Subject: Question about event cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mi-KhaEl- Archangelus
Germany
Chemnitz
flag msg tools
Dear explorers,

I've got a question about numbers connected to terrains. Are the put in play face down or even face up as soon as a terrain is revealed? As we understand the game, the card is not put in play until the corresponding action has been taken.

Thanks for your help,
Mi-KhaEl-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You put an Exploration card with the indicated number face down in the space. They have an action on the back to flip them, at which point you deal with whatever is on the card (some stay in play until you choose to take an action, the icons on the card make clear how that one works) and replace it with the indicated terrain card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi-KhaEl- Archangelus
Germany
Chemnitz
flag msg tools
Sorry, but that doesn't answer my question. Exploration cards are clear to me. I'm talking about the event cards you discover via "spot" or the other arrow symbol I just forgot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian R
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you talking about hidden numbers? Permanent events? I don't quite understand what you're talking about...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are referring to available actions on the terrain cards that result in revealing a card, yes, you do need to take the corresponding action before taking and revealing the card (and succeed, in most cases).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They go face up when you take the action to draw the card. I’m pretty sure it says somewhere in the rules. If they didn’t go face up there would be no way to flip them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is covered in the rule book on pages 14-15. The top of page 15 deals specifical with Permanent Events which seems to be what you are referring to. And, yes, like everything from the Adventure Deck you first read the back of the card when you pull it, then -- unless specifically instructed otherwise -- you flip the card over and deal with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they are specifically the consequence of the action. Let's look at a sample card:

When put into play, you would add the exploration cards to the yellow arrows only. Then we look at the rest of the card. There are two actions we can take on this card. The first one is a move (walk) action at the bottom left and on success, allows us to move to another card.

The second action is an Investigate action and has a 1+/0* cost. The successful consequence of this action, in it's white box, is to draw card 005.

Note that all actions come like this. They have a cost in cards you must discard, a number of successes required, and then white and/or black consequence boxes showing you what to do if you succeed or fail.

If you want to use that second action, you must usually draw at least 1 card due to the 1+ cost. If two people take it and they have a card that gives a free success to Investigate actions, they may choose to take the action together and apply a -1/+1 modifier so it is now a 0+/1* test and they use their success to pass without drawing any cards.

In any case, if they pass they action, that's when 005 is drawn and resolved. In this case, it is a permanent event card so it is put into play so it points to the terrain card where the action was like so:

Note that the attached permanent event changes the terrain in two ways. Firstly, the gold icon on the golden arrow disables the Investigate action on the terrain, it can't be taken any more. The permanent event also adds a new action to the terrain card, a climb action with 1+/2* difficulty and has both a white and a black consequence.

Get used to spotting these sorts of things. Everything you do in the game is an action and has consequences to follow. The white boxes around the numbers on the terrain show you that they are part of the consequence of the associated action and you MUST take the action AND succeed at it if you want to put that card into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi-KhaEl- Archangelus
Germany
Chemnitz
flag msg tools
Thanks, that was exactly the answer I was looking for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert van Bruggen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question also
That attached permant event adds a new action!
Can you take that action more then ones?
i ask this because you can fail it, and maybe want to try it again.
Also on other event cards you sometimes have to do an action who tells you to draw a card and that card gives you something but then there are more of those same numbered cards can you do those events also more then ones to try to get the other cards also?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Urso McDaniel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FreakGIB wrote:
I have a question also

Yes, unless the success/failure box says otherwise.

FreakGIB wrote:

Also on other event cards you sometimes have to do an action who tells you to draw a card and that card gives you something but then there are more of those same numbered cards can you do those events also more then ones to try to get the other cards also?.

Yes, this is how hunting works. Be sure to pay attention to green->gold icons that you see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
FreakGIB wrote:
I have a question also

In the example above, You can take the Climb action multiple times until you succeed ( at which point the result includes discarding the attached Permanent Event.

You cannot take the Map action that put the Permanent Event into play again, however. The Gold Arrow that connects the event has the little Map icon on it, meaning that action is no longer available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's break this down so that it is clear for every situation, not just the one pictured...

IF there is a white icon effect (i.e., an action) visible on your terrain, or on a permanent event card attached to your terrain AND there is no gold arrow with a small golden icon matching the action's type THEN you may take the action.

This will always let you know if you can take an action again or not. If you are not allowed to take the action again, then the consequence box will somehow do one of the following:
• Discard, banish or return the card that had the action on it from play (maybe replacing it with another).
• Put a permanent event into play with a golden arrow that disables the action type.

As others have pointed out, we can see all the options with the example provided above. When you take the Investigate action, 005 is put into play and it disables the Investigate action by the golden arrow method. If you fail the Climb action, the consequence does not remove 005 from play, so you can take the Climb action again. Succeeding at the Climb action discards 005 and puts 026 which the resolution of ends up with a card replacing 005 that still has the golden arrow on it disabling the Investigate action on the base terrain card, but no longer has the Climb action visible either. Thus, you can no longer take the Climb action at this point as it is gone.

So apply the above points to every situation and you'll always know whether an action can be repeated. Once again, if the action remains visible and there is no golden arrow with a matching golden icon pointing at the terrain card, then you may take the action, even if you already took the action beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But even if you can take an action again (as there is more then one card to take) it isn’t always clever to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Heyming
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
But even if you can take an action again (as there is more then one card to take) it isn’t always clever to do so.

Very true. So also is the contrary. Even if you take an action and something bad happens to you, it doesn't necessarily mean you couldn't take the same action again and have a good outcome. The joys of discovery!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls