The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hand size limit vs adding to hand? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Christensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hey all,

Let's assume I'm playing solo and have the maximum allowed number of blue cards already in hand.

Then I'm instructed by an adventure card to "choose 1 card with the keyword X in the Discard Pile and add it to their hand".

Would I now have to discard back down to 5 cards immediately to adhere to the hand limit?

I figure that's probably the case, but then again, since I'm not testing anything, there's no action resolution to make me discard.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you have to keep with the hand limit at all times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p.12, step 7

Quote:

7. HAND SIZE LIMIT
Any involved player who has more Skill and/or Bonus cards in hand than the authorized limit must discard any excess cards of their choice

So if you're performing an action, you don't have the discard down until step 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever in doubt about anything like this, check the player aid (or the relevant pages of the rules, but the player aid is more convenient to access) with its detailed breakdown of the steps of action resolution. And bear in mind that (more or less) *everything* in this game is an action resolution - you choose an action (or are forced to do one), perform these 7 steps, then repeat until you win or you die.

In this case, the "choose 1 card in the discard pile..." is part of the Consequences Step (step 6), while the "Hand Size Limit" step is step 7. So you do as told in Step 6 and temporarily have a card too many in hand, then in step 7 discard down. Note you can freely choose to discard any card in your hand at that point, either the one you took or some card that was already there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lap Ho Cheung
United States
Aiea
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You only need to discard at the end of the action. The rule is at the end of page 12, under "7. Hand Size Limit".

Edit: ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
Whenever in doubt about anything like this, check the player aid (or the relevant pages of the rules, but the player aid is more convenient to access) with its detailed breakdown of the steps of action resolution. And bear in mind that (more or less) *everything* in this game is an action resolution - you choose an action (or are forced to do one), perform these 7 steps, then repeat until you win or you die.

In this case, the "choose 1 card in the discard pile..." is part of the Consequences Step (step 6), while the "Hand Size Limit" step is step 7. So you do as told in Step 6 and temporarily have a card too many in hand, then in step 7 discard down. Note you can freely choose to discard any card in your hand at that point, either the one you took or some card that was already there.

There is one case outside of an action that you could add a card to your hand - that is by using a character ability (anjika patel's for one)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Christensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
In my case here, I'm adding a card to my hand as part of a revealed adventure card. (Card 071 for reference)

So, it's not part of an action. Which is what made me question if I adhere to hand limit at this point or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DK_John wrote:
In my case here, I'm adding a card to my hand as part of a revealed adventure card. (Card 071 for reference)

So, it's not part of an action. Which is what made me question if I adhere to hand limit at this point or not.

Actually, at that point you are still in the Consequence step of the action that put the 071 card into play. So you discard down in the hand size step of the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Yes, you have to keep with the hand limit at all times.
this is only true for items, for the blue and green cards you discard only in the discard step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Christensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
abredon wrote:
DK_John wrote:

Actually, at that point you are still in the Consequence step of the action that put the 071 card into play. So you discard down in the hand size step of the action.

That’s the part that I missed. It makes sense to me now. Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:
robinz wrote:

There is one case outside of an action that you could add a card to your hand - that is by using a character ability (anjika patel's for one)

Oh, that’s interesting. Does that mean the ability can be used in the middle of another action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say "no", but it has to be said that I'm not aware of anything in the rules which answers this either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anjika Patel appears to be the only character with an ability that doesn't say when to use it as part of the ability text. Seems like an oversight.

I think the two most obvious options for how to treat it are:

1. Treat using the ability as if it were an action (with 0 cost and requiring 0 stars). In this case, you can't use it during another action, and you need to discard down to your hand limit afterward.

2. Allow using the ability at absolutely any time, doing only exactly what the text says. In this case, it lets you temporarily exceed your hand limit, but only until the end of your next (or current) action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
Anjika Patel appears to be the only character with an ability that doesn't say when to use it as part of the ability text. Seems like an oversight.

Victor Frankenstein's ability has the same lack of timing restriction - discard a card with keyword 'will' to add one of his character specific skills from the discard to his hand.

I would tend to treat these as a 0/0 action. Retrieving the 'Obey' card that gives you stars from the discard to use it during a mandatory action seems too powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls