24 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions after my first game (Crystal Song, minor spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I started on the 009 card and found multiple ways to get off the island, yet no path led to another card. Does the game end when you leave the island?

2. Can I use items more than once during a single action?

3. Exploration/Movement: When I want to explore a new area (foggy cards) do I take the move action on the card I'm standing on and move onto the foggy card, making it necessary to move onto the foggy card to execute the action printed on its backside? Or do I take the action on the foggy card to reveal it while standing on the adjacent card, which basically means that one can take the actions printed on the backside of the foggy card while standing on an adjacent card.

4. When not playing solo, is there any kind of rule for how many actions one can take before the next player gets to take actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lap Ho Cheung
United States
Aiea
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
1. I started on the 009 card and found multiple ways to get off the island, yet no path led to another card. Does the game end when you leave the island?

2. Can I use items more than once during a single action?

3. Exploration/Movement: When I want to explore a new area (foggy cards) do I take the move action on the card I'm standing on and move onto the foggy card, making it necessary to move onto the foggy card to execute the action printed on its backside? Or do I take the action on the foggy card to reveal it while standing on the adjacent card, which basically means that one can take the actions printed on the backside of the foggy card while standing on an adjacent card.

4. When not playing solo, is there any kind of rule for how many actions one can take before the next player gets to take actions?

1. I didn't started with 009 so can't really answer this questions. But one mistake I made was EVERYTIME when you place Exploration Cards, one of those MUST replace with a Crystal Song Exploration Card (with a Crystal icon instead of roman number).

2. Same item uses multiple times in a single action? No.

3. You stay on the Adventure Card to reveal the Exploration Card (so if there are multiple Exploration Cards attach to the Adventure Card you are on, you can "check" all Exploration Card before decide what to do). You will need to take "Move" action on the Adventure Card you are on to move.

4. No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

To clarify,

1) When I restarted on a different number other than 9, it was easier.

3) Reveal fog and moving are two separate actions. You can't move onto fog, you have to reveal it first. Also, something I didn't understand is that you can move from any revealed map tile to ANY other revealed map tile, not just the adjacent one, if you do a move action. The only limitation is they have to be connected via a path of revealed map tiles (fog is not revealed).

I'm a newb to, so I hope I got that right. I think lastsurvivor00 got the other 2 correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With regard to 3), your figure should only ever be on terrain cards. You cannot move to exploration cards whether foggy or not. You cannot move to permanent event cards either, although some peramanent event cards might provide actions to your terrain card that allow you to move to a different terrain card (e.g., stepping stones you wish to cross).

Also note that any card with golden arrows on it is adding its actions to each space it points to. That is why you can take the action on the foggy side of Exploration cards from attached terrain cards. The Exploration card is pointing to your terrain card and thus the action is available to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thx for your quick replies.

Is travelling impossible in this curse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:

No.

I'm going to put some info about the island you are on below...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Did you put card 015 into play to the West edge of 009? It will be a permanent event that allows you to use an action to move back and forth to another card which has a submarine on it and a few other actions. Finding a way to get that submarine to work will give you a safe way off the island.

If you fail to get the submarine to work, there will be an action from this island that will allow you to leave by swimming, albeit at a rather high cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of additions to what's above:

- There are no special rules for exploration ("fog") cards. When face down they have a gold arrow pointing at each adjacent terrain card. It is a general rule that you always have access to anything on a card which has a gold arrow pointing to your terrain - you can take actions on that card (indicated by white boxes, like the one on the back of exploration cards allowing you to flip them), and can also use any resources printed on them, if any.

- regarding getting off the island, the game most certainly doesn't end, the game always makes it very clear and explicit when the game is over. All ways off the island result in drawing a card which will clearly tell you to clear away all cards on the board and put another specific card in play from which to continue your adventure.

Note that if you read "your adventure ends here" at any point, that means you died - so the game is over, but not in the way you probably meant.

If you have further questions about this, describe exactly what happened, in spoiler tags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thx a lot for your further insight, the gameplaymechanics around exploration seem very clear to me now.

regarding getting off the island

we managed to get the submarine into the water and we found the 2 gearwheels, but the submarine card only leads to card 21. Are we supposed to add +6 for each gearwheel we have and draw card 33 instead?
I guess I was somehow confused because there was just one numbersymbol to be found on the card when I quickly glanced over it after finding the second gearwheel.

We tried to swim off the island (18) but I noticed just now, that you actually don't make it into the water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the Blue banner on the card has both symbols, so you add the value of both to the card you would normally draw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you're supposed to add 6 for each gearwheel. The card telling you to take 21 includes the symbols of both gearwheel cards, and those gearwheel cards each have +6 on them, so when you have both you can instead draw card 21+6+6, ie 33.

It's probably worth looking up in the rules again about how to handle blue and purple banners. It's pretty vital to the game, in particular the parts that are specific to a particular Curse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
New London
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:

Sort of. For the crystal's song, as it says on the clue card, when you eventually run out of crystal curse explore cards, go to 559.

Dan

Oddly enough, going through this myself right now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimmund wrote:
DA_Maz wrote:

Sort of. For the crystal's song, as it says on the clue card, when you eventually run out of crystal curse explore cards, go to 559.

Dan

Oddly enough, going through this myself right now...

I think there is a difference between running out (no card left to draw) and being unable to place fog-cards (because there is nothing to explore).

It's definitly possible to get off the island though, I just failed to really wrap my head around the whole banner mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I stumbled upon a new situation that puzzled me:

If you get a wound card (red cards), they clog up your hand-limit. But since your hand limit consists of e.g.: 3 blue and 3 green cards, do they subtract from the blue or green cards handlimit or can you choose for yourself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither, they are red. You have no hand limit for red cards. Also note that your character card is considered to be in hand too (it also has a red hand icon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what this has to do with the Crystal's Song, but red hand cards are obviously neither green hand nor blue hand cards. You can have an unlimited number, and they don't affect how many green or blue cards you can have, in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And just to add, having reread your post - red cards don't "clog up" anything, that isn't why they are harmful. They are harmful because:

- some state cards (1 or 2 of each number) have a symbol in the corner of a blue square with a red cross through it. If you take one those, you must discard a number of cards from the action deck equal to the total number of red hand cards that you have in hand (this doesn't count the one making you discard - and note that, as Jorgen says, your character card counts).

I recommend rereading the section on State cards in the rules. Note also that you can't have more than one state with the same name/number at any one time - but if you do have to take a repeat, you still take it and do the discard if any, then return the old one.

- a lot of card effects, including action costs and consequences, are affected by states you may have. Sometimes positively - but most often negatively. Being Bloody while hunting is a recurring example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the value "6" coming from?

DA_Maz wrote:
thx a lot for your further insight, the gameplaymechanics around exploration seem very clear to me now.

regarding getting off the island

we managed to get the submarine into the water and we found the 2 gearwheels, but the submarine card only leads to card 21. Are we supposed to add +6 for each gearwheel we have and draw card 33 instead?
I guess I was somehow confused because there was just one numbersymbol to be found on the card when I quickly glanced over it after finding the second gearwheel.

We tried to swim off the island (18) but I noticed just now, that you actually don't make it into the water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the banner on the card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:

To be more blunt:

The banner on the action to use the submarine has two icons on it that look like different types of gears. There are two gear cards that you can find on the island that go into your Satchel/Journal and each card has a banner on it with one of those gear symbols and a +6 value.

If you have a banner on the action and a matching banner on an item or journal card, you are allowed to add the value on the card to the number of the card you need to draw for the action. In this case, as both icons appear on the action, you can add both gears to the action being taken. Each gear adds +6 so if you have both, you are allowed to draw the mentioned card number +12 and that is the card which gets the sub working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...figured that out about 1 second after I hit "Submit"...too lazy to delete...but thanks...and 'now I know" and etc...

Clipper wrote:
Dark_Knight wrote:

To be more blunt:

The banner on the action to use the submarine has two icons on it that look like different types of gears. There are two gear cards that you can find on the island that go into your Satchel/Journal and each card has a banner on it with one of those gear symbols and a +6 value.

If you have a banner on the action and a matching banner on an item or journal card, you are allowed to add the value on the card to the number of the card you need to draw for the action. In this case, as both icons appear on the action, you can add both gears to the action being taken. Each gear adds +6 so if you have both, you are allowed to draw the mentioned card number +12 and that is the card which gets the sub working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a minute...there are 2 "gear cards"?

Are those out in the fog somewhere???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirjam Molenkamp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Dark_Knight wrote:
Wait a minute...there are 2 "gear cards"?

Are those out in the fog somewhere???

Nope. Loot at all the terrain cards you have really carefully....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As some more helpful pointers...

Gear 1 general location:
The gear is in the North-East, still on the corpse of its protector.

Gear 1 hint:
There might be something that guarded the corpse and scared you off the first time you went. That card is now in the Past and you can go back and check again for a rather different effect.

Gear 2 general location:
The gear is in the South-West; it was stolen by a thief and buried in a hole.

Gear 2 hint:
Look very carefully at the terrain card you are on. If you're not sure what to look for, check page 19 of the rulebook again. Perhaps there's a mechanic of the game that you have forgotten exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are quite good...thanks!

Clipper wrote:
As some more helpful pointers...

Gear 1 general location:
The gear is in the North-East, still on the corpse of its protector.

Gear 1 hint:
There might be something that guarded the corpse and scared you off the first time you went. That card is now in the Past and you can go back and check again for a rather different effect.

Gear 2 general location:
The gear is in the South-West; it was stolen by a thief and buried in a hole.

Gear 2 hint:
Look very carefully at the terrain card you are on. If you're not sure what to look for, check page 19 of the rulebook again. Perhaps there's a mechanic of the game that you have forgotten exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls