Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: "The strangest encounter!" card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kamil Pomietło
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I have to discard some cards because of revealed state card and there is "The strangest encounter!" card among them.
Does it mean that I should put a figure on the map and take a card if it's available?
Should I also do it when the action deck is empty and I reveal cards from discard pile?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirjam Molenkamp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
No, the cards discarded due to states have no effect on gameplay. I don't even look at them to avoid confusion.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand how it can be interpreted that way, but the otherwise responds to the if and not to the when
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The text on the "strangest encounter" cards only applies when revealed during the Cost step. (It says so on the card.) The discard that results from getting a new State card is not part of the Cost step, so nothing special happens. No Flying Root is placed.

(Oops, I meant Result step. Doesn't change the conclusion though.)

But it doesn't matter whether the Action deck is empty or not, or that you may be drawing from the Discard pile. If you reveal one or more of these cards during the Cost step, you apply the consequences (auto-fail if there's already a Root there, otherwise place one).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian R
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortest wrote:
Hi. I have to discard some cards because of revealed state card and there is "The strangest encounter!" card among them.
Does it mean that I should put a figure on the map and take a card if it's available?
Should I also do it when the action deck is empty and I reveal cards from discard pile?
If you read the card text carefully, you'll see that it says "When you reveal this during the result step of an action...", so in your case it does not put a figure into play.

The second question is also answered by the same text: It does not matter where you drew it from, as long as it happened during the result step of an action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian R
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirjam42 wrote:
No, the cards discarded due to states have no effect on gameplay. I don't even look at them to avoid confusion.
Unless they come from the Discard pile, in which case you should look at them to see if you got a Curse card, because then the game ends immediately.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirjam Molenkamp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Lachpost wrote:
Mirjam42 wrote:
No, the cards discarded due to states have no effect on gameplay. I don't even look at them to avoid confusion.
Unless they come from the Discard pile, in which case you should look at them to see if you got a Curse card, because then the game ends immediately.
Ofcourse. I try to avoid that situation
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Pomietło
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So just to be clear: I "use" this card only during result step of the action and there is no other way to trigger it, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls