3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Boss fight mechanics? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Søren Bregenov
msg tools
Helloes!
I'm dabbling in a game of my own making which aims to contain boss fights.
I really like the way the fights work in Kingdom Death: Monster, however I don't want to copy those mechanics, but rather make something similar, with the dynamics seen in the AI and HL decks to create a different experience for each monster (of the same) which are different each time players fight it.
I want to make it simpler without making it boring.

Among the ideas I have are:
1: Random traits, instead of the same, fixed one. Maybe rolled before the fight.
2: Wounds counter instead of removing AI cards when damaging the boss.
3: Option to target specific locations on the boss, maybe even a HL dice for the boss, with different decks for each.
4: D8's instead of D10' for wound rolls to shorten the Toughness gap and thereby create a wider range of viable weapon options.
5: A simpler "survival" action set or at least rules.

Any c & c are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Garcia
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
mb
You could maybe do something similar to the enemy decks on Gloomhaven, where each turn a card is drawn, that will modify the actions a certain type of monsters will do. Sometimes the changes are small, sometimes they add new behaviours (like adding range attacks to a melee monster).

You could maybe draw a single card for each copy of the monster, only once at the start of the fight (or whenever you feel can make the fight more interesting), so each one is different.
It's similar to your 1st option of rolling a dice to get random traits, but with cards you have some space to add various interesting effects, and you can make sure none will be repeated, if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing wrong with copying the general KDM Boss Fight mechanics - they're very good, and others have already done so successfully. It's the best I've seen so far.

If you were to streamline the KDM engine, that would give you a great game core that would be easier for the novice player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls