Marcus S.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hey all! I am requesting some feedback on a mechanic I have came up with and would appreciate any response. I am no board game connoisseur so perhaps this mechanic already exists somewhere.

"Convoy Mechanic"

Implemented: For a card based tactical co-op or single player.

Setup: stack enemy "convoy" deck from weakest to strongest, with strongest on bottom and all cards face up.

Goal: Kill the "boss" or bottom card

Description: Player(s) will play cards to attack showing face up card(s). If a card on "convoy" deck is damaged and NOT destroyed it slides off the deck and adjacent to it. Whenever the enemy takes its turn all face up cards attack/act. This means if cards are not fully killed they can add to the attack power of enemy. Player(s) may not have enough time to fully kill each enemy one by one.

Theme: I thought this mechanic lends well to guerrilla style warfare, where an insurgent group (players) ambush a well equipped and dangerous enemy. The enemy convoy is rushing through a narrow road in dense forest to attack Player(s) city and players lose if the enemy convoy reaches the end of road.

Any criticism is appreciated, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gillespie

Grandview
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like that concept.

Option for an attack to damage another unit into inoperability/reduced attack value, perhaps? So maybe it does 30/40 damage, but that damage reduces the attacking power or defensive power of that unit because the machine gun was damaged or the shielding is down or whatever. Similar to a duel - you might not kill your opponent but you wound them and they're less effective and/or completely ineffective.

I see "weakest to strongest" stack; what about random and/or custom instead? Add some variability in there or let opponents stack their deck in a specific way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
"what about random and/or custom instead? Add some some variability in there or let opponents stack their deck in a specific way?"

Yes, definitely!I was thinking that some support cards have abilities that activate when revealed, like a Repair Truck taking the place of an injured unit and placing that injured unit on top of the deck. Some cards might even be a little larger or have "tabs" that stick out from the deck to represent some sort of artillery force that can fire behind the cover of other units in the deck. Example: Artillery truck is stronger and put on bottom of deck but has an attack value that sticks out of deck and continually attacks. Maybe even multiple decks of enemies or have disabled units form a vanguard convoy and start to stack with other disabled units.
You could randomly draw enemy cards and place them in order based on back of card, then turn the deck up and see what comes out of it as you play.

It doesn't necessarily have to be "weakest to strongest" but some way to have a natural curve of difficulty as you go through the deck. I also like your "inoperability/reduced attack value" suggestion; seems like there is a lot of good tactical depth to be found there, like a "sniper" can one shot soft targets, but against heavy armored can only take disabling shots or can only spot to add accuracy/attack value to artillery weapons.

Thanks for the feedback "paulyforfun"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Something similar is done in Wipers Salient. All face up enemies deal damage...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
Wipers Salient is a game I should check out then, never hear it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Baba
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you have a PnP? Sounds intriguing to try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sounds cool and I can see potential in the idea, quite a bit of it. The only problem I see with this is that it could end up feeling like a big grind, however, grinding through something can be a good thing as long as you make it fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Klitz
United States
California
flag msg tools
govmiller wrote:
Something similar is done in Wipers Salient. All face up enemies deal damage...

Yes, I made a tower defense type solo deckbuilding game with similar gameplay as Wipers Salient so I purchased that game to compare it to mine. The enemy deck in Wipers always goes from weakest 3 to strongest 12 while my game has 2 waves of enemies (weaker 3-8 and strongest 9-13) and they are each shuffled for variety. I have re-themed my game many times from medieval to Hannibal vs. Rome to the 2nd day at Gettysburg to Army of Darkness movie, lol. The convoy mechanic as you call it does work and the more variety in that convoy the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sequel to Barbarossa did a similar thing: El Alamein.

There is a set of target City cards you stack in numerical order to fight through, though players only fight one city at a time and they don't stack up over time if they took too long to defeat the current target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
dbaba133 wrote:
Do you have a PnP? Sounds intriguing to try!

I am currently working on a PnP! I should have one soon.

HumanJerky wrote:
Sounds cool and I can see potential in the idea, quite a bit of it. The only problem I see with this is that it could end up feeling like a big grind, however, grinding through something can be a good thing as long as you make it fun.

Yes, I have to be mindful to have a pleasing flow for the game:
A puzzle-y combat phase where you work through an enemy deck and then
a more peaceful phase where you have a lot of options to improve you "engine" for getting through a battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls