Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: can permanent event sit ever sit on top of terrain (or exploration) tile? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Gjertsen
United States
Acworth
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook makes clear that Exploration cards are only put in free adjacent spaces that an orange starburst/arrow points towards.

I've noticed a couple of instances where I've found the only way to do that is to save the game because a permanent event card is blocking the exploration card.

What am I supposed to do if the exploration card (or terrain card) is already in place and the permanent event arrow is positioned requiring the event to sit on top of the exploration/terrain card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gjertsen wrote:
The rulebook makes clear that Exploration cards are only put in free adjacent spaces that an orange starburst/arrow points towards.

I've noticed a couple of instances where I've found the only way to do that is to save the game because a permanent event card is blocking the exploration card.

What am I supposed to do if the exploration card (or terrain card) is already in place and the permanent event arrow is positioned requiring the event to sit on top of the exploration/terrain card?
I've played for many hours and never had this situation
the game is designed that you should always be able to have a space to place it
it seems you are doing something wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Double check how you've arranged the cards because that shouldn't happen. At least, I've never encountered it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This never happens. You'll need to give an example if you seek to persuade us otherwise.

Note that where you place the permanent event is dictated only by the direction of the arrow - it doesn't always go on the side nearest the action that revealed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Exploration cards only go where the arrows with the roman numerals point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd really want to see the circumstances which lead to this situation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gjertsen
United States
Acworth
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely possible to have an exploration spot blocked by a permanent event. This happens after the basket/pulley mechanism going into a mountain. But that's where the rules are clear that you can't put the exploration card into play unless you save game and come back.

Maybe the second part of my question actually doesn't ever happen. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, I understand now - of course that can happen. (I've deleted my previous post asking for a detailed description.) It's the same as when an exploration arrow points to a space where there is already a terrain card in play. That card can easily be a Permanent Event instead.

Your second case though should be impossible, and I'm glad you now say you've never seen it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All exploration permanent events have some way of removing them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:

Very true of course, but I don't think that's what the OP meant. I think they're just referring to when you have a Permanent Event card that forms a "bridge", and when you cross it and put the card at the "other side" into play, it comes with an exploration arrow pointing at where the Permanent Event is. And therefore that Exploration card isn't placed.

This of course is just so that, if you come across the event from the other side, you still get to see it. And it's no different from the space being blocked by an already-revealed Terrain card, as happens routinely all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So... you would need to go near the bridge tile, but not directly (just to have the exploration tile near it), then do a double take, go all the way around to the other side of the bridge tile, and then you get to see this situation in practice.

I find this extremely unlikely to happen in a normal game, but even if it did, I'd follow instructions on the bridge tile and simply override the exploration tile with the proper terrain tile. This would be the same as putting that part of the board in the past due to spatial concerns, which is allowed by the rules (well, technically the rules allow for save-scumming too where you get to pick any exploration tile you want after reload, but that's an entirely different issue )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
well, technically the rules allow for save-scumming too where you get to pick any exploration tile you want after reload, but that's an entirely different issue
could you explain that further?

Actually your whole post, as I did not understand what you wanted to tell us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
Jack Spirio wrote:

Very true of course, but I don't think that's what the OP meant. I think they're just referring to when you have a Permanent Event card that forms a "bridge", and when you cross it and put the card at the "other side" into play, it comes with an exploration arrow pointing at where the Permanent Event is. And therefore that Exploration card isn't placed.

This of course is just so that, if you come across the event from the other side, you still get to see it. And it's no different from the space being blocked by an already-revealed Terrain card, as happens routinely all the time.
but why would you want to put an exploration card there?
As you stated that happens with normal terrain cards all the time and no one saves every move so that they always can place all exploration cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
Quote:
well, technically the rules allow for save-scumming too where you get to pick any exploration tile you want after reload, but that's an entirely different issue
could you explain that further?

Actually your whole post, as I did not understand what you wanted to tell us.

The first part:

Lets say you have this situation:

<> Expl You

Where <> is (yet undiscovered) "bridge" tile, Expl an "exploration tile" and You you on the terrain tile. You decide to not go there, head in another direction and ultimately come to the bridge card from the other side.

You <> Expl

The bridge card now instructs you that after a successful action you cross the bridge and put your figure on the terrain on the other side, which is currently occupied by an (revealed or unrevealed) exploration tile. I don't think rules cover what to do in this situation.

------

The second part:

After you "load" a game, it would be completely legal to ignore the first exploration card (if it's not a mandatory action) put it back in the exploration deck and reshuffle. If the exploration deck doesn't have any mandatory actions anymore, you could theoretically choose any exploration card you want, since after enough saving and loading you are bound to see all the choices. And even if there are mandatory actions, if they are not as hurtful as the permanent event action you revealed as your first exploratory card, reshuffling should always be a better strategic choice - especially if you are fishing for a specific exploration card (side-quest for example). However IMO this is somewhat against the spirit of the game, even though I might be tempted to use it, especially if I'm currently in a bad situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No-one ever said you would "want to". I certainly didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, yeah that could happen, but would be a lot of work to do so
I would say in that case the exploration card is removed and the terrain card is placed there

yes, that is true, but it is fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls