Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Pandemic: Rapid Response» Forums » General

Subject: Our sand timer keeps getting plugged. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anyone else having this issue? I'm going to reach out to Zman and see what they say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any objection to just using a digital timer? It's much easier to listen for an alert than it is to have to stare at a sand timer for the last grain to fall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Ciuppa
United States
Marietta
GA
flag msg tools
I'd like to know what they say.
My sand timer is broken.
The sand instantly falls.
To be honest, I was planning to use my cell phone.
It'd be cool if they did their own app.
It's not worth my time to go back to Target for this though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Any objection to just using a digital timer? It's much easier to listen for an alert than it is to have to stare at a sand timer for the last grain to fall.

True... but I wonder how built in the extra time it takes to notice the sand timer has run out comes into play.

We use a digital time, but set it for 2:15 because our sand timer whent a bit more than 2mins when we timed it, and also to give us that "oh look, the sand timers done".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

True... but I wonder how built in the extra time it takes to notice the sand timer has run out comes into play.

We use a digital time, but set it for 2:15 because our sand timer whent a bit more than 2mins when we timed it, and also to give us that "oh look, the sand timers done".

An inaccurate sand timer is one thing, but a publisher isn't going to balance their game based on how well a group pays attention to a sand timer. The rulebook explicitly says it's a two minute timer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

An inaccurate sand timer is one thing, but a publisher isn't going to balance their game based on how well a group pays attention to a sand timer. The rulebook explicitly says it's a two minute timer.

I get that. I'm just assuming playtesting was done with a sand timer... and when you use a sand timer, you aren't always going to notice it's run out immediately. So you are probably naturally spending more than exactly 2 minutes each "tick".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most testing was done with a digital timer, just because everyone has one on their phone. I did use a sand timer for a short period (although it was a sand timer app) when the rule was that you lost if the sand ran out, so you had to quick flip it when it was getting close.

I’m sure Z-Man would replace your sand timer if you contact them. But a digital timer is fine. I still use digital most of the time anyway. At 2:00.

- Kane
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fulmer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered a stainless steel looking digital kitchen timer from amazon. We had the same problem of not seeing the sand run out. Wanted to find something that looked high tech/fancy to look right on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls