Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Why is bloody state healed by an anchor? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
Mirjam42 wrote:
volbound1700 wrote:
You do pass by a lot of water sources that do not have anchor action. So it is kind of odd. Perhaps I can house rule it to allow you to perform an anchor action in any terrain with water if you pay a skill card.
We did that too. Only for easily accesible water ofcourse, not if you're high up on a cliff

It's interesting how many "thematic" house rules exist which have an accidental side-effect of making the game vastly easier..

Oh lordy the "extra item stack for food" one...

Yeah I don't know why these "thematic fixes" bug me so much, they just do. I guess it's because I rarely see people who introduce them actually reflect on how it impacts the gameplay (or try to understand that something was designed the way it was for a reason), and I would personally find it very frustrating to play with someone who introduces house rules so haphazardly.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
It's interesting how many "thematic" house rules exist which have an accidental side-effect of making the game vastly easier..
It's interesting how many "thematic" house rules exist which have an intentional side-effect of making the game more fun for those who play them.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
It's interesting how many "thematic" house rules exist which have an accidental side-effect of making the game vastly easier..
It's interesting how many "thematic" house rules exist which have an intentional side-effect of making the game more fun for those who play them.

That's a blanket excuse which may or may not be true, because people who use "thematic fixes" commonly do not give the actual rule a chance.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
randyd42 wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
It's interesting how many "thematic" house rules exist which have an accidental side-effect of making the game vastly easier..
It's interesting how many "thematic" house rules exist which have an intentional side-effect of making the game more fun for those who play them.

That's a blanket excuse which may or may not be true, because people who use "thematic fixes" commonly do not give the actual rule a chance.

While I don't necessarily agree with your blanket assumption (although I did appreciate the irony of it), even if I did, I am not sure I see how that pertains to you or me. I mean, if someone chooses to apply a houserule that makes their game fun for them or their group, then unless they actually invite me to play the game with them, what does it matter to me? Personally, I don't care what houserules folks apply to make playing their game fun for them. If they want to simply turn over and read all their cards, then more power to them if that's what they enjoy. They bought their game and so why shouldn't they enjoy it however they want?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
randyd42 wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
It's interesting how many "thematic" house rules exist which have an accidental side-effect of making the game vastly easier..
It's interesting how many "thematic" house rules exist which have an intentional side-effect of making the game more fun for those who play them.

That's a blanket excuse which may or may not be true, because people who use "thematic fixes" commonly do not give the actual rule a chance.

While I don't necessarily agree with your blanket assumption (although I did appreciate the irony of it), even if I did, I am not sure I see how that pertains to you or me. I mean, if someone chooses to apply a houserule that makes their game fun for them or their group, then unless they actually invite me to play the game with them, what does it matter to me? Personally, I don't care what houserules folks apply to make playing their game fun for them. If they want to simply turn over and read all their cards, then more power to them if that's what they enjoy. They bought their game and so why shouldn't they enjoy it however they want?

I completely agree. I don't care how a specific group decided to play and how much they may or may not ruin the game for themselves.

I am however against sharing these house rules publically (except in their intended place, the Variants forum). The designers have extensively playtested the game and have offered a finely-tuned experience, so I see it as hurtful to the game when people start sharing their 'fixes' with the strong implications that they improve the game. In this case, the 'Bloody' state has been intentionally designed to be debilitating and tough to remove; trivializing it to the point that you can practically remove it whenever for little to no cost effectively removes it from the game, nerfing the challenge and making the gameplay experience poorer. Someone who has yet to play the game can read this 'fix', say 'hey, that makes sense' and then proceed to make the gameplay experience poorer for them and their group. Therefore I think it's perfectly fine that whenever sometimes introduces such fixes a counter-opinion is added, so the unsuspecting reader can later make an informed decision. In this case the 'Bloody' fix is bloody awful, and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone, even to people who have decided it makes the game 'more fun'.

9 
 Thumb up
0.32
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:

Stuff

You're a paradox, I completely agree with what you say here, and my reply would be the same as to when you say no one finishes the VG curse first time without accidental cheating:

Get better at the game whistle
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Borries
Germany
Schnelldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
Tbh I'd never thought of the blood-stained clothes angle, I assumed it meant you had blood covering your hands/face/whatever. Which does lead to the objection above of "why can't I just get rid of it when I'm at this beach".

Well, sometimes reading the card helps

"Your clothes are covered in blood..." is what you find on the backside of the "bloody" card.

On the topic of house rules making the game easier:

I'm aware that the house ruling we did for the game makes the game a lot easier, but it was something we decided together in the group as we all preferred the exploration part above the micro management for survival.

Some days ago i played just for myself the Crystal Song and didn't use our house rules. Actually the problems i had hadn't been mitigated the least had i used them. It was fun to play without house rules for this short time, but when you have a longer game and you don't have that much time, it is more fun to actually play the part of the game you like the most.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Linden
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some people can be tempted to introduce house rules because the game experience isn't what they expected. I was quite annoyed the first time I attempted Voracious Godess because I expected a game that focused on narrative and a simple game flow. But in truth it plays very slowly and is quite difficult. The game didn't seem very streamlined to me and I actually started wondering how much playtesting the game mechanics and the distribution of items, states etc had gotten. With this mindset many of the obstacles just seemed annoying because in the end they only lowered your life force which forced you to spend time hunting to replenish your action deck. It's always good to have a timer in a game, but when you can spend time to extend that timer you can end up with a very long game. Personally I would probably have preferred a faster and more streamlined game experience and I have been thinking of house rules that could simplify things, but like in the example above such house rules will undoubtedly upset the system that the designers have developed, since everything is connected.

However, I have now started off again, playing three curses at once and this time I'm approaching the whole experience with the right expectations. And I can see that the time consuming things that annoyed me before can actually become immersive instead if you let them, which increases the narrative experience as well. Only problem is that it's gonna take me a long time to finish it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volbound1700 No
msg tools
I had initially thought it meant cut/bloody for the person as well. Hence my original question but it makes more sense if the clothes are bloody.

I think the game is difficult but it gets a lot of easier after you play through a second or third time. Each time, I play, it gets easier.

I am playing two curses at one, Offering and Book. I hate
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Offering because it is difficult to get Advance Skill because you are having to save the EXP for the quest. I am on the card now that requires 20 exp! Hopefully it is the last one.


I have noticed that certain characters are unplayable and others are great. Also, playing solo is very tough. You can play solo with 2-3 characters and it is more fun (2 seems the right fit).

I am using H.P. Lovecraft (who is amazing) and Ferdinand (his ability to discard stealth to avoid problems plus the +1 food skill). IMO, they are two of the better characters. HP Lovecraft is necessary for the Offering quest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
volbound1700 wrote:
I hate
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Offering because it is difficult to get Advance Skill because you are having to save the EXP for the quest. I am on the card now that requires 20 exp! Hopefully it is the last one.


This is why you should bring Keelan when you're doing the Offering.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Scholar + 3 Knowledge is Power is instant 6XP. If you also have Remember or have acquired Advanced Knowledge is Power, comboing for XP can get ridiculous.

You can also do it without Keelan, but that's a bit riskier or at least harder to set up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just repair the camp
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |