Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I playing this right?

Spoiler (click to reveal)

My setup:
50 - A0382: journal entry for Fragonia which gives "encrypt: -2 cards and/or two stars"

837 - J1414: Bonatist in traing - Each time I apply the effect of a card with the word bontany, I can choose one card with the keyword will from the discard pile.

C1062: Action Deck - Examine the notes, locked action with one card and two stars need

A0058: Action Deck - Remember with the keyword will.

I want to use the following combi while standing on a terrain card with Fragonia:
1. use "examine the notes" for free by applying the Fragonia effect.
2. use remeber to get "examine the notes" back.
3. use "examine the notes" with Fragonia again and use the "bontanist in traing" effect to get my "rember" card back.
Then cicle back 2nd and repeat.

Am I missing something, or can I use 2. and 3. to grep every single "50" card for free without doing anything else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Works. Cool tech. (Not the only way to get infinite Notes or anything but very cool.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While technically correct, is this loophole in the spirit of the game? I'm not dismissing this chain, in fact, I'd like to use it myself to simply get all of those cards, but does this not feel more like a loophole that is perhaps not in the spirit of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's 100% up to you to decide.

Flavor-wise, as far as things to do infinitely, "Sitting in the shade of a berry bush for a day, munching berries and reading your whole notebook" is one of the least offensive.

Power-wise, taking all the notes is strong but not game destroying. There are other, plausibly better things to do with infinite remembers -- you can get back things like Restful Sleep to heal your deck, or get back Learn By Doings to craft items for free and craft all your item stacks to perfect configurations and 6 durability, even get infinite XP with knowledge is power. All of this is probably possible with variations on this engine, but what botany card you use in the loop will vary. (There is a craft one and a think one, though, so you're good on both of those examples.)

Fun-wise, it's sort of lame to have no Notes left to get, but it's fun to have them all, and it's valuable to know what's in the Notes so you know what to look for next game.

Spirit-of-the-game-wise, I believe they planned for and know about at least some infinites. Infinite rest at the jungle camp (cooperate to a 1/1 and then use the stars and discount from the camp to make it free) seems extremely intentional to me. I don't think they planned on you getting infinite notes, and they usually discourage you from infinite loops, but they don't deny that they exist, or that they're allowed, or that they function under the rules.

A part of the fun of the 7th continent is finding strategies. It is, overall, a good thing that there are good ones to find, even if they are sometimes "too good." So I think in that sense, this is in the spirit of the game. Discovering it, at least, is a 100% legitimate 7C moment. Personally I'd say use it at least once (and have done so.)

The best way to play, really, is just do whatever you think will be coolest or most fun. If you set this up and feel like taking all the notes, take all the notes. If you set this up and feel like it'd be lame to take all the notes, don't. Maybe only take a few of them, however many feels fair to you. It's a co-op game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls