Subject: Paranoid State Cured on Death of Partner? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Myrick
United States
Carmel Valley
California
flag msg tools
I'll write this to be specific in the situation - although I think it is a more general question, so I'll try to write this so that it could be answered without spoilers. Medium spoilers if you haven't played the "Veins of the Earth" curse.

I think this is something I figured out on my own, but am interested in other opinions. Basically, if one player is paranoid and the other player is eliminated, is the paranoid state removed? If so, is it instantaneous, or is it necessary for the survivor to take at least one action?

My daughter and I were playing two-player co-op. We were
Spoiler (click to reveal)
on the barge in the titular vein.
Since I was paranoid when
we got on the barge
, there was no opportunity for me to get rid of the condition.

After riding for awhile, we found
the hole that you can put your head inside.
Against my strong advice, my daughter
stuck her head in the hole
and was killed. Once the obligatory mocking was complete, she revived as a new character
, who apparently had been just hanging out on the barge with us without contributing much of anything

We tried to figure out whether the death by itself would eliminate the paranoid state. The text on the card states that you need to be at least two terrain tiles away to cure the state. She revived before I took any other actions. We decided that the paranoid condition would be lifted - it made more thematic sense, since my character was paranoid of her character who was now dead, not the new one that was not.
Truthfully, we struggled more with the concept that Amelia Earhart just happened to be down here on this barge and was ready to rock and roll! But the rules didn't make any exceptions that I saw.

Again, I think this was fine. The only hesitation I have is that I didn't take any actions between the "resurrection" and throwing away the card (the paranoid state card doesn't have an "action" to remove the state, it just sort of happens when certain conditions are met). Has this come up for anybody else, and, if so, how did you handle it? It's admittedly a minor issue, but given how minor character death is in this game (the bigger issue with her dying was that she had the food), there may be strategic applications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaella CG
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmb
Without looking at spoilers, in general, you would remove the state. It goes away when you're alone, which you were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You immediately remove the card, when the condition applies, at any possible moment. So if you ever are alone on a terrain you can remove it, no matter how short it is, or how many actions are in between
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Borries
Germany
Schnelldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As for the new character suddenly popping up out of the blue, we always see that as that character adventuring on their own, for some reason hanging around at that place and joining the group. In your case
it could be that Amelia somehow fell through some hole into the subterranean stream and just came by your barge as you were mourning the loss of your fellow adventurer, holding onto it until you managed to haul her in.

Of course on many places such an encounter is much easier to explain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Myrick
United States
Carmel Valley
California
flag msg tools
I'm sure that's the truth about what really happened to Amelia the government doesn't want us to know!

Thanks everybody for your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls