Subject: 2 Questions about item crafting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Janx Spirit
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
1 - Is it the case that you can use resources to reduce the crafting time of the item only if that resource is present on the terrain on which you are standing or on a permanent event card adjacent to the terrain on which you are standing?

To restate, there is no way to use resources from more than one terrain to craft an item, even if those terrains are adjacent to the one you are standing on. True?

I kind of wish, and it seems thematically consistent, that as you explore more of the surrounding terrain, crafting items would become easier, since you could carry some bamboo over to where the rocks are.

2 - Is it true that you always need to pay the crafting cost of an item idea, even when you are combining it with another item, and even after you have just received the idea card?

The rules and FAQ both seem to vaguely suggest that if you use the idea to combine with an already crafted item immediately upon finding it, you do not have to pay the crafting cost. I think that's not actually true, but I want to make sure. No need to make the game harder than it already is.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur Skallagrímson
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Generally speaking, you are correct. Crafting an item requires a card cost equal to what is shown, minus resources that can be found on your terrain card (or attached to permanent events, which is also "on your terrain card")
But keep looking around. Maybe you will find a
Spoiler (click to reveal)
piece of something you can pick up and take with you, like
bamboo, rock, vine...

Adjacent cards are not applicable
unless you have found something to help with that
like some sort of animal companion to go get it for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. That's the basic rule yes, you only have access to the resources on your terrain, or on permanent events pointing at it. There are other ways to get resources, but they are card specific, you will know when you have access to others.

2. You always have to pay the cost for resources you don't have. Doesn't matter whether you are adding to an existing stack or starting a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian R
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - There are cards that allow you to use neighbouring tile's resources, but without them you're limited the way you described.
2 - When there is a crafting action on the skill card, you need to take said action to put the idea into an actual item, regardless of whether you combine it or not.

However, sometimes you might find items that are already crafted (don't have the crafting action on them, for example the food). These you don't have to craft, you find them as an actual item and put them in your inventory directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janx Spirit
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t vl
msg tools
mbmbmb
JanxSpirit wrote:
I kind of wish, and it seems thematically consistent, that as you explore more of the surrounding terrain, crafting items would become easier, since you could carry some bamboo over to where the rocks are.

Fair point, but take into account that every card represents 1 day of travelling*. As a result, it's not very likely you'd choose to carry around materials for a whole day (or even several days), without knowing if you'd need them in the near future. After all, your character doesn't know what the next type of terrain is going to be from his/her point of view. So thematically it makes sense.

*How's that?
When you reach the Voracious Goddess statue you get a clue that explicitly states that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn’t interpret it like this
the hint is a Metapher, I don’t think it really means days
Especially if you take path of repentance into account
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:

Metapher? I hardly know her!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t vl
msg tools
mbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:

Please feel free to elaborate!

I haven't got Path of Repentence and it's been awhile since I read the VG clue card in question, but as far as I remember it's not a clue that can be interpreted in many ways. It's along the lines of "travel X days to the north and then X days to the east" and when you do that it turns out that X corresponds to the exact number of cards you have to follow to get there. So in that logic, cards = days

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, but that doesn’t mean, that you always travel a card a day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, in that one context cards does definitely mean days. But if you take that as a golden rule then you'll find that your explorer in 7th Continent regularly goes many days or even weeks with no sleep, and sometimes not much food. Granted, a real expedition of this nature would have some parts like that, but no-one could keep that up for long without dying. And while the game does a good job of modelling the fact that you will die if you don't eat (albeit that in the model you're talking about you will only eat one or two times per week, if that), it doesn't do the same with sleeping. Sleeping in the game does have significant benefits, yes, but in terms of cards=days it's not uncommon to go for a couple of weeks or more between sleeps, and do fine. That to me is much less realistic than just assuming the people referred to in your spoiler just went very slowly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t vl
msg tools
mbmbmb
Good point. The time lapse between sleeping and eating hadn't occurred to me somehow, but yeah, maybe we have to take it with a grain of salt then.

robinz wrote:
the people referred to in your spoiler just went very slowly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls