138 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] | 

1 Player guild» Forums » General

Subject: Solo games you've parted ways with recently (and why) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Anathem
msg tools
Thunderbolt Apache Leader - This may not be the most helpful comment for those considering this game, but even though I enjoyed this game, it never really called my name from the shelf. At a certain point, that has to mean something even if I cannot put my finger on the reason.

Considering:

Warhammer Adventure Quest: Just fell flat. Pulled it out for the first time in two years and still did nothing for me. Likely the next to go.

Dragonfire - In the end, I just think Shadowrun is a better game and I don't need two games (or huge boxes)this similar. I haven't played my Trollclaw expansion, so i may give that a go then move this along.

Legendary Encounters - The IP is the only thing keeping this around. The gameplay is fine and quite smooth, it just doesn't feel strategic enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vgambit
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tore through a solid chunk of my "Shelf of Shame," so here goes:

Baseball Highlights: 2045 - This game is probably great multiplayer, as you only need to keep track of your own stuff, so it's easy to follow. But solo, you're having to deal with both your cards and the AI's, and because of the back and forth nature of cardplay, it's really easy to forget who's turn it is, or what phase you're in on the current turn. Is that last card for you, or them? Etc. I kept running into that problem, especially as I preferred to play this game while, e.g., listening to a podcast. That problem got old, so I got rid of the game.

Race for the Galaxy - Even after the initial hurdle of the iconography, this game just doesn't do it for me. Multiplayer is sorta semi-passable, but solo just drags. Was never really feeling this game.

Arcadia Quest: Inferno - This game represents everything bad about Kickstarter to me. Creators exploiting FOMO with tons of expensive kickstarter-exclusive material, especially when it comes to gameplay content. But also the over-reliance on minis. I mean, I get that there's a large contingent of people who like games with tons of minis for them to paint, but I feel like it provides too much leeway to let the game design fall flat. There's barely enough game in this box, IMO, to justify all the plastic. Move here, roll a die, deal 2 damage to that orc. Blah, blah, blah. I played one turn against myself solo and immediately wrote the game off. All 4 boxes of it.

XenoShyft: Dreadmire - Another bad look for board gaming. The game is just not well-designed. There's a reason why, despite both games being published by a large publisher and including a solitaire mode, no game in this series has ever cracked the 1PG Top 100 solo games list. The reason is, this game sucks to play. It's a deckbuilder, but it's just... I just peeked at a review that put this game over Aeon's End, and I can't imagine why. I actually still haven't sold this game, but I hope to soon.

Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers - Cool game I bought for maybe $15. Got it to the table to play vs myself once, I think. It was okay, but not great solo, and hard to convince people to try, so away it went.

Tail Feathers - Got this because I liked the theme and wanted to play with my then-partner. Figured x-wing gameplay + cutesy mouse vs rat birdfights would be a hit. She never even gave it a shot, so this never got to the table, as 2P games aren't exactly board game meetup hits.

Leaving Earth - Bleh. A bit too procedural for my tastes. The only randomization is your success check and the missions you have available. Once you know what it is you wanna accomplish, it's fairly straightforward to kinda just plan it all out, accounting for things like random failure. Really boring overall, but worth less than 5 plays.

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game - Choose actions, roll a die over and over, then lose. No thank you.

Space Alert - This game just doesn't work solo. Too much going on. Probably fun multiplayer, but I never bothered.

T.I.M.E Stories - Fun once. Tried 2 or 3 other cases. Meh. Gone!

Thunderstone Advance: Numenera - The solo rules aren't fleshed out well enough. It's always either too easy or too hard. Still trying to get rid of this...

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game - Yet another game that tries to hide a thin game behind a bunch of components. Then again, maybe I'd simply grown out of games like this by the time I spent the money on it.

Secretsofthesky wrote:
Considering:

Warhammer Adventure Quest: Just fell flat. Pulled it out for the first time in two years and still did nothing for me. Likely the next to go.

I just did the same, and the experience led me to remove it from my "for sale" list. Different strokes, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vgambit wrote:
Race for the Galaxy - Even after the initial hurdle of the iconography, this game just doesn't do it for me. Multiplayer is sorta semi-passable, but solo just drags. Was never really feeling this game.

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game - Choose actions, roll a die over and over, then lose. No thank you.

Two of my absolute favorites! Somebody will be happy to buy your copy of SH: DA. Losing often makes winning even sweeter.

As far as Race is concerned, I guess approaching it as a solo game after having played it a lot against living, breathing oppontents might be the way to go. But if you like neither, I guess there's no saving you...

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts on these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
vgambit wrote:
Yes, I felt the same way and parted with this one some time ago. I'm gradually purging my collection of all roll to resolve games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi

After taking a break from gaming, I recently repurchased some of the games I remember thoroughly enjoying, then after a few plays realised that the memory cheats somewhat, and I sold them on:

Elder Sign (plus Omens of the Pharaoh and Gates of Arkham): Simply could not find a way to enjoy this despite trying many expansions and house rules - as a simple yahtzee dice chucker it cannot keep my interest over more than 30 minutes playing solo. I really want to like it but it's too messy and long.
Pandemic: The Cure (plus Experimental Meds): Really enjoyed it for a few games then the creeping realisation set in that it was simply way way too random - overpowering any tactics I tried to employ. And the lack of a board (why??) means it loses most of its theme. It became frustrating rather than fun and I decided I would never choose to play it over base Pandemic. And Meds just ramped up the randomness.
Tiny Epic Galaxies: I did enjoy this - I like dice drafting - but I didn't get any sense of building my galactic empire, and after a few plays I was simply looking at the mechanism not the theme. Although I may repurchase it...
Tiny Epic Defenders: Not too bad, but the difficulty starts to ramp up too quickly, it becomes a memory game (I write down what has been added to the enemy deck because why not), and you can lose purely based on the order of the action cards in the final shuffle - twice I stood and watched helplessly as my capital got sacked before I could take my turn. Broken design, so it had to go.
Forbidden Island: Good game but it suffers from simplicity. I never didn't enjoy it, but there's not much going on. A gateway coop game that gets repetitive quickly, and which I struggle to enjoy solo - and like The Cure I would never choose to play this over base Pandemic.

I also tried some new games, some of which fell flat:

Pandemic: Fall of Rome: Now this was a test of willpower. I bought it, sold it, bought it, sold it, and now want to buy it again (but I know I'll sell it...). Great theme, and interesting mechanisms and play, but at the end of the day it is Pandemic with knobs on. The lines of approach mechanism for the cubes mean you are never really sure about the state of the board and the level of threat, and the combat dice add a clever thematic touch but I tire of having to generate and deliver the legions. Basically I love the concept but tire of the reality. I haven't played enough base Pandemic yet to get tired of that game, and when I do and need something more I will probably get this again.
Arkham Horror: The Money Pit, er, Card Game: I knew it was a mistake to get this as there was no way I was going to invest hundreds of pounds in a game, but curiosity got the better of me. And after setting it up I realised that the game mechanism itself was clunky, unclear, and I felt like the decision space was so narrow I was on rails. Being scenario driven was too limiting, and I really would rather read a book.
Mythos Tales: Meh. I can see the appeal of the investigation mechanism but it seemed very mechanical with signposted decisions. Playing it solo was dull - presumably it gains a lot of the fun from discussion and cooperation.

As for selling, I do all of my selling on Ebay - I don't mind setting a lowish purchase price or paying the fee as it's more important to get rid of the thing (I treat the loss as a kind of rental fee) - and I always send it tracked as mentioned above to avoid scammers.

SJS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steedjohnsteed wrote:
Elder Sign (plus Omens of the Pharaoh and Gates of Arkham): Simply could not find a way to enjoy this despite trying many expansions and house rules - as a simply yahtzee dice chucker it cannot keep my interest over more than 30 minutes playing solo. I really want to like it but it's too messy and long.

Agreed! Man, I tried to like that game but in the end I had to give up.

EDIT: And I fully agree with your sentiments on Tiny Epic Galaxies as well. In fact, I'm looking for a cheap copy and I'm feeling a bit guilty about it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The July EsCon Flea Market is up and running, so I've put about 15 games up for sale, and sold 3 already (I sold 7 in the January edition):

Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia - I bought a used copy purely to help play test the Automa. The game is nice looking, but not really my thing, so now the testing is done, it was time to pass it on.

Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game - Picked up a cheap copy a while back, but decided that I didn't really need a 3 Legendary Encounters titles. Keeping Aliens/Predator, so Firefly is the one to go. I've never watched the show, so it was an easy choice.

Secret Weapons of the Third Reich - Played a couple of times, but didn't find the game play as intriguing as the concept. Someone else will get more enjoyment from it.

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another recent one from me: Kepler-3042.

It was a fine enough game, but wasn't getting played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek J
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
userid122002 wrote:
Another recent one from me: Kepler-3042.

It was a fine enough game, but wasn't getting played.

Snagged this for $20 at a recent Amazon sale. For that price I'm fine if I don't like it and I'm not expecting much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Simpson
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bottom of the Ninth. I have yet to see any strategy except hurling dice and see what happens. Not my thing.

(Baseball Highlights 2045 with the campaign season was/is AWESOME!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just parted with:

Pandemic: Fall of Rome - I've never been much of a Pandemic fan. But the theme of this appealed to me, plus the fact that it actually has official solo rules. It's a bit on the easy side though and replayability is pretty low. I just don't think I need any Pandemic related games in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So that's it; now that I've also sold Pandemic: The Cure I now have no Pandemic themed games. I did have a number of enjoyable games with this but I think I've played it out now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sold Palm Island, because i never liked it and am done with my review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently traded Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom and some expansion content.

I really liked that the artwork and setting were so unique, but ultimately this adventure, event card, skill check, type of game is just not for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I've sold Palm Island, because i never liked it and am done with my review.

I should probably get rid of my copy as well. I like the game more than you do, but I can't see myself packing PA over Maiden's Quest when going on a long train ride...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently traded away:

Black Sonata: As much as I appreciated the clever game design, this just wasn't what I look for in a solo game. I'm not much of a mystery solving person...

La Granja: No Siesta: Was fun for a few games, but three games in and I could see that I'd be using the same strategy in every game going forward. I have La Granja and I'd rather play it solo.

SSO and SSO: First Captain: A Kickstarter I couldn't pass up at $19. But I should have. The rulebook content was as hard to understand as it was to read (tiny-white-text-on-a-black-background layout was a bad choice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Codeword Cromwell fell really flat for me which was a bummer as I had been so looking forward to it. It's gone.

Shadowrun: Crossfire is another one that I looked forward to so much and traded or sold (can't recall) shortly after buying. I couldn't get to the theme--it was just count/match/color, etc. Every now and then I regret that decision and wonder if I should have given it more of a chance, but I don't regret that decision enough to try to reacquire it. (I have Dragonfire and that one is easier for me to play and (sort of) have the theme remain.)

War of the Worlds (not the new one--the magazine one). I haven't gotten rid of it yet but want to... nobody wants it and with good reason. The solo mode stinks; the art is poor; the gameplay is dry. Ugh and double ugh. I bought it with the intention of making a video and I regret it...

Tomb Raider Collectible Card Game. I liked this game enough to do a video on it and even post a solo variant (which I've never done before). That said, I sold it recently as I need to downsize and was being realistic. It wasn't a 'must have' for me, though I played it quite a bit whilst I had it and still find it enjoyable--but really only if you were a fan of the video game, as I was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold a bunch at the EsCon Virtual/Live Flea Market:

Martians: A Story of Civilization - Got this used at my FLGS about 18 months ago. First tried the horrible rule book and got stuck. Later printed out the better, newer rule book, but was just never motivated to really try it.

Secret Weapons of the Third Reich - Think I solved this one, to where the solo player can't lose.

Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game - Got this for $2 in a B&N sale. I already had Alien and Predator, so didn't see a huge need for a 3rd, especially seeing as I've never seen the show.

The Shadow Over Westminster - This is the only game I've ever bought on a whim, without knowing anything about it, apart from that it soloed. Just never got into it. I wasn't keen on the art.

Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia - Bought a copy to help Morten play test the expansion. As frequently happens to me, after intense playing over a month or so, I get burned out, so sold it for what I paid. Got to assist Morten for free, so that's good.

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing a big culling and made a geeklist on this topic. Copy and paste what you wrote above and add to it if you like!

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/259055/culling-explanatio...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got rid of One Deck Dungeon: Forest of Shadows since I prefer the gameplay of original ODD and I'm not a big enough fan to get anything out of owning both.

Pulp Detective had to go since I don't keep a game just because it looks cool (and in my opinion that's all it has going for it).

Eight Epics wasn't that bad, but I realized that I would never play it again so why keep it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been vacillating about Teotihuacan: City of Gods for a while now; wondering whether the new expansion would address my concerns or whether I should just move on.

In the end I decided that I just don't enjoy having to balance the goals of the game (building and decorating the pyramid and extending the avenue of the dead) with having to maintain an abundant supply of cocoa (which you seem to have to spend almost anytime you do something else not concerned with generating it).

I also found the management of the Teotibot quite fiddly and difficult to internalise; needing constantly to refer to the rulebook to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Clearview
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
I've been vacillating about Teotihuacan: City of Gods for a while now; wondering whether the new expansion would address my concerns or whether I should just move on.

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out! The only thing in the expansion coming to mind that might have helped is that power that lets you pay a single cocoa for every move instead of the normal method, though you'd still have to collect it occasionally. Learning to plan your moves to take advantage of the cocoa system is definitely a bit tricky, it seems to be an issue for a lot of people.

Adding more rules to Teotibot probably wouldn't be the best fit for you either in that case! I almost think playing with extra bots is helping me in that regard, the more you have to play out the actions the quicker it sinks in I guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sarnowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've finally managed to sell Runebound some days ago. I was really dumped for the game since it felt kind of Mage Knight'ish (and MK is one of my favourites) but it simply didn't click. The combat is too long and takes all the fun off the whole experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart De Vuyst
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
Devil Pig Games Volunteer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatherey wrote:
I've finally managed to sell Runebound some days ago. I was really dumped for the game since it felt kind of Mage Knight'ish (and MK is one of my favourites) but it simply didn't click. The combat is too long and takes all the fun off the whole experience.

Sold that one too not that long ago, I found Runebound a very boring experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
See the Legendary General Forum for Back to Basics League information -- Dark City and Base Set only
badge
Join the Dark City and Base Set only monthly league -- See Legendary general forum for information
mbmbmbmbmb
valzi wrote:
I'm doing a big culling and made a geeklist on this topic. Copy and paste what you wrote above and add to it if you like!

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/259055/culling-explanatio...

this was such a great idea. I read through it and found a few games to research based on your comments, and others to remove from my wishlist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] |