Subject: Solo games you've parted ways with recently (and why) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Petrichor - This finally went after sitting for a few months on my shelf as I knew after my first few games that it wasn't a keeper. Might have been different when playing for others but was very unsatisfying as a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Castellion. Hasn't been played in 2 years, have played today, hated it as much as before. It needs to go, I need to stop purchasing Oniverse. Nothing is up to Onirim's quality level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek J
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Barrage. Sold on geek market for a little under what I paid but that's ok. Was getting so-so reviews for solo and I decided it was better to just bail out now rather than hold on to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Castellion. Hasn't been played in 2 years, have played today, hated it as much as before. It needs to go, I need to stop purchasing Oniverse. Nothing is up to Onirim's quality level.

Way to go!

All Oniverse games look very unappealing to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
414448 wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
I've sold Palm Island, because i never liked it and am done with my review.

I should probably get rid of my copy as well. I like the game more than you do, but I can't see myself packing PA over Maiden's Quest when going on a long train ride...

And now I finally got rid of it!

And the expansion to Roll Player - good riddance!

And The Draugr, after realizing that that was the last game on my shelf that I would ever try.

And One Deck Dungeon. That game "shrunk on me" for every time I played it after the first ten or so plays I did for the first review I ever wrote.

And I also got rid of Warhammer: Age of Sigmar – The Rise & Fall of Anvalor. I really liked everything about that game except that the decisions were too obvious in the solo game, no matter what difficulty level I played on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
414448 wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

Way to go!

They were nice point of entry but now they've outstayed their welcome for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
414448 wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

Way to go!

They were nice point of entry but now they've outstayed their welcome for me.
Yeah, I have to admit that so far, I concur. I didn't like Sylvion and I have quickly tired of Aerion. I still enjoy Onirim but I only have the app version of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Tatu
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
414448 wrote:

I should probably get rid of my copy as well. I like the game more than you do, but I can't see myself packing PA over Maiden's Quest when going on a long train ride...

Wow, I had never heard about this game but it looks absolutely great! Thanks for mentioning it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerbique wrote:
414448 wrote:

Wow, I had never heard about this game but it looks absolutely great! Thanks for mentioning it!

It's pretty good for sure! But it has it's flaws (the rule book is awful - there is a new edition in the works though, and the improved rule book is available in the files section on the game page here at BGG).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerbique wrote:
414448 wrote:

I mentioned it in my Palm Island review. I don't have it yet but for all intents and purposes, it is the superior palmable game. Palm Island is an interesting design, but a rather uninteresting game.

You are French and not reading my reviews! I'm offended. (not)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Tatu
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

Actually, I sometimes do... Since people were praising Dark Dealings so much I got interested to the game and your review convinced me I should better pass on this one.

However, I would never have read a review of a game named Palm Island with a tropical beach on the cover. This one I'm already sure I have no interest for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerbique wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

Actually, I sometimes do... Since people were praising Dark Dealings so much I got interested to the game and your review convinced me I should better pass on this one.

But... I love the game
Fun fact: the game is from Mike of One Stop Co-op Shop's fame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Tatu
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're a truly excellent reviewer then, as your subjective feelings towards the game did not obscure its contents, the way it plays, and how a player with different taste could apprehend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy with the expansion that lets you play solo. IT just didn't click with me.

Arkham horror: the Card game- Again didn't click with me.

Eldritch Horror - was pretty good. Elder Sign replaced it by a mile or at least it play better solo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
414448 wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

Way to go!

Onirim is the only one I don't ADORE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Doyen
msg tools
I've sold roughly 30 games this year. Many of them I enjoyed but felt like I had played enough and needed to make room for new things but here were a few that didn't stick:

The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth
I wanted to like it. The card play was cool but it kind of grew stale towards the end of the first campaign. Never really felt immersed in the game.

Imperial Settlers: Empires of the North
Disappointing solo mode. Just way too easy. I would have preferred a scoring chart vs a super easy points threshold. Was hoping for an improved solo mode over Imperial Settlers. I think I liked Imperial Settlers more though. Also felt considerably lighter than Imperial Settlers.

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42
Wanted to dip my toe into war games so I tried this one out with the solo ai. There's just too many rules to keep track of and edge cases that had me constantly on the forum. I also didn't like how tokens would take up basically a whole hex and cover up the terrain you were on, which was important to know. Too fiddly.

Thunderbolt Apache Leader
Another war game I bought around the same time. Didn't really like all of the pre game prep. Had an arcade helicopter scroller kind of vibe to it that was cool but wasn't enough to keep me interested.

Space Empires: 4X
The solo modes were okay but I feel like this game really needed to be played multiplayer and I don't think any of my friends would be into it enough to keep it around.

Big Trouble in Little China: The Game
Definitely a lot of fun and a total love letter to the movie but preferred it multiplayer. Hard to get people together to play long games like this.

Great Western Trail
I just don't understand why people dig this one so much. Total flop for me. Choices weren't fun. Theme was boring. Took way too long.

A few I liked a lot but grew tired of:

Arkham Horror: The Card Game
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Imperial Settlers
Baseball Highlights: 2045

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Simpson
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Core Game. I liked the first edition, and I have kept those. But this one was basically the same chuck dice and hope for the best. No reason to add this to my collection. See Ya!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ddoyen wrote:

Thunderbolt Apache Leader
Another war game I bought around the same time. Didn't really like all of the pre game prep. Had an arcade helicopter scroller kind of vibe to it that was cool but wasn't enough to keep me interested.

I feel 100% the same. I would have been a lot more into it if I didn't already have and love Too Many Bones. Weird, huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sierra West - Despite the interesting central mechanic for programming and planning your actions, the rest of the game did not cut the mustard. The deck building aspect was distinctly underwhelming and the four different modules added very little depth. The solo mode is well done, but the game itself is just not that interesting (for me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game - such a great game. Probably one of the best I've played. But the commitment is just too much. Too hard to keep buying expansions and sleeves and then getting around to playing it. Sold my collection off so I could buy more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jreilly89 wrote:
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game - such a great game. Probably one of the best I've played. But the commitment is just too much. Too hard to keep buying expansions and sleeves and then getting around to playing it. Sold my collection off so I could buy more games.

This must have been a difficult thing to do then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Jreilly89 wrote:

This must have been a difficult thing to do then!

Yes and no. Somewhat tough to let go, but I hadn't played in about two months. Plus, looking forward to the stuff coming to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hornet Leader. It just sat there. I looks pretty fantastic, but the mission preparation seems so extremely daunting and un-interesting. After a few months I realized that I'll probably never play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amun Rah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Terraforming Mars One of the best beat your own score games, but just feels better in multiplayer, unwieldy deck and less than stellar components.

Every other games I've parted ways with share some of this. Unpractical or worse solo modes than the games kept. Even if some games have very good qualities, like the art in The Lost Expedition, or the infinite replayability of Terraforming Mars, those tend to be big deal breakers.

As a rule, one game comes, one has to go, but aside from small filler games, about 5-10 only. As the games on the current rotation are too good, it is less and less likely for them to be replaced, or for me to be swayed by subpar, hyped games.

If I want a quick to setup and play game, Oniverse or Noctiluca.
If I want a strategic game, then Aeon's End.
If I want to create or try a deck, LCG's.
If I want to master a game, Spirit Island.
If I want a fun, engaging and chunky game, Too Many Bones.
If I want an euro, Anachrony.

Diversity in themes (Sci-Fi, Fantasy), genres (euro, ameritrash, abstract), mechanisms (push your luck, area control, resource management, RPG, deck building and deck construction). You name it it is there. Replacing a single game means that it is more likely to have a hole in the roles filled and the need for a second game. And for specific themes and mechanisms, those tend to be one of the best games in their categories. It is likely that there is or will be a better game, but it is very unlikely that there is a better suited game for this specific collection.

At least that's what I say every year whistle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hall
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arah wrote:
Terraforming Mars One of the best beat your own score games, but just feels better in multiplayer, unwieldy deck and less than stellar components.

This is one I sold recently. I was a beta tester for the IOS version and played it many times. I quickly discovered that playing this one solo, I would rather play the app than the physical game (I have too many games so app's are easier to break out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] |