Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about the delay this week...I think we may have our rotation a little mixed up, so I'm jumping in with this week's topic.

Let's face it, we are all pretty involved in this hobby. That means we have relatively large collections, play games multiple times a week, travel for gaming, introduce new people to the hobby, teach new games to our groups, etc., etc., etc. This also means, you must have some board game hacks, and I want to hear about them. Maybe it's a way you transport your games, or hold your bits n' chits while playing, or how you put your games away...it could even be how you get new people into gaming. If you have a hack, please share it with us!

That said, what the Pegheads really want to know is...what are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Paul
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing earth-shattering in terms of storage/transport ideas - just the usual things like Plano boxes, baggies (with labels), etc. I have purchased one Broken Token organizer for Dead of Winter The Long Night.

As for playing this week - gaming meetup this Saturday, will play whatever comes up.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I finally got to play Scythe. Well, Steam has Digital Scythe on sale right now ($7.99 US - through July 5), so I picked that up and have further cemented that I really love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaming hacks, huh? Wel, I store my games vertically, so small box games have a tendency for the lid to want to fall off and this spill all the contents all over my games cupboard. So instead of elastic bands to hold the box shut (as the rubber in the bands can deteriorate and damage the box), I use lengths of clothes elastic to hold the box lids on. You can get long lengths of that kind of elastic from craft shops often (and you can pick up nice storage boxes for games at the same time! Win win!)

As for gaming this week... I'll be going to Paul Grogan's TING con (TING being an acronym for "This is not GridCon", GridCon being Paul's other convention he's organising). I'll be there on Saturday only, and will be running the blind playtest of Rome and Roll (which will basically mean I watch the players learn the game from the rules and play it, and only speak up if they get things wrong). I've never run that kind of playtest before, so should be an interesting experience!

I hope to get some other games played later in the day too. Have half an eye out for Underwater Cities and On The Underground...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Habel
United States
Butler
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Small sized Home Depot moving boxes are perfect for holding and transporting most board games. My collection, less a few giant boxes, campaign games, and 2p games, fits in 33 of them.

Not playing anything besides FF14 this week (Join ussss). But last week I got to play a lot of big, longer games at our board game getaway. PLayed a full game of Pipeline and I do not understand how anyone could get the more difficult orders or contracts. Played Rising Sun, which is not nearly as complicated as it looks. And played Dungeon Petz, which I've been trying to get played for like 2 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose my biggest board gaming “hack” has been joining the Envoy Herald program back in 2015. If you ever take a look at my BGG profile, you’ll see over 40 games listed that I am certified to demo through Envoy. Quite a few of those games I got copies of for free, simply for demoing or playing them and spreading the love of the hobby in my area and at conventions.

I also highly recommend getting a set of small bowls to use for gaming components. I got mine for $5 each at Target, a set of wooden dipping bowls made of acacia wood. I use them for coins, resource tokens, dice... whatever bits people are constantly reaching for in a game. I carry them with me whenever I’m out gaming; I usually bring them along to conventions too.

This week, Monday night we got Herbaceous, Alhambra and Starship Samurai played, and last night I got to teach my wife & son Concordia thanks to the generosity of my BPPP Summer Secret Santa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Habel
United States
Butler
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
I suppose my biggest board gaming “hack” has been joining the Envoy Herald program back in 2015. If you ever take a look at my BGG profile, you’ll see over 40 games listed that I am certified to demo through Envoy. Quite a few of those games I got copies of for free, simply for demoing or playing them and spreading the love of the hobby in my area and at conventions.

I also highly recommend getting a set of small bowls to use for gaming components. I got mine for $5 each at Target, a set of wooden dipping bowls made of acacia wood. I use them for coins, resource tokens, dice... whatever bits people are constantly reaching for in a game. I carry them with me whenever I’m out gaming; I usually bring them along to conventions too.

This week, Monday night we got Herbaceous, Alhambra and Starship Samurai played, and last night I got to teach my wife & son Concordia thanks to the generosity of my BPPP Summer Secret Santa!

We've got a set of silicon cupcake liners that we use for bits. Cheap, travel well, and easily washed. Also can make cupcakes in a pinch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the gaming "hack" consists of little plastic dishes from the wedding section at the Dollar Store and storage containers from the same section (a Wedding section at the Dollar Store is kind of surprising).

As for this week, I completed the last review of pages 1-79 (of 160) for The War: Pacific 1941-1945 and all of the rules, cards, and boards for RedImp's latest offering Pangea.

As far as games, Ping and I played for the first time Puerto Rico and she win handily 61 to 42.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
As far as games, Ping and I played for the first time Puerto Rico and she win handily 61 to 42.

Was it the first time playing Puerto Rico for both of you? What did you both think of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nye
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow never thought about it much but I only have two real hacks in board gaming is.....

1)every game is separated and bagged. I know there are tons of plans for inserts and foam cut outs, but hobby lobby has multiple sizes of bags in bulk that makes life easy. Especially when on a lower player count you can just grab out a couple colors you need to play and everthing else stays in box.

2) are the six little dishes we got at goodwill for a dollar, gives all those bits a nice place to go during a game.

As for games just got in a play of Roll for the Galaxy (1st ever) last night with a not real sure how I feel yet on this game when we got done. Needs a couple more rolls for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Was it the first time playing Puerto Rico for both of you? What did you both think of it?

Yes, I taught both of us based on a rather good video and used the Craftsman's Angst variant and while I'm sure we got a few rules wrong, we both loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Sauer
United States
Guilford
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a pack of 15 mini Bits Bins (2.125" X 1.625" X 0.825") a little while ago and quickly filled them all with meeples and such from a variety of games. Tehy stack nicely in various boxes, and sit well on the table for in-game dispensing, too.

Last night I was able to teach a friend Azul, Waters of Nereus and Naval War. We also got in a game of Dominion/Intrigue, which neither of us had played for two years. It was nice to get that back to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
nye1006 wrote:
1)every game is separated and bagged.

2) are the six little dishes we got at goodwill for a dollar,

These are my two hacks as well -- I use plastic cube-shaped containers (10 for $1) from the dollar store for any bits that have to be put out and drawn from. My copy of Shipyards is chock full of them.

I find particular joy in re-bagging game bits in "correct" size bags, then stowing away all the other bags to use in other games. I really like when player components can be pre-bagged for faster setup. I keep the Wingspan bits for each player in bags with the starting resources, so I can just toss someone their components and we're off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Rouse
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at the shore this week with my family. Wildwood New Jersey! I brought the quiver that has (Just One, Don't Mess with Chtulu, Fake Artist, The Mind, Happy Salmon, Monikers, and Cockroach Poker), we will see if that comes out of the trunk lol. I also brought Azul, TrapWords, Skull, Subtext and Undo. I'll try and post as games get played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So last week summary: Nothing during the week (just too tired after all the training courses), but Saturday I got to go to TING (This Is Not Gridcon), Paul Grogan's locally-hosted convention here in Devon, UK.

I went just on Saturday, mainly to run a blind-playtest of Rome & Roll. The playtest went very well, and I got a lot of good notes on the rulebook, and general game feedback from the players, so it was very useful.

After that, I was on 'free' time, so wondered around and joined whatever games were on offer. I decided to help playtest some other designers' games that were there, as I'd had people graciously playtesting Rome & Roll earlier, so played a few prototypes:

- Anti-Gravity Racing by Kevin Shaw, which is a race-track racing game where you're trying to complete one lap before anyone else, and have a hand of actions (well, "powers" might be more accurate) you can choose to play in a single-action programming style: Everyone picks an action secretly, then all simultaneously reveal, then carry them out in action-value order. It was chaotic but lots of fun, and the action programming worked very well. Look forward to seeing if Kevin can successfully pitch it to any publishers.

- Fairies from the 7th Kingdom (might not be the actual title; I forgot the exact name) by David Digsby. This is a recipe-fulfilment game where the good fairies from Sleeping Beauty are vying to create the best magic potions in the fairytale land by drafting ingredients and devices from a rondel-style central board. A fun, fairly quick, game of tactical maneuvering. David's also hoping to pitch it (and some of his other designs) to publishers soon.

- Solar Storm by Ayden Lowther. This is a coop game of collectively trying to repair your spaceship before the hull breaches and... well, you all die. It was a lot of fun and felt like Pandemic in a much smaller package (literally and figuratively), and in half the time. Really enjoyed it (even though we lost). Ayden's going to be self-publishing this via Kickstarter in September, so look out for it!
- Dice Hospital: Community Care - David Digsby happens to be on the playtesting team for this expansion, so he taught me the base game + the City expansion. The base game is a lot of fun, and the City expansion adds a really nice spacial element to the initial dice drafting phase. I really enjoyed it (though David beat Kevin and I by almost 3 times our scores). This expansion goes on Kickstarter tomorrow, coincidentally!

I then ventured around the rest of the conference hall, and joined in games of:
- Crisis, at 3 players. Lovely game. I came last (I'm out of practice) but enjoyed it a lot. I failed to plan ahead properly to get a good engine going to fully run late-game. Paul, from Gameslore (an OFLGS here in the UK), beat Ben and I, AND he got a personal best score of ~148! Well played, sir!

- Roll for the Galaxy: Rivalry, at 3 players. Rob taught this to Dan and I; Dan hadn't played the base-game or expansion before; I'd only played the base-game on BoardGameArena before, but I'm well versed in Race for the Galaxy, so picked up the rules quickly. We used the Upgrade Die part of the Rivalry expansion [I think there are more bits to the expansion, but Rob didn't want to overwhelm us], which was great fun to use. It was a very close game; Rob pulled out the win with 42 to 41 to 38. Rob happened to do an upgrade to his upgrade die on his penultimate turn, and rolled that very face on the final turn, which gave him effectively 4VP from that single roll, which was game-winning. Exciting to see!

So, not a bad list for being at the con from 9am to 10pm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
We went to the Mackinac Island area for the week last week and I got a lot of gaming in, mostly older easy to teach things and some classic games. Here's my play list:

One Night Ultimate Werewolf x7
Codenames: Harry Potter x3
Dead Man's Draw x3
Patience x3
Love Letter x2
Chronicles of Crime
Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle
La Isla
Lost Cities: The Board Game
Quiddler
Sagrada
Sushi Go!
Unlock! Scheherazade's Last Tale

We are still just getting ROLLED by the second game of the expansion to Harry Potter. Ugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only real hack I have is also from the Dollar store and it is plastic ramekins. I love these!

Thursday: Royals, Dice Forge, Architects of the West Kingdom (2x). Royals I was luke warm on, I really like Dice Forge (I requested we play it), and I really enjoyed Architects. I was kind of expecting it to be meaner from the original Pegs conversation about it, but I didn't think it was at all. I am a big worker placement fan, and this one got me in the hurt locker.

Firday: D&D...until 3 AM. I always joke that we get together for eight hours and play twenty-five minutes of D&D.

Saturday: Necromunda: Underhive. Started a campaign. I ended up playing a guy who I felt built and played his gang a little aggressive for our casual group. There is also a terrain placing rule that he took advantage of, perfectly within the rules, but one of those deals where you kind of go..."really?". I felt he was playing the terrain rule outside the spirit of the game. At least I get to play the fun casual guys now that I got him out of the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Paul
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday meetup, played:

Istanbul: The Dice Game
Belfort
Q.E. x2
Endeavor: Age of Sail
Secret Hitler

Usually, I am not a fan of auction games, but QE was a lot of fun - it can get pretty insane, depending on the group. Give it a shot if you get a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls