36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Why is bloody state healed by an anchor? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Volbound1700 No
msg tools
Sounds odd to have bloody state healed by anchor instead of the healing action. It also makes it very difficult to get rid of requiring either a raft or swimming action in the base (non-advanced skill) cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer R
msg tools
Because when you swim or navigate via raft, you get wet enough to wash the blood off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
For me, it represents not you being wounded (which is covered by the wounded state), but having your clothes bloody. Hence you need to wash them before the stench of blood will come out.
Indeed their could maybe be some more of swimming actions at places where they would make sense. But the fact that they are pretty difficult to get rid of is thematic for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Richter
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Water is generally what you would use to clean off blood when you are on an island like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because if you get covered in animal blood you do not 'heal' it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jujulautre wrote:
For me, it represents not you being wounded (which is covered by the wounded state), but having your clothes bloody. Hence you need to wash them before the stench of blood will come out.
Indeed their could maybe be some more of swimming actions at places where they would make sense. But the fact that they are pretty difficult to get rid of is thematic for me.

This.
The french adjective they used "Ensanglanté" literally "covered with blood" leaves no doubt on what the condition is.
If it was you bleeding, they'd called the card "Hémorragie"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
volbound1700 wrote:
Sounds odd to have bloody state healed by anchor instead of the healing action. It also makes it very difficult to get rid of requiring either a raft or swimming action in the base (non-advanced skill) cards.

It doesn't need to come from the skill cards - their are anchor actions on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
Its Majesty compels the survivors to bow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Everybody knows that cold water is effective vs blood stains
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stipetic
Greece
Kalyvia/Lagonissi
Attika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because this rule was written by sharks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually find the Bloody state, and everything connected to it, one of the most beautifully thematic parts of the game. The way that they implement the fact that being covered in blood makes carnivores more likely to come after you, when you go hunting or fishing, is verging on genius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
I actually find the Bloody state, and everything connected to it, one of the most beautifully thematic parts of the game. The way that they implement the fact that being covered in blood makes carnivores more likely to come after you, when you go hunting or fishing, is verging on genius.

I think you mean "predator", but the point is well taken and is something I had considered as I played as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
robinz wrote:

I think you mean "predator", but the point is well taken and is something I had considered as I played as well.

Well they basically mean the same thing, at least in this context. You're right that Predator is the game's term, I guess I thought referring to carnivores made the thematic connection that bit clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
randyd42 wrote:
robinz wrote:

Well they basically mean the same thing, at least in this context. You're right that Predator is the game's term, I guess I thought referring to carnivores made the thematic connection that bit clearer.

I knew what you meant, but I just wanted to clarify in case someone might be confused looking for that term. There is a distinction because...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
a bear is labeled as a "predator" but is not a carnivore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
Its Majesty compels the survivors to bow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never saw a horned one in real life, so I can't speak for those, but bears are definitely omnivores.

All bears eat carrions of they stumble into them, grizzlies eat small mammals and salmons, polar bears mostly eat seals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volbound1700 No
msg tools
You do pass by a lot of water sources that do not have anchor action. So it is kind of odd. Perhaps I can house rule it to allow you to perform an anchor action in any terrain with water if you pay a skill card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
Never saw a horned one in real life, so I can't speak for those, but bears are definitely omnivores.

Exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
volbound1700 wrote:
You do pass by a lot of water sources that do not have anchor action. So it is kind of odd. Perhaps I can house rule it to allow you to perform an anchor action in any terrain with water if you pay a skill card.

Exactly! This has confounded me as well.

We're on an island, after all, with no shortage of access to water, and yet we have to swim or raft across the ocean in order to wash off some blood?

The easiest way I have found to clear the bloody state is
in the jungle temple
but that requires
collapsing the map
and I'm not always ready to do that, especially now that I'm playing Offering to the Guardians and
speed travel comes in really handy on that curse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Richter
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they may have intended for it to be a state that is hard to get rid of but whatever makes the game fun for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to get the blood out of your blood-soaked clothes, you need to do more than wash them. You need to be repeatedly doused with water, soaked to the skin for long periods.

Animals can scent blood in very minute quantities and prey animals will avoid the smell of even such small quantities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a game design thing. Of course it shouldn't be a problem to take a bath on an island. A much smaller problem than finding fresh water for example (something which the game completely ignores).

However, the game doesn't really try to be a realistic depiction of survival on a lost island. It plays more like a fever dream, so things do not necessarily need to make complete thematic sense, as long as the atmosphere is there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirjam Molenkamp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
volbound1700 wrote:

We did that too. Only for easily accesible water ofcourse, not if you're high up on a cliff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirjam42 wrote:
volbound1700 wrote:

We did that too. Only for easily accesible water ofcourse, not if you're high up on a cliff

So you simply changed one of the most debilitating and hard to get rid off states into a "pay a skill card and it magically disappears" state?

It's interesting how many "thematic" house rules exist which have an accidental side-effect of making the game vastly easier..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Mirjam42 wrote:
volbound1700 wrote:

It's interesting how many "thematic" house rules exist which have an accidental side-effect of making the game vastly easier..

I kinda assume all those who think you can wash out blood with a bit of water don't do the laundry in their home. Even with modern detergent, washing machine, hot water, and sodium bicarb blood doesn't always come out.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Mirjam42 wrote:
volbound1700 wrote:

Oh lordy the "extra item stack for food" one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
Mirjam42 wrote:
volbound1700 wrote:

I kinda assume all those who think you can wash out blood with a bit of water don't do the laundry in their home. Even with modern detergent, washing machine, hot water, and sodium bicarb blood doesn't always come out.

Cheers,
Graham

Very true - yet there is at least one easy "swim" action that's just a paddle across a shallow channel, which also allows you to get rid of your Bloody state.

Tbh I'd never thought of the blood-stained clothes angle, I assumed it meant you had blood covering your hands/face/whatever. Which does lead to the objection above of "why can't I just get rid of it when I'm at this beach".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |