Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Pandemic: Rapid Response» Forums » General

Subject: Our sand timer keeps getting plugged. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anyone else having this issue? I'm going to reach out to Zman and see what they say.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any objection to just using a digital timer? It's much easier to listen for an alert than it is to have to stare at a sand timer for the last grain to fall.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Ciuppa
United States
Marietta
GA
flag msg tools
I'd like to know what they say.
My sand timer is broken.
The sand instantly falls.
To be honest, I was planning to use my cell phone.
It'd be cool if they did their own app.
It's not worth my time to go back to Target for this though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Any objection to just using a digital timer? It's much easier to listen for an alert than it is to have to stare at a sand timer for the last grain to fall.

True... but I wonder how built in the extra time it takes to notice the sand timer has run out comes into play.

We use a digital time, but set it for 2:15 because our sand timer whent a bit more than 2mins when we timed it, and also to give us that "oh look, the sand timers done".

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
Any objection to just using a digital timer? It's much easier to listen for an alert than it is to have to stare at a sand timer for the last grain to fall.

True... but I wonder how built in the extra time it takes to notice the sand timer has run out comes into play.

We use a digital time, but set it for 2:15 because our sand timer whent a bit more than 2mins when we timed it, and also to give us that "oh look, the sand timers done".


An inaccurate sand timer is one thing, but a publisher isn't going to balance their game based on how well a group pays attention to a sand timer. The rulebook explicitly says it's a two minute timer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
Any objection to just using a digital timer? It's much easier to listen for an alert than it is to have to stare at a sand timer for the last grain to fall.

True... but I wonder how built in the extra time it takes to notice the sand timer has run out comes into play.

We use a digital time, but set it for 2:15 because our sand timer whent a bit more than 2mins when we timed it, and also to give us that "oh look, the sand timers done".


An inaccurate sand timer is one thing, but a publisher isn't going to balance their game based on how well a group pays attention to a sand timer. The rulebook explicitly says it's a two minute timer.

I get that. I'm just assuming playtesting was done with a sand timer... and when you use a sand timer, you aren't always going to notice it's run out immediately. So you are probably naturally spending more than exactly 2 minutes each "tick".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Most testing was done with a digital timer, just because everyone has one on their phone. I did use a sand timer for a short period (although it was a sand timer app) when the rule was that you lost if the sand ran out, so you had to quick flip it when it was getting close.

I’m sure Z-Man would replace your sand timer if you contact them. But a digital timer is fine. I still use digital most of the time anyway. At 2:00.

- Kane
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fulmer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered a stainless steel looking digital kitchen timer from amazon. We had the same problem of not seeing the sand run out. Wanted to find something that looked high tech/fancy to look right on the board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls