer, but they didn't work for me solo. Some were too easy, too hard, or the solo rules felt tacked on.
Harbour
Hardback
Agent Decker
SUPERHOT
Pocket Mars
Lagoon
Mint Delivery

Other
Dinosaur Island - Not bad, but I had the KS edition, which just wasn't worth it. I traded it for Dungeon Degenerates. I may buy the retail edition if there's a good sale.
Aeon's End - In general, deck builders are not my thing, but I may give this game another shot someday.
Castellion - I sometimes regret trading this, but there are other tile laying games I want to try before potentially revisiting this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miah
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stately Wayne wrote:

Not fun. Bye.

I recently gave up on Mistfall. Similar to your experience, I was expecting an adventure game and got something a lot more puzzley than I wanted.. Seemed like it was a good game for the right kind of player but I wasn't getting into it enough to keep trying to get the rules straight. Played a few times before passing it on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Olson
United States
Edina
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here's a list of games I'm preparing to sell off to Noble Knight.

Carrier -- I'm just never going to take the time to learn it.

Ranger -- The same.

Empires in America: The French and Indian War, 1754-62 -- I played enough of it.

We Must Tell the Emperor: The Great Pacific War, 1941 to 1945 -- I like WWII Pacific games but I don't like playing the Japanese side.

Sherman Leader -- I have or have played all the other Leader games. I just don't need another one.

And I'm on the fence with Too Many Bones. It is a great game but as Charles said, it requires a lot of playing to get to really know it. I don't know if I have the time or desire to learn.

I don't know if it's appropriate to say it here (and I apologize if it's not), but if anyone is interested in buying any of these, send me a geek mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burgle Bros.. It's an enjoyable game, and love the theme, but just plays so much better co-op than solo. Between that and a general dislike of spatial relations games, I was never getting it to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Simpson
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question!!

Really the only solo I have given up on is Underground Railroad. GREAT game... but I could not help but feeling sad after playing it. History lesson is superb. But I only want to face that one time.

I am on the fence with a couple...
Massive Darkness - Enjoyed the game, but it is just SOOO much stuff.
Hostage Negotiator - the app makes it a ton easier to play. So why do I have the board game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually made a lot of changes to my collection since late last year. I've gotten rid of the following games...

Hoplomachus: Origins - It just wasn't as much fun as I was hoping a tactical gladiator game would be. The solo trials were a good idea, but, in practice, the game never gave me the sense of fun I hoped it would. Swapped it for This War of Mine: The Board Game, because nothing says fun like that game.

Star Wars: Imperial Assault - Another game that I had high hopes for that fell flat for me. The solo app looked good, but the AI instructions were clunky. Traded it for Sword & Sorcery.

Legends of Andor and Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition) - Two games I wanted to like more, but I just never got into. Andor was too much of an optimization puzzle for my tastes and Dawn/Zeds was too much of a tower defense game for me. I grouped them together because I traded them together for Gaia Project, which will probably be too Euro for me--but it's worth trying out.

Viticulture Essential Edition - Another game I expected to like based on its high rankings, but I just never got into it. Part of it is the theme (I don't drink), but most of it was the lack of excitement and fun. Hoping the Automa card I flip next doesn't block me from the space I need didn't grab me at all. Traded it and the Tuscany expansion for Darkest Night: Necromancer Bundle

Swapped The Lost Expedition for Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth (indirectly). I enjoyed the original, but prefer the Dredd theme.

Traded all my The Networks stuff for Dark Souls: The Board Game stuff. The Networks was probably a poor choice for solo gaming (no one to share the goofiness with). Despite lots of negative comments on BGG about it, Dark Souls has been a lot of fun for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glaya B
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't gotten rid of any recently, but I'm hoping to put a few into the Gen Con math trade.

Friday - I haven't been inspired to play it in years. It's just taking up space.

The Colonists - Setup is too much of a pain. I never feel like pulling it out.

Darkest Night (Second edition) - I really wanted to like this, but the theme is too dark for my taste, and it feels too restrictive only having one action per turn. I played about half a game and then packed it away.

Incredible Expeditions: Quest for Atlantis - The rules are a bit rough around the edges. It just can't compete with all the other great cooperative games available now.

Lord of the Rings - I tried to play this once, but it was so dry I gave up.

Villages of Valeria: Deluxe Kickstarter Edition - I'd much rather play Race for the Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
splindeman wrote:
I have to admit that I've totally had my fill of this game solo but it retains a niche in my collection because it's a wonderful, portable, quick playing, worker placement game that is great when playing with others.
Quote:
Totally agree with this one. Terrible solo or multi-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
LOL Spared you more like ;P Another thing I have come to accept in my gaming tastes is I am not a campaign or legacy game fan. After so many campaign games that fell apart (some of which, in particular Legacy games, I was the cause of that fracture) I finally accepted that it just wasn't something I cared for in Board Games. I want a start, middle and end in one session. I have tons of multiplayer games I would be willing to play should you ever wanna meet up tho! Chi-Town in the house!

Yes I'm really tired of the campaign games trend. Most of them fall flat after 3 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agramore wrote:

My current games I expect to drop - Legends Untold: Weeping Caves Novice Set – Kickstarter Edition and Legends Untold: The Great Sewers Novice Set

Oh no! I really dig that game. Geekmail me if there were rules issues that were getting in the way of you enjoying it. I was a bit frustrated at first (rulebook kinda sucks and has mistakes), but put in some time nailing down the rules with the designers online and was able to find the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Rapscallion_69 wrote:

Yes I'm really tired of the campaign games trend. Most of them fall flat after 3 games.

You just described my experience with The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cmmayo wrote:
agramore wrote:

Oh no! I really dig that game. Geekmail me if there were rules issues that were getting in the way of you enjoying it. I was a bit frustrated at first (rulebook kinda sucks and has mistakes), but put in some time nailing down the rules with the designers online and was able to find the fun.

No, it just didn't click for me. I'm an odd one out who didn't like Mage Knight, Too Many Bones, Gloomhaven, and any number of other popular games. I think there is a kind of fiddliness and puzzliness that are just not my style. Too much work for not enough immersion for my particular tastes. No aspersions on anyone who loves those games.

Thanks for the offer, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
agramore wrote:
No, it just didn't click for me. I'm an odd one out who didn't like Mage Knight, Too Many Bones, Gloomhaven, and any number of other popular games. I think there is a kind of fiddliness and puzzliness that are just not my style. Too much work for not enough immersion for my particular tastes. No aspersions on anyone who loves those games.

Thanks for the offer, though!

I like you until you say you don't like a game I love
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Clearview
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schiavonir wrote:
I don't want to list off all the games I've traded or sold, but a lot of them were actually good games that I was finally honest about - I just wasn't excited to play them. Every time I thought that maybe I would play one of them, it got passed over in favor of something else. If that happens enough, you really owe it to yourself (and your shelf) to just understand that there's no shame in admitting a game, no matter how well ranked or praised, just isn't for you. And then you move it along.

I really enjoy all of the games I've purchased (to varying degrees, of course) except for Terraforming Mars, which I don't dislike exactly but I find myself critiquing it constantly while I'm playing it and after 15 plays I've decided it's not for me. I hope I can find somebody to trade it to soon, my storage area is pretty small so even one (fairly large) unwanted game taking up space is irritating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |