Subject: First 2 new curses down rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight I managed to clear the Beacon in the Night curse, having previously cleared Prison of Clouds. For those that haven't read my guides, my playstyle is strongly survival based! I play slowly but rarely die. I pretty much only play solo, though may tackle the Crystal song with a friend.

I'm also playing with all the expansions, but no easy mode stuff.

Some non-spoilery thoughts first.

I really liked the prison of clouds, although I felt I didn't "get" all the clues, it made enough sense to me to work out what I was supposed to be doing, even if I wasn't sure why. Took me 8 sessions, probably around 25 hours, playing with Amelia.

Beacon in the night was also a really nice curse, I thought it was a lot easier (or at least quicker) than the prison of clouds, but it might be that I just felt I knew exactly what I was supposed to be doing. The clues were pretty clear if you've explored the continent well, and the objective is much more clear from the clue (compared to Prison of Clouds). This one took me 2 sessions, but they were much longer, I had this evening free and played a lot. Probably around 8 hours total, playing with Fogg.

More specific thoughts on Prison of Clouds
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I loved the feeling of powering up balloon ability as the curse progressed. Flying felt tough at first, but towards the end it was almost trivial, the hardest landings made simple.

In terms of interpreting the clue, it felt like every
landing space

Had something to find that helped in some way, so I got a bit confused if
I couldn't find something

Still not sure what some of those clues meant!

I also liked starting somewhere completely unknown and trying to get my bearings as to where I was compared to the things I know.

This was my first run playing with rockworms, so killing the first huge worm I faced was pretty satisfying. The hunting knife is my favourite 350 card, and I found it really early in this game and kept it all run.

I also played with Path of Repentence for the first time, which is really hard on this curse if you keep
hitting the forced rest action

XI exploration card. Wasn't even close to clearing it before the clock ran out. Was terrified about what would happen when the clock ran out.
It wasn't that bad.

And Beacon In The Night
As this one starts in a well known area
I've taken the river shortcut to the start point a few times, some of them intentionally!

In my old runs I've always liked to collect the friendships of the various animal life, so thought I'd start this the same way while building my hand to start working on the clue. Once I'd made it to the
penguins
to make friends, I started to work inland, then got the final clue from the puzzle
which told me to go all the way back

I had been very close to
saving the game
so glad I hadn't!

The 4 clues from the puzzle I thought I basically knew exactly where I had to go, though it turns out I had to look around a bit for the
one in the temple
And knew where I had to go to at the end
having found it during the previous curse

This meant I could plan my route pretty far in advance.

There was one stumbling block when trying to work on the
creature comforts egg
where I wanted to get a companion green hand card, met a juvenile rockworm, then literally burned my whole deck trying to tame it. I had one star and 7 star in reserve, and thought getting 2 success from 2 cards should be straightforward. Then it wasn't got injured over an over. In the end I just had to kill it so I could leave the tile and go heal up and eat. Thankfully I passed the stealth check there though. Had to draw from the discard pile for the first time since the expansion, but it was only one card and I lived!

I'd completed 2 of the 4 Little Reminder clues,
Balloon and Ignition
and was about to fly to where I thought the next one was, when I finished the creature comforts sub-quest. I finished it on the last run and was happy, but WOW was this one good. I ended up with the gold
card and boy was it useful
A mount: -3 cards and +3 for all common terrestrial movement types, basically movement became free in most cases

Which not only saves a ton of cards, but removes the whole requirement for a
walking stick stack
which removes a whole load of grief! Amazingly powerful. At almost the same time I also ended up with a really interesting Green Hand card called
which was also really strong. The new concept of
moving it back and forth from inventory to hand
was cool, but being able to attach it to my
weapon
and be able to get powerful
hunt actions
without spending durabilty was really nice too.

With these 2 bonuses, stomping the rest of the curse was pretty easy, though I actually managed to find another source of
fuel
too late for it to be useful. I grabbed the major relic from
the underground temple
but didn't end up needing it. My only regret was finding a new secret
trapdoor from a treasure map
, but at a bad time to explore it. Never found the time to go back, and seemed a bit out of the way at the end.
I was one food short for to clear the birds
and didn't fancy the cliff again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I‘m currently playing Prison of clouds and have actually no clue what the goal is
each time you land you get some more „story“ so I try to do that as much as possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first 8 hours of the Clouds curse consisted of us mapping out the entire sky map
- which is exactly what the designers don't want you to do apparently. we eventually landed in the new swamp area and got a minor balloon boost.
The second 6 hour session had us
go back up and down to two old areas - one where we found an even smaller balloon boost only after being forced to save the game due to a 50/50 draw? which felt just as stupid as the first time that happened in the original set
so I'm thinking our big problem was
not investigating the whole starting area, but the game implied there was a monster and we didnt have weapons, and then obviously staying in the air way too long.
We might actually die soon, since the last 3 times we hunted, we got
a goat
, 3 snakes and a nothing on 4 attempts, and a nothing before finally finding some food.

I'm pretty sure we're going
back to the beginning area to see what we missed there and then maybe a few other basic landing spots that hopefully lead to enough successes to hit the volcano and then the shipwreck. We have the idea of it now, but yikes, you don't really get any new info until you try to land and you can't really land in some spots without help.

But basically, the sky is soooo bland and boring that my gf's sister who HUGGED THE BOX WHEN IT ARRIVED because she loved the original stuff so much, is getting bored and cranky when we fly now. If she didn't
find a pet duck
last session, she might have he even ended early.
I'm just hoping this means once we finish a curse we can play some other stuff before going back for a new curse, cuz I definitely burnt out playing all but one of the originals back to back to back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls