Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a game between Legend of Drizzt and Gloomhaven rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hi,

Me and my significant other are looking for a new board game to play, but can't quite decide on what to pick up next!

We've heard Gloomhaven is really good, but that's quite a bit of an investment, so we wanted to consider cheaper options. We have Legend of Drizzt, which looks and feels really nice, but it's just plain too easy. We never had much trouble going through any of the scenarios.

Most recently we have picked up Pathfinder, which we like the idea of levelling the characters, and playing through the campaign, but again, it just feels easy.

On the flip side, we also have Mage Knight but it's just overwhelming, and we never found the time to get stuck in properly (as much as we would like).

Our current favourite we have is Mage Wars, but it usually ends up being very frustrating for the losing party, hence we are thinking of picking up a co-op game that's challenging.

We are currently leaning towards Gloomhaven, but we're worried it will end up being too complex like Mage Knight, and we're not sure we will have the time to play it enough to justify the price. We've heard Descent is good, but with only the two of us we won't have a Dungeon Master.

I think, we're looking for a "better" version of Drizzt. Similar theme would be best, but we're open to suggestions.

If anyone has any ideas, please let us know. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sword & Sorcery

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Go w/ Gloomhaven. It really isn't all that complex once you get into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Folklore: The Affliction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Calitri
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gloom of Kilforth
Legends of andor
Mice and mystics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
If you own Mage Knight, and still would like to give the game a shot (even as a solo experience), I highly recommend watching Ricky Royal's (aka Richard Wilkins') highly detailed and extremely well-produced videos of both the introductory walk-through and the longer solo conquest games.

Mage Knight "Box of Delights" Walkthrough Series

Mage Knight "Box of Delights" Solo Conquest Series

They're invaluable: I like you went out and bought MK when I first started on heavier games and found the rules and mechanics overwhelming. I probably would never have learned the game without them. Now, it's one of my top 10 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
instead of buying all those other games you should have just bought Gloomhaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered, The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth as a Gloomhaven lite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bulkatarta wrote:

We are currently leaning towards Gloomhaven, but we're worried it will end up being too complex like Mage Knight, and we're not sure we will have the time to play it enough to justify the price.

Setup and teardown is a pain, there are a lot of kill all monsters scenarios and there are a lot of edge cases where rulings are unintuitive because of poorly written rules, the lay out of cards or because people are making assumptions based on other dungeon crawls (end of scenario looting anyone?). Oh and the city/road event decisions can seem totally arbitrary early on leaving you feeling you have little agency. Monster or summon AI can confuse people because they're not always the smartest tools in the box. There are also a ton of ways to game the campaign systems if required. And don't start me on the cluster**** of retirement goals.

It's like there were a tonne of great ideas, but not enough play testing or thought to fully realise how they may interact.

That said, I'm 100 or so plays in, so all of this stuff is pretty secondary to the great gameplay and unique character archetypes which are a joy to unlock every time.

At its heart, it is an optimisation game though rather than a straight up dungeon crawl, so you may want to bear this in mind.

bulkatarta wrote:
We've heard Descent is good, but with only the two of us we won't have a Dungeon Master.

There's an app for that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:
Go w/ Gloomhaven. It really isn't all that complex once you get into it.
This! It's not nearly as complex as 'Mage Knight'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would never buy a game that 'requires' an app. But the free Gloomhaven Helper app for Gloomhaven is just great and really takes the fiddliness out of the game. I play it solo with 3 characters and it is not a chore at all. Gloomhaven can be played app-free but it is really improved by this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rodriguez
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's an icon
mbmbmbmbmb
you might try looking at this list for some suggestions:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1848358/dungeon-crawler-col...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may wish to consider "Lord of the Rings: The Card Game."

If you like Pathfinder but find it too easy, you should really enjoy LotR. I find it superior all around.

If you like Drizzt and want to 'step up' in terms of complexity, there's Descent: Journey in the Dark as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
If in doubt, flat out
badge
"Unlike work, which needs some detachment and ought not to be taken too seriously, games need to be played with the utmost seriousness and dedication." - Bruno Faidutti
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
If you like Drizzt and want to 'step up' in terms of complexity, there's Descent: Journey in the Dark as well.

This every day and twice on Sunday. High fantasy fun and colourful dice-chucking monster-slashing dungeon-bashing. Download the free Road to Legend app for iOS/Android/Steam and you have a cooperative campaign and leveling ready to go.

If you like the idea of Mage Knight but can't get into it, and also want a campaign with character progression, you also might want to check out Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Lopes
msg tools
mbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
If you own Mage Knight, and still would like to give the game a shot (even as a solo experience), I highly recommend watching Ricky Royal's (aka Richard Wilkins') highly detailed and extremely well-produced videos of both the introductory walk-through and the longer solo conquest games.

Mage Knight "Box of Delights" Walkthrough Series

Mage Knight "Box of Delights" Solo Conquest Series

They're invaluable: I like you went out and bought MK when I first started on heavier games and found the rules and mechanics overwhelming. I probably would never have learned the game without them. Now, it's one of my top 10 games.

This.

If you want campain style, there's a bunch of fanmade variants with support for that.

And the 'recommended' number of players is already 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Fender
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Your list of games are very different from one another, Drizzt is a dungeon crawler while Mage Knight is not, Gloomhaven is a type of dungeon crawler (dc) but is more of an adventure game than a dc. Are you after theme driven games that are cooperative like Drizzit? Mage Knight is competitive (mostly), it is thematic for sure but definitely not a dc.

If you are wanting thematic dungeon crawler games, I would recommend

Shadows of Brimstone (pretty heavy)
Imperial Assault (Starwars Descent, Good with DM App)
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Realy good with DM App)
Folklore: The Affliction
Mansion Madness 2nd Ed
Sword & Sorcery (one of my favorites)
Last but not least is Zombiecide BP - a good fun game that is not very heavy, pretty easy to grasp and cooperative. (not story driven)

Not a true dc but I love it The 7th Continent is really good.

Here is a great BBG resource https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1848358/dungeon-crawler-col...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you very much for all the recommendations!

There are some interesting titles, and some that we were actually considering in the past but we just forgot about (Legends of Andor). Mage Knight will be very interesting to re-visit with these videos for sure as well! We've made a list of board games we found most interesting, but...

We got Gloomhaven in the end and it already arrived! We had a big voucher for Amazon, so that made the price a lot more attractive for us.

First impressions aren't that great though. The box came in a bit squished, and with some glue (?) residue on the top and sides. The paper on the side is also sticking out a bit - not exactly what we would have hoped for for that price.

As for now, we just opened the lid to see if everything inside looks good (considering the outer box isn't perfect) - and oh boy, oh boy, isn't that game a huge box of goodness! Just briefly going through the components was really exciting and we're really looking forward to just getting into it, but I think it will have to wait until weekend!

Thanks again everyone! We will have a nice list of games for future consideration, but for now... I think we will spend some time in the Gloomhaven! Nothing beats playing a new game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.