Popular Tags: [View All]
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summer is here! With the solstice behind us and the longest days of the year on our doorstep, many of us might be spending more time outdoors. While some may switch in the summer months to outdoor sports and games, some of us linger inside to avoid the sun/heat/bugs/etc.

My question for the week is...if you could convert any boardgame into an outdoor version, what would it be and how would you do it? (Obvious sport-inspired games like Baseball Highlights don’t count, of course.) This is a weird question...here’s an example! Imagine a version of Carcassonne played on a *very* large beach. Each time you draw a tile, instead of placing it on a table, you draw it in the sand, features included (build a sandcastle! Make a little road! Dig out a river!). Then to place a meeple, you can run over and stand on it! (Of course, you’ll need a bunch of friends in matching shirts to help you!) Carcassonne: The Beach Party Game, anyone?

That’s a pretty bizarre question, so what the pegheads really want to know is...what are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant Crokinole lawn board composed of Slip 'n Slides with friends on inflatable inner tubes to serve as discs. Happy flicking, everyone!

P.S. Don't forget the "one cheek" rule!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial idea was converting Wingspan. It may take a LONG TIME, but you run around bird-watching, and add those birds into your habitats. Maybe play with pen pals via email or something? It's not very practical, but would get you outside.

This week:

Friday D&D or surpise game night. If it's surprise game night I want to try and get Who Goes There? played. I think they are a perfect group for this one.

Had to move our regular game day meet up from the third Saturday, to the last Saturday of the month (this one). Space Gate Odyssey is a game I'm SUPER excited to learn and teach. I'll also bring Troyes, The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire, The Castles of Burgundy, and Wingspan. I'll update with what actually gets played.

I may show up early and play some Necromunda: Underhive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter and I had, after multiple plays of this title, creating the game Viticulture at an actual winery!

As for this week...

Mon: Proofreading, editing, and playtesting an upcoming RedImp Games title

Tue: Running Act II of my Serenity adventure

Wed: Teaching D&D through a one-shot to Mark and Brittany Maia from Board Game Coffee (if you haven't seen their stuff, go check it out, especially Mark's Gaia Project review)

Thu: Game Night at the Glen Echo Irish Pub where I'm introducing Coimbra!

Fri: Up to Philly and over the weekend, I'll get Codenames and Wingspan to the table
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! I like this.

Yard versions of games are always fantastic. Recent plays would make a game like Escape Plan amazing, sort of like a treasure hunt in a small community. Another title I would love to play a yard version of would be the new release Tuki from Next Move Games or even Rhino Hero from Haba.

This week, we are continuing our dive into Gloomhaven as two character near their approach towards retirement. I'm thinking I might knock a title off my shelf of shame and perhaps get another play of Crusaders: Thy will be Done in before the week is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a yard game of Azul, where you attach the tiles you take to a real wall?

Monday: we're trying out Chronicles of Crime, and likely playing something else as well.

the only other planned game I have is Tuesday: Manhattan Project Energy Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Light
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be Ice Cool on a real ice rink with the walls. Not sure about the fish, however.

Thursday, depending on crowd, Space Base might make a return.

I am very excited for Saturday, Wave 3 of the Transformers TCG is being released and the LGS where I preordered it, is going to give us a few hours to open our boxes deck build, and then have a constructed tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Stafford
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Western Legends. You head out with your friends to a nice desert area with some abandoned buildings, label them appropriately, and then live it up.

As far as this week, here is what I have played so far:
No Thanks!
The Artemis Project
Lignum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Masouras
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing a game of Syth tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played two scenarios of Chronicles of Crime thus far. They're fine, but I don't really feel like we're playing a board game the same way we do when we play SHERLOCK HOLMES. I guess I found my limit re: app-based games. My son really likes it, though, so I'm happy to continue playing.

Last night at [toggle Gaming], I got to play three games. First it was The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire, a really solid engine building worker placement game that I, well, sucked at.

Next, I tried Camel Up with two experienced players and got a real healthy dose of beginner's luck. I get why people like it I suppose, but not my favorite.

Finally, we tried Royals. It's a good area control game with simple mechanisms and solid play. I liked it, though the theme is very boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgueni K
Canada
flag msg tools
With the summer starting here, we're going to have to take advantage of the weather for a couple of weeks before it gets unbearably hot and humid and we have to lock ourselves up in our basement, but we still have a few games planned! And I would love to turn Garibaldi: The Escape (or any other non-combative 1 vs all hidden movement games) into an outdoor version. Everyone gets a walkie talkie to relay clues, a time/step limit per move, and then we go and get lost in some forest with multiple hiking paths!

For this week, the 3 player Gloomhaven campaign continues and we will have another 1 or 2 games of that going this weekend. So far, we've been really enjoying it and I can see why it remains that popular.

And with my spouse and I having finished Aeon's End: Legacy, we're going back to playing our other games! We'll be starting with Forum Trajanum this week since we're big Feld fans and have not had a lot of opportunities to play this one so far. And we'll probably also take out The Big Book of Madness for some coop play as it's been a while since we last played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another late response due to stupid corporate firewall blocking BGG, meaning I'm usually only checking BGG on my phone, where it's a nightmare to write anything too long.

Quote:
If you could convert any boardgame into an outdoor version, what would it be and how would you do it?

Super-sized Rhino Hero. With ladders to help get to the higher floors. And a Super Rhino who's the same size as a person. What could possibly go wrong?...

This week: Had a solo game of Teotihuacan the other night, trying out the digitally-implemented automa; worked great! Was fun to get this back to the table.

Rest of the week: Prototype construction, rules reading, and rules proofreading. No time for actual gaming!

On a plus note: I'm now going to be attending Gridcon (TING), Paul Grogan's own organised convension here in Devon, UK, in a week's time. Any other pegheads attending by any chance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Paul
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
Had a solo game of Teotihuacan the other night, trying out the digitally-implemented automa; worked great!

WHAT? WHERE? How do I acquire this before I burst into flames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hornist34 wrote:
njshaw2 wrote:
Had a solo game of Teotihuacan the other night, trying out the digitally-implemented automa; worked great!

The thread is in the game's forums, but here's the direct link to the web app: https://tallonsimmons.github.io/Teotibot/index.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Paul
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
hornist34 wrote:
njshaw2 wrote:

The thread is in the game's forums, but here's the direct link to the web app: https://tallonsimmons.github.io/Teotibot/index.html

Thank you, Nick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls