Chester Hsu
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am stuck at a part (don’t want to give away spoilers), but I think I need to find something with the symbol on the banner before moving on. For example, if the symbol was “gears”, where and how do I find it?

TIA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just keep exploring Sometimes, you might have to explore the same thing more than once (there are multiple cards that have different effects)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You always can draw the card without having the banner card, but that’s not always the best way
For each such action there exists an item, journal card, or something else (the purple ones are mostly on clue cards), that will allow you to take another card.
But you have to find it first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is explained in the rulebook. Basically you can draw the card indicated, but if you have in your possession a card with the given symbol, it will have for example "+8" (or whatever) by it, and that means you can instead draw the card with number 8 more than the given number. (The card this allows you to draw will have a "thumbs up" symbol on the back, in the lower right corner, showing the number of the card that allowed you to take that one. This allows you to check you haven't gone wrong before finding an unrelated spoiler.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You’re going to have to do a bit more searching.

Spoiler 1
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You will need to find 2 gears on the island where you start.

If you want more hints:
One is directly north of where you start on 010. The other is south west.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... I am disgusted and disappointed, but I still want to believe people can be honest and sensible.
badge
If am still here, it is only for the gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
silver604 wrote:
For example, if the symbol was “gears”, where and how do I find it? TIA

You probably missed the card with the number on the flag in the place you came from. You can either look for an alternative way to proceed with your journey or you can go back and search for it. Both options could be deadly and, even when deadly, they will teach you some more about the continent and about your journey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Hsu
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the tips. I ended up
Not taking the sub and swimming somewhere else and am now on the brink of dying. I’m drawing from the Discard pile now. I saved the game, but I’m wondering if it would be better just to restart the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silver604 wrote:
Not taking the sub and swimming somewhere else and am now on the brink of dying. I’m drawing from the Discard pile now. I saved the game, but I’m wondering if it would be better just to restart the game?

Up to you, but I've been in situations where I've known I'm going to die soon, but have always found it useful to keep on going as long as I can.

For one, you might get lucky and survive for long enough to be able to get an action deck back (look for opportunities to hunt, and until you do do everything you can to minimise the cards you draw). Even if you don't, the more you see, the better you'll know the region of the Continent you've ended up in, which should serve you well on future plays, whether of that curse or another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is another option, but it requires:

finding the raft in the action card pile and building it. The sub is the safest way, swimming is definitely the worst.

The best thing about this game is, next time you will know what to do, and get through it much faster, and more safely. I love that kind of "de ja vu" of coming back to the island on multiple plays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
silver604 wrote:

If you can see animal footprints on the ground and you have anything that helps you hunt, it's worth seeing if you can replenish your action deck. If you're not too far along, dying or restarting isn't a bad idea. For your first adventure I'd recommend using the 777 card and prodigy mode cards (if you have the expansion) because it can be quote brutal for new players who doesn't yet have the hang of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls