Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tombonator
United States
charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For example, if I'm standing on terrain card 001 and it only shows to the west a fog card with the revealing terrain card 002. If I move to the west on terrain card 002 which reveals another fog card north of it also putting into play terrain card 003. That tile has a fog card and terrain card east of it which is 004. If I go back to terrain card 001, now there is a fog tile north of it, which would put into play terrain card 004 when explored. Can I choose the explore action from tile 001 now, even though initially it wasn't there when I first started on that tile? Or would I have to go back to terrain card 003 and take the explore action from there revealing the terrain card 004 now directly north of 001.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there is an arrow there pointing to your tile, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humberto Villela
Brazil
Porto Velho
RO
flag msg tools
badge
1984 - Big Brother was watching me.
mbmbmbmbmb
tombonator wrote:
For example, if I'm standing on terrain card 001 and it only shows to the west a fog card with the revealing terrain card 002. If I move to the west on terrain card 002 which reveals another fog card north of it also putting into play terrain card 003. That tile has a fog card and terrain card east of it which is 004. If I go back to terrain card 001, now there is a fog tile north of it, which would put into play terrain card 004 when explored. Can I choose the explore action from tile 001 now, even though initially it wasn't there when I first started on that tile? Or would I have to go back to terrain card 003 and take the explore action from there revealing the terrain card 004 now directly north of 001.

No. You can only move from a terrain to another if the terrain you're standing on has an exploration arrow in that direction.

Imagine that maybe to the north (004) there's a cliff that's kinda impossible to climb up, but can be somehow climbed down (to 001). Some flavour texts on the terrain card offers hints regarding these situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jam Warrior
msg tools
I didn't want this to be the answer, but judging by the rules I can find as long as the gold arrow is pointing at the terrain you are on, then you are fine to take that action.

So in your example when standing on 1, you can explore the fog at 4 as it has an arrow pointing at you even if you don't have an arrow pointing back at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
By "fog tile" are you talking about "cloud tiles" that you can only explore by balloon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jam Warrior
msg tools
humbas wrote:
tombonator wrote:

No. You can only move from a terrain to another if the terrain you're standing on has an exploration arrow in that direction.

Imagine that maybe to the north (004) there's a cliff that's kinda impossible to climb up, but can be somehow climbed down (to 001). Some flavour texts on the terrain card offers hints regarding these situations.

That's not what I'm seeing in the rules. They say as long as you have 'an uninterrupted series of terrain cards' you can move there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can reveal the fog tile from 001 as it has a gold arrow pointing at 001.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to use capitals for terrain tiles, and lower-case x for exploration cards...

You start on tile A, which has one exploration tile to the west...

xA

You reveal x, reveal the terrain card B, and add its exploration card...

x
BA

You move to B, reveal and resolve x, now you have C...

Cx
BA

You can either move to C and reveal x, or move back to A and resolve x. Having done so, you end up putting D in play...

CDx
BA

And you can move from A to D (or vice versa) as they're connected via B and C.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
humbas wrote:
tombonator wrote:

This isn't correct, so long as there are linked terrain cards the move is legit. You just can't move across permanent event cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do all actions on your terrain, on anything connected to your terrain with these big gold arrows, on your hand, in your inventory and in your satchel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humberto Villela
Brazil
Porto Velho
RO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamwarrior wrote:
humbas wrote:
tombonator wrote:

That's not what I'm seeing in the rules. They say as long as you have 'an uninterrupted series of terrain cards' you can move there.

Of course..IF the terrain is already revealed, which is not the case in the example presented by the OP. He wants to reveal terrain card 004 that is north from his position on terrain card 001 without having an exploration arrow pointing from 001 to 004.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tombonator
United States
charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
I'm going to use capitals for terrain tiles, and lower-case x for exploration cards...

xA

x
BA

Cx
BA

You can either move to C and reveal x, or move back to A and resolve x. Having done so, you end up putting D in play...

CDx
BA

Cheers,
Graham

Thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humberto Villela
Brazil
Porto Velho
RO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P.S. My choice of word "move" may have been a mistake, since I meant "you cannot take the 'pathfind' action" in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
humbas wrote:
jamwarrior wrote:
humbas wrote:
tombonator wrote:

Of course..IF the terrain is already revealed, which is not the case in the example presented by the OP. He wants to reveal terrain card 004 that is north from his position on terrain card 001 without having an exploration arrow pointing from 001 to 004.
the exploration card has 4 arrows going in each direction, so even if I don’t have an error pointing there I can explore it from my card as the exploration card is attached to my terrain (as it automatically attaches itself to all adjacent terrains)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
humbas wrote:
P.S. My choice of word "move" may have been a mistake, since I meant "you cannot take the "pathfind" action in that case.
which is wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humberto Villela
Brazil
Porto Velho
RO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
humbas wrote:
jamwarrior wrote:
humbas wrote:
tombonator wrote:

the exploration card has 4 arrows going in each direction, so even if I don’t have an error pointing there I can explore it from my card as the exploration card is attached to my terrain (as it automatically attaches itself to all adjacent terrains)

imo, the reason all exploration cards have 4 arrows is not related to where you can access them from, but because of a practical nature. If the designers had to create different sets containing just arrows pointing west/north/south or different combinations of 2 or 3 arrows the card count would be unnecessarily bigger.
If a numbered exploring icon wasn't need to explore/reveal an exploration/terrain card, there would be no need for such icons in the first place; one would just need the numbered green box in order to know which terrain card to put there.
Of course I may be wrong, but the Rulebook (as it is) is not enough for me to change my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
humbas wrote:
P.S. My choice of word "move" may have been a mistake, since I meant "you cannot take the "pathfind" action in that case.
which is wrong
Yes, sorry humbas but you are also wrong on this. Once the exploration card is in play, it's arrows point to all adjacent terrain cards. Through those arrows, the exploration card adds the pathfinder action to all those adjacent terrain cards. (The arrow/number -- or lack of one -- on the terrain card is irrelevant.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humberto Villela
Brazil
Porto Velho
RO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
Jack Spirio wrote:
humbas wrote:
which is wrong
Yes, sorry humbas but you are also wrong on this. Once the exploration card is in play, it's arrows point to all adjacent terrain cards. Through those arrows, the exploration card adds the pathfinder action to all those adjacent terrain cards. (The arrow/number -- or lack of one -- on the terrain card is irrelevant.)

Hmmm... Maybe it's your choice of words (and explanation), but I do feel more inclined to accept I'm wrong after all. The game may become a bit easier for me, since I've been playing the other way. And "easier" might be a welcome change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
You can do all actions on your terrain, on anything connected to your terrain with these big gold arrows, on your hand, in your inventory and in your satchel

As stated this are the rules, there are no special rules for exploration cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:

xA

x
BA

Cx
BA

CDx
BA

Cheers,
Graham

So, wait a sec. Following your example, i could be standing on A and choose to reveal the x that is to the East of D? I wouldnt have to move to D first to do so?

Cause i TOTALLY havent been playing it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slyde wrote:
therealbuserian wrote:

xA

x
BA

Cx
BA

CDx
BA

Cheers,
Graham

So, wait a sec. Following your example, i could be standing on A and choose to reveal the x that is to the East of D? I wouldnt have to move to D first to do so?

no, as it is not connected to A
you can only act on connected cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
slyde wrote:
therealbuserian wrote:

xA

x
BA

Cx
BA

CDx
BA

Cheers,
Graham

No, nor could you reveal D from B. The exploration tile can be revealed from any terrain tile which it is orthangonally adjacent to.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
ah ok. yes, that IS how i have always understood it, and how i always play.

I just misread the example therealbuserian gave. i see my error.

Just happy to learn ive been playing correctly all this time!

thx all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
humbas wrote:

Hmmm... Maybe it's your choice of words (and explanation), but I do feel more inclined to accept I'm wrong after all. The game may become a bit easier for me, since I've been playing the other way. And "easier" might be a welcome change.

This question has come up in the past and the developers confirmed that the fog cards can be explored from any terrain card that touches it regardless of movement choices on the terrain card. I can't seem to find the reference at the moment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humberto Villela
Brazil
Porto Velho
RO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robmcarthur2001 wrote:
humbas wrote:

This question has come up in the past and the developers confirmed that the fog cards can be explored from any terrain card that touches it regardless of movement choices on the terrain card. I can't seem to find the reference at the moment...

Don't worry about finding it, I believe you. Now I'm not only inclined to accept I was wrong, I fully admit it.

I only have to thank this wonderful community for allowing gamers worldwide to help each other.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |