Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agramore wrote:
cmmayo wrote:
agramore wrote:
I got rid of several games earlier this year - don't remember most of them.

My current games I expect to drop - Legends Untold: Weeping Caves Novice Set – Kickstarter Edition and Legends Untold: The Great Sewers Novice Set

Oh no! I really dig that game. Geekmail me if there were rules issues that were getting in the way of you enjoying it. I was a bit frustrated at first (rulebook kinda sucks and has mistakes), but put in some time nailing down the rules with the designers online and was able to find the fun.

No, it just didn't click for me. I'm an odd one out who didn't like Mage Knight, Too Many Bones, Gloomhaven, and any number of other popular games. I think there is a kind of fiddliness and puzzliness that are just not my style. Too much work for not enough immersion for my particular tastes. No aspersions on anyone who loves those games.

Thanks for the offer, though!

Feel the same way, though I do like Star Trek Frontiers so I imagine I might like Mage Knight, but haven't bothered trying it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boblis
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
willstar70 wrote:

I'm just about there too. And I love ST games and deck builders...still..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

I like you until you say you don't like a game I love

The feeling is mutual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmb
agramore wrote:
cmmayo wrote:
agramore wrote:
I got rid of several games earlier this year - don't remember most of them.

My current games I expect to drop - Legends Untold: Weeping Caves Novice Set – Kickstarter Edition and Legends Untold: The Great Sewers Novice Set

Oh no! I really dig that game. Geekmail me if there were rules issues that were getting in the way of you enjoying it. I was a bit frustrated at first (rulebook kinda sucks and has mistakes), but put in some time nailing down the rules with the designers online and was able to find the fun.

No, it just didn't click for me. I'm an odd one out who didn't like Mage Knight, Too Many Bones, Gloomhaven, and any number of other popular games. I think there is a kind of fiddliness and puzzliness that are just not my style. Too much work for not enough immersion for my particular tastes. No aspersions on anyone who loves those games.

Thanks for the offer, though!

Legends Untold is not a well established game yet (it just came out recently). From what I have seen (I have the game too and played a half-game session), the majority of solo players have not had much good to say about it (for example, read Beyond Solitaire's review). I am on the fence. I do not like the graphic design. I do not like the transition mechanics from room to room, nor the lighting mechanics. I do not like the art of the heroes. You could play them in Agricola and they would fit. I don't like the "careless/alert" mechanics. The skill cards have so much text (sort of like Mistfall) that they are a booger to grasp. I have to think really hard to find anything I like honestly. However with that said, if I really wanted to take the time to grok it all and put in the effort to get all the rules down, I do think it could be enjoyed. I think what prevents me from wanting to do that is time and some of the things above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Eraelan wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
Recently non but in the process of:

Grimslingers. Not optimal as a solo game, more interesting multiplayer. For which I... have better games anyway.

The base solo game isn't bad. I enjoyed it a lot, actually. I soured when I picked up the expansion thinking it would make it better. It did not. And I've yet to get any one to try the game with me.

Well the first scenario was nice and then it went downhill. Only 4 scenarios, largely not replayable, didn't convince me.

Set-up time for the expansion, and humongous footprint, means I didn't manage to get myself convinced to try it :/

That's fair - I only ever finished the first one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fallout, replaced it with Fallout: Wasteland Warfare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hepta2502 wrote:

I'd consider it but Warfare is pricey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. @kinson
United States
Grant
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
hepta2502 wrote:

I'd consider it but Warfare is pricey.

Scored it for $10 in the recent Gamestop board game clearance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ting Lawrence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to hold an auction every quarter. The two common criteria is whether I've played it in 2 years or whether I have the desire to pull it out to learn and play. If it's a no, then I will likely sell/trade (of course I have some games that will NEVER leave my collection).

I'll just mention the ones of note from my most recent auction:

1 - Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island: I liked it, but it was too punishing for me. I also decided to stick with First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet.

2 - Race for the Galaxy: I hadn't played this one in a while and I have the app. I also decided to stick with Roll for the Galaxy. However, I did have some regret parting with it so maybe I'll get it again someday.

3 - Roll Player: I liked it, but it was too stressful for me in picking out the right dice and the right row. Also I didn't feel satisfied upon completing a game. So I guess it was a combo of getting tired of BYOS and not getting enough reward for my efforts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Schneider
Germany
Stockstadt
flag msg tools
badge
always injured...
I like this question Maybe yet another geeklist with Solitaire Games Not On Your Table Anymore?

Anyway. I just sold One Deck Dungeon, Brook City and (hopefully, hasn't gone through yet) Too Many Bones: Undertow.

I like One Deck Dungeon but this is one of the very few games where I play the online version.

Undertow: I really like the game. I just think the original game gives you more options and I'd rather play that one. And I'm hoping to get a good price for it

Brook City: I love the theme, absolutely amazing and so much fun. And when you play it, it just feels way too abstract. I need to collect these five clue tokens, so the best way is going here and there and then doing, etc.
Not once did the game deliver the theme after setup. But not a bad game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shahrazad wasn't enough of a challenge, and since it's a very abstract game there was no theme to make up for the lack of challenge - here's my review.

Choose Your Own Adventure: House of Danger was almost not a game, and the story didn't make it worth the effort - here's my review.

Deckscape: Test Time Awful as a solo game. No connection at all to the story that's supposed to be there, and just a bunch of disconnected riddles to solve. Review will be published as a combined review of several escape room games. Hope the others are at least sliggtly more immersive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Todd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wittier Remark
badge
Wittiest Remark
mbmbmbmbmb
The City of Kings: complete miss for me. characters all felt the same, the huge array of stats felt arbitrary, and the quests didn't get me going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Recently I sent Drako: Dragon & Dwarves, Apollo: The Game of Our First Voyages to the Moon, the old 7th Continent cards and Legacy of Dragonholt to a teacher in Alaska to play with his students.

Either I found a good home for games I won't play anymore, or I got scammed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson

Boulder
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve got a few that are on my shelf ready to sell (just got to find the time to put them on eBay) and a couple that I’m debating how much longer I’m gonna keep.

To sell

Legends Untold: Weeping Caves Novice Set
Legends Untold: The Great Sewers Novice Set I feel a little bad because I haven’t bothered to learn these and have zero interest in doing so. These will be the first game I’ve sold without learning them. Part of it is how long fulfillment took, guess I lost interest in the mean time. The nail in the coffin was how long the rules are (for what was billed as a quick game) and reading people’s impressions here.

Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game
I really wanted to like this game and had been looking forward to getting a copy for a long time. The art is awesome and the rpg elements are cool, but in the end there isn’t enough game behind it all for me.

Terraforming Mars
Love the theme, just felt like I was missing too much as a solo game with this one. Surprised it ranked so high on the 1 PG list.

Ironclad
Backed this on KS (I’ve since re-evaluated how I approach Kickstarter). It’s
a fun game...just not fun enough that I’ll pick this game over others on my shelf.

Thinking about selling

Street Masters
Really enjoyed this at first but don’t have much desire to play it anymore. Unfortunately I didn’t cool on it til after I backed Aftershock...May give it another chance when that arrives.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game
A little torn on this one. Really enjoyed the game/art/scenarios...but it has been sitting I played for quite a while now. I’m not sure why I don’t play it more so I may give it some time. If this continues to go unplayed I’m just gonna have to be realistic and get rid of it. Out of this whole list though, this is the one I want to try and get back into (even if all I do is complete the content I have).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another on I'm considering getting rid of is Mage Knight. It's been sitting on the shelf for years. Have to play it again and make a decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sold The 7th Continent fairly recently. I'd played it maybe twice and just didn't have the drive to play it again. The idea of the game is great, but the mechanisms didn't grab me, and the price I got for it was too good to pass up. The expansions showed up the other day from the kickstarter, so I'm going to offload those soon.

Skull Tales: Full Sail! is almost definitely going up for sale. I've tried reading the rulebook a number of times, and I can't get through it. Too much Ameritrash bloat. Needless extra rules I'll never remember. Modifiers. Shame, because the minis are pretty cool.

Brook City might be on the chopping block. I've enjoyed a couple of my plays, but I prefer Street Masters in almost every way. I'll probably give this a few more months to find its niche before making my decision. I either sell or paint.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game is getting one last chance. I bought the last expansion because it had the wife's favourite Arkham Files character in it, but the first scenario was a dreadful slog. It's never going to be more than a solo-fest from here on out, and I just don't like card games. My brain doesn't 'see' what's going on well enough. One last chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm toying with the idea of selling Teotihuacan: City of Gods. I haven't played it for quite a while and never get the urge to play it. And yet I'm not sure...maybe the expansion will improve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Kober
msg tools
Simon - could you please advise what is the best way to sell while living in UK, are You using Facebook, BGG or something else. I'm going to cull my collection a bit, not sure where to start. Many Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I know the best way but I've had quite a bit of success selling games on the geek market. 28 games so far.

Besides that, I've sold a few to people I know.

You could try ebay but I have not tried that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek J
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My last few notable sales:

Thunderstone Quest: Barricades Mode - I've posted about this a few times but the solo mode just didn't do it enough for me. I don't fault the barricades mode though, I think overall the game is just too light for me. I still have a friend who has Barricades Mode so if I want my fix I'll grab his copy.

Folklore the Affliction - Got it through KS but never felt the desire to open it so off it went.

Terraforming Mars - Solo mode just didn't gel with me. It was exciting at first but given how random the cards came out I just could never pin down a strategy I wanted since it was luck of the draw if you ever saw the cards you needed. I'll wait for the iOS to come out before I jump back into this.

I'm thinking of selling Scythe next since the digital app seems like a good way to get my fix on since I only play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek J
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
WingTale wrote:

2 - Race for the Galaxy: I hadn't played this one in a while and I have the app. I also decided to stick with Roll for the Galaxy. However, I did have some regret parting with it so maybe I'll get it again someday.

I just tried the app last night for the first time and I'm hooked. Played 5 games already since last night and this morning.

I think owning the physical game for me would be folly since the only way I could play would be with the Gathering Storm. The AI in the app is more than good enough since this game feels like multiplayer solitaire. As long as I have somewhere where I can practice combos and such that is good enough for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Young
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got rid of "FRIDAY" https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/43570/friday. As has been already mentioned, I was doing the same thing over an over and the game really didn't hold my interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kobi800 wrote:
Simon - could you please advise what is the best way to sell while living in UK, are You using Facebook, BGG or something else. I'm going to cull my collection a bit, not sure where to start. Many Thanks in advance.

I sell most of mine on eBay. I often get "max £1 fees" deals (as opposed to 10% of final value inc shipping) which I try to take advantage of. Have a pile of 7th Continent just waiting for a deal to hit my inbox now.

If using eBay I advise sending everything tracked. Lots of scam artists out there who will claim to have not received their item and demand their money back, and eBay supports the buyer over the seller most of the time. Tracked covers you. Although I've had far fewer problems selling board games than my other junk. Maybe gamers are a more honest bunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Waite
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey Simon. What was it about architects of the West Kingdom you didn’t like. Was thinking about getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jimwaite wrote:
Hey Simon. What was it about architects of the West Kingdom you didn’t like. Was thinking about getting.
I did enjoy it for a while. I had a number of enjoyable games with it. But I did think the automa could have used a little work and wasn't as polished as some others I've experienced. This became more apparent the more games I played.

It's really not a bad game though. I've parted with many games that I still have some fond feelings before. Money and shelf space can be really tight so I have to be ruthless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |