United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Pegheads,
It's June 17th and my son is off to summer camp today. Many of you have just returned from "board gaming summer camp", a.k.a. Origins. I didn't make it to Origins this year, so I was enjoying the con vicariously through social media posts, photos, and text messages from friends who were there.

In some ways, it's always felt to me like summer is here once the school year ends, even though the season doesn't begin on the calendar until this week. When I was a child, summertime, and summer vacation, was definitely one of my favorite parts of the year. Freedom from the responsibilities of schoolwork, more time to get out and about, and yeah, sometimes, time to stay up all night playing games!

Can't do that as much any more, being an adult and all, but summertime still feels to me like a season of opportunity! So let's hear what your summer plans are, fellow Pegheads! And if they're related to board gamin'... well, that is what we really wanna know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
As for me, I plan to get in plenty of gaming this summer. It'll start this weekend; we traditionally always spend the weekend that we pick up our kids from camp visiting my uncle's family and playing board games all weekend. We aren't taking any long vacation trips this year, so I'll probably be looking for opportunities to plan game days throughout the summer as well, including hosting another game night at work and probably one at our church too.

In August, we'll be taking our oldest son off for his first year of college. That means we'll be down a person for our family game nights once fall hits, so hopefully we'll be able to squeeze in a few extra ones this summer before he leaves!

As for the immediate future, tonight is our weekly game night and the plan includes getting Space Base with the new Shy Pluto expansion back to the table to continue the story. Last week we all had fun getting start on it. Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday will all be opportunities to get some of that family gaming time I was talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Good topic, John! Highlights for me:

- Get to pick out a new game or two: My birthday was last weekend, so I've got a little cash burning a hole in my pocket. I'm strongly eyeing Obsession right now.

- A week at a lake house: my in-laws rented a lake house for my wife's whole extended family to visit for a week in July. Looking forward to plenty of gaming there.

- Gen Con: this will be my first time going. My design partner and I are going as part of the First Exposure playtest hall.

I may try to get a gaming day or two in as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Habel
United States
Butler
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We're doing a Robb-con style board game getaway in two weeks. I'm currently panicking about how to feed ~16 people, which I guess is a resource management game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Sites
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My eldest son is off to Summer Camp as a counselor this weekend. My 2nd oldest was away last week for soccer camp with my parents at Virginia Tech. My 2nd eldest and I play a game or portion of one almost every day so I missed that. I had a really great fathers day yesterday going to Kings Dominion amusement park with all of my kids (4) and then after getting home having water balloons thrown at me which is an annual tradition now 3 years running. My kids tell me they have a surprise for me outside every year. lol

Gaming wise I think my son and I will be getting back onto our Gloomhaven campaign. At work this week during lunch we will either get in extra time on our 7th Continent Icy Maze play we are 3.5 hrs into or will introduce Warsaw City of Ruin and Coldwater Crown for something new to our lunch games. Last week we played alot of San Juan and Great Heartland Hauling Company. This weekend my brother and his wife will be over so might get in a heavier play or two in I'd really like to get Ketper or Panamax off the shelf of Opportunity but we will see. Until next weekend Pegs, Get Your Game On!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YamiNoSenshi wrote:
We're doing a Robb-con style board game getaway in two weeks. I'm currently panicking about how to feed ~16 people, which I guess is a resource management game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richmond Bramblet
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving to Rochester, Minnesota here in two weeks. Then just trying to brace for the cold? If there are any pegheads in the Minnesota area, please feel free to hit me up. I'm rbramblet on all social media.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YamiNoSenshi wrote:
I'm currently panicking about how to feed ~16 people

Dinner is probably the hardest part, because breakfast can just be eggs and sausage, and lunches can just be sandwhich fixings and chips.

Dinner: If you collectively have multiple slow cookers or instant pots, you can make tasty dinners for realtively cheap and they will be so easy to prepare.

No major summer plans for this guy. I have a Necromunda campaign that is going on for the next several weeks, I have a 4th of July gaming day planned and there is going to be, for my Dad's benefit, an Axis and Allies day in July as well. My Pops is already super excited about it, so I have to get it organized and finalize the players.

This week: Going to meet up with some of the dudes in the Necromunda campaignn and go over our gangs and make sure everyone is on the same page. Saturday, I am volunteering at a library a couple towns away to help teach gateway games to families. I'm bringing Camel Up (Second Edition), Tsuro of the Seas, Galaxy Trucker, King of Tokyo, and Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King (to have a next level game available). In case not many people arrive, I am bringing The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire or Troyes to play with the main host. I can't stop thinking about these two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
YamiNoSenshi wrote:

I attend one of these every year in the spring. Ours isn't as long as RobbCon (only 3 days & 2 nights) but we always just do a sign-up for meals; each person coming signs up either for a meal or to bring other essentials. That way no one person is responsible for doing it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello John and my fellow Pegheads!

The past few years have proven exceptionally fun at Origins and this was no exception. Among the highlights of this trip was seeing many of the folks from PiranhaPigCon from just a few months ago (thanks again, John for teaching Coimbra as it gets oto the Gaming Table with some frequency) and playing games I haven't or wouldn't get to the Gaming Table.

Among them, six of us played Sidereal Confluence, which at first blush is not a game that I though I would enjoy. Think Pit from the 1960s, add a sci-fi vibe to it, and make it all Euro-ey with turning black cubes into a blue, green, and yellow cube...and you have the recipe for this game. In the end, while it's not a fast game, it does move along at a surprisingly good speed, and that it lasts only six rounds, you better put on your big boy (or girl) pants and plan accordingly. I would highly recommend you play this game at least once, and no doubt you have, like I do, a friend who still has it in shrink from Origins 2017.

Additionally, I had a chance to play Gaia Project again (only my second game and the first we stopped after 4 of the 6 rounds due to the fact that it was 2:00 a.m.), and this time with my friend Josette, Robb Rouse, and the ever difficult challenger, Isaac Childress. The degree to which I loathe Terra Mystica is in equal proportion to how much I absolutely adore Gaia Project. It's a bit more elegant and streamlined, plays two well (unlike TM), and has a solo mode made by the same folks with whom I have had a chance to playtest solo rules (Automa Factory).

This summer will not necessarily see an uptick in playing games but I'll have a chance to do more gamery type things, including this Friday, I've been requested to sit on a panel discussion regarding Unpubs and how librarians across the region can bring them to their locations to foster creativity. Additionally, my friend Gabe Barrett from Board Game Design Lab has asked me to sit an interview for the podcast. Otherwise, I'll have my normal Thursday Board Game Nights at the Glen Echo Pub, so if you're in the area, stop by and play a game and of course getting together with friends in the local area and in Philly to play games. This Saturday, I'll be at Congress of Gamers in Rockville, MD.

That's it from here...hope everyone has a wonderful Gaming Summer!

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sidereal Confluence is one of my favourite games. I always tell people that you need to enjoy:

- trading
- negotiation
- Euro resource conversion
- not being fully in control or knowing everything thats going on
- willing to commit to 2-3 hours

And if you check all those boxes you might love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summer for me is weird now. Our kids learn year round so its not their cycle, but we have a very definite 4 seasons here in the Toronto area so weather is a big part of it. My work schedule is very busy during the audit season of January to April, so I feel like spring starts in May and then summer hits soon after.

But this year work leaked forward, and my winter sports fandom is my Raptors and they extended to the championship last week! Time is off but now I'll call this summer with lots more gaming and time off!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Werner
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got plans to play Pipeline tonight, and I hope to be playing it every chance I can all summer. I've only played it twice but I'm super excited to keep playing it. This is a game to be figured out, for sure. I'm also going to be giving a friend's copy of The Faceless a try, which I didn't back because I was worried about it being too gimmicky. We'll see if that was warranted or not.

I've had several friends express the desire to get campaigns running for both UBOOT: The Board Game and Too Many Bones. We always talk about campaign gaming but we rarely ever get it going.

I also think that Pax Pamir (Second Edition) and Set a Watch are going to be arriving within the next few weeks and I'm hoping to get some mileage out of those. I'll probably bring them to some game nights coming up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to my Pipeline arriving soon via group buy - Canada was a little later for delivery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Edge

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This week I've gotten to play two new-to-me games. Merlin (okay ... I'm not quite sure what my feelings are on this game) and Imperius (I'm horrible at this game, but very intrigued). Also gotten Sprawlopolis to table a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Werner
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summary report after playing Pipeline and The Faceless this evening:

I still very much like Pipeline, despite sucking at it. I just want to play until I build that perfect engine. One of the reasons I like this game is the gameplay does not hold your hand at all. It is punishing if you make a mistake, but it also richly rewards smart, balanced play. Once more, I can't wait to play again.

The Faceless is definitely a little gimmicky. I can't say that I regret not backing the Kickstarter. That being said, it's still a fun time and I'd recommend playing it at least once to check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Paul
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got back from one of my monthly meetups, and played:

Kingdomino - 4 players, with 2 new to the game, which they both enjoyed. The hate drafting was real ...

Scythe - I FINALLY got in my first play of this, and was not disappointed. Looking forward to many more plays in the future, with a better idea on how to properly generate needed resources.

Wingspan - Also my first ever play, and was also enjoyable. I can see where luck of the draw with the bird cards can affect strategy. I'll play this again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird family travel week means strange gaming. That said, it was my birthday last weekend and I had an invited talk that put a little extra cash in the kitty (it also will pay for my Gen Con trip).

So, gaming:
My wife and I have been blazing through Legacy of Dragonholt. We likely have two plays left. It's fun, but mostly gets me itching to do some real role-playing.

Shopping:
I went to Griffon Games in South Bend, a lovely store with a very nice lady by the counter who was happy to take my money. Thanks to a kindly person over in the Midwest Region BGG forum, I had learned that they were having a buy-one-get-one-50%off sale that day, so I went a little crazy. My plan is that this was the last game(s) I would buy this summer. I suppose I might get one or two at Gen Con, but the plan is NOT to. She was nice about the deal and just rounded everything to 25% off, which works out in the customer's favor over all.

I got recent games Carpe Diem, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Carlton House & Queen's Park, and Cryptid. I also found new in shrink copies of Rattus, Rattus: Pied Piper, and Merchant of Venus (second edition).

I was particularly happy to pick up Carpe Diem in its first edition, as I'm not keen on the change to the center movement thing they have announced for the 2nd edition, though the coloring on this edition has me itching to take a Sharpie to it. Hat tip to Kris Hickman for teaching this one to me originally. Wag of the finger to that same Kris Hickman for not being home at his place not far from South Bend so I could go there for a game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Monday night saw us get in a couple plays of Just One, two more games into Space Base with Shy Pluto, and a 5-player game of Sagrada to end the evening.

The remainder of the week has been woefully lacking in cardboard so far, but thanks to a tip from a fellow gamer in the Across the Board slack chat, as of yesterday I am now finally in possession of my own copy of Wingspan so... I'll bet you dollars to navy beans we get that to the table this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Late response from me (super busy at work, and my office's corporate network now blocks BGG so I can usually only view it via my phone, and I don't like typing lots on my phone as it's a right pain).

Quote:
So let's hear what your summer plans are, fellow Pegheads!

Schools in the UK don't break up for summer until late July, so it's still all go here for my kids. As for actual summer plans... not a huge amount. Gaming wise, Dávid Turczi is coming down to visit me for a few days in August where we'll be working on the solo mode for his Defence of Procyon III game, and possibly working on a new concept we've been discussing, provisionally called "worker place-and-write" - like roll & write, but with writing worker-placement actions instead of rolling dice. Although dice may be involved too.

Had a quiet week, but a good weekend of games:
- Played two solo games of Blitzkrieg!, filming the second one (which is on YouTube if you want to see me being utterly defeated by the AI);
- Played a game of Imperial Settlers: Roll & Write with my daughter; I managed to win, but only by 3 points. Darn, she's good.
- Played a 3 player game of Labyrinth with two of my daughters. Managed to JUST pip them to the win. Huzzah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Habel
United States
Butler
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If anyone is near Bushkill, PA, we've got a few spots for our gaming weekend this coming weekend. Shoot me a DM if you want some details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE:

D&D Friday turned into game night and I ended up bringing Mansions of Madness: Second Edition and Who Goes There?. We played MoM first, since the other can have player elimination. We played a scenario this group played once before but lost. I have also played it an additional time with my kids and lost. This was my third time through and we engaged the meta engines...AND STILL LOST! This scenario is 4/5 and I just don't know how people can even beat the 5/5 scenarios; seems impossible.

At one point, my friend's dog came charging in the house from outside, sneezing and shaking her head...sprayed by a skunk point blank in the face! Skunk spray doesn't smell like a skunk close up. It smells chemical, almost, or like you took the essense of an onion and condensed it. However, we are hardcore and played until the wee hours in the morning (I got home at 3 AM).

Rather than pulling out Who Goes There for the second game, which I knew would take 3-4 hours, we decided to play another MoM scenario...which ended up taking 3 hours. I think that late/early in the morning we were pretty punchy and distracted. Oh, and we lost again, this time to a 3/5 scenario. Gotta say, our egos are pretty bruised, but we'll survive.

Finally, these same fellas got together Sunday for practice games of Necromunda: Underhive. One of the D&D group members is the local FLGS/comic shop owner, and there is a Necromunda campaign starting at his store. We had a ton of fun, and learned a lot in advance of the campaign. Should be a blast! Anything is a blast when these dudes are around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YamiNoSenshi wrote:
If anyone is near Bushkill, PA, we've got a few spots for our gaming weekend this coming weekend. Shoot me a DM if you want some details.

I don't get up there much anymore, but my out-laws (former in-laws) live in Easton, PA (and I'm from Philly), so reading Bushkill, PA takes me back...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thursday brought the final play of Legacy of Dragonholt to complete my 10x10 line for that game. Then we played 4 games of Cryptid (which it turns out my son LOVES).

Friday was Sagrada, Gizmos, Galaxy Trucker, and three more games of Cryptid.

Saturday my son and I tried out Gobblet Gobblers and Tokyo Highway at my FLGS, then I finished a game of Through the Ages online AND LOST BY ONE DAMN POINT. Game dev night saw plays of both my prototypes and those belonging to a friend.

Finally, on Sunday we played Elder Sign Gates of Arkham and got knocked around real bad by Yog Sothoth. One more game of Cryptid, Unlock! Night of the Boogeymen, and Carpe Diem closed out the night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.