Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
Its time to welcome you tooooooo, your reroll. The next episode we will be reviewing Thunderstone Quest. Have you played it? Whats your thoughts? Remember if you add a comment below also include your rating with that comment!

Poll
1. Have you played Thunderstone Quest?
Yes
No, but want to.
No, but would if someone brought it out to try.
No and have no desire to.
2. What is your BPPP rating of Thunderstone Quest?
6- game collection essential
3- Average game.
0- the worst.
      124 answers
Poll created by rookenoble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the Thunderstone Quest Barricades pledge after the delivery of the recent Kickstarter and was ecstatic about the amount of content available. A few plays in and I don’t know if I will be able to talk my group into playing it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgueni K
Canada
flag msg tools
I enjoyed playing Thunderstone and Thunderstone Advanced, and I was pretty curious about Thunderstone Quest at first, but considering how heavy they went with the expansions with every version, only to completely move on to a new Thunderstone version and start all over, it got pretty expensive trying to keep up, so I moved on to other games. I've also had more than enough Thunderstone with their previous versions so I don't really see myself getting into it, but if anyone I know ever gets it, I'd probably want to give it a try just to see try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Huminski
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I first played the original Thunderstone at an Origins many years ago. Loved it so much, I purchased a copy. Followed the game to Thunderstone Quest, and loved it even more. I love the mechanics & theme, enjoy the art, and while i am not certain that this is a collection essential, I consider it one of the top deckbuilders out there. I am very much looking forward to getting the expansions from the latest KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arydis4 wrote:
I bought the Thunderstone Quest Barricades pledge after the delivery of the recent Kickstarter and was ecstatic about the amount of content available. A few plays in and I don’t know if I will be able to talk my group into playing it again.

Why is that? I honestly haven't heard many bad things about this version of the game.

I had Thunderstone Advance, and really dug the theme integration and card leveling, but it was just so looooong, lots of setup and teardown, slow turns, slow progression. Not enough fun for the time it took to play. Has made me leery about investing in a newer version without playing it first. It would have to be really great.

Side note, if anyone felt similar, Tyrants of the Underdark really surprised me as another deck builder with a fantasy theme, but one that focuses on area control in the center of the board. This game sets up really quickly (just mash two decks together), plays in under an hour, and is fun the whole time. Rather than progression through card levels and monsters, the progress is swarming the board, thinning your deck, and edging your opponent's out of locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fine game...it did provide one of the funniest game experiences in recent past. My friends Josette,and Peter brought it over and they love the game...Josette even more so, as she devised entire boards which you can still find out here on BGG which are simply gorgeous. The game, however, is peculiar insofar as at one point we sent, not people, but a hand of cards representing weapons and torches to the cavern to fight the monsters. Maybe it was the wine, maybe it was because I had been up for 19 hours, but that was just funny.

For me, if I want a deck-builder...I'll play Dominion. If I want an adventure, I'll play D&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a kickstarted copy of this in the past year. On paper, it looked to be everything I would want: High Fantasy Dungeon Diving, Deckbuilding, & Customizable Characters in a Campaign.

What I experienced was a lackluster game that felt incredibly middle of the road. Years ago this title might have been a blockbuster, but falls short today. In a time where Gloomhaven reigns as #1, Thunderstone Quest feels pasted on and souless. While I have always loved Dominion, games like GWT & Orleans have shown me what deck/bag building can look like when its just "part" of the game. Instead, Thunderstone Quest requires more effort and time to play a game where just Clank! will do.

3 pegs, and I feel that I might be generous for that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jacobson

Omaha
Nebraska - NE
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing several times (I was initially excited about getting it to play with my son who loves dragons, deck building and competitive games), I was disappointed and sold the game. It's not a bad game, but when space is at a premium, a game like that better be good. The best way to sum it up is just to say exactly what my 9 year old said after really trying to like it for 3 plays. "This game just goes on for longer than it should." And I've played only with adults who've thought the same. The closest thing to a dungeon in this for me is the grinding. We prefer deck building games that either move quickly or add some other mechanisms to justify the length. 3 pegs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Edge

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After hearing lots of praise for the first edition, I was amped to try the game. Here it was ... the wonder of Dominion with theme (and I was getting more into theme at the time, or - via Characteristics of Games - stronger contexts). I was very disappointed with the original edition. We did get theme ... with extra work and home-ruling of the game.

After that experience, I have been wary to play it again and my love for deckbuilders has waned (key exceptions being Dominion and SPQF). So I voted No and No Desire to. I'm happy that so many people love this game and find it exciting to venture into the dungeon. Me, I'll play Welcome to the Dungeon if I want the theme (or Dungeon Heroes) and one of my deckbuilders if I want the mechanics.

(I also don't like Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure ... so take this negative experience with grains of salt).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Cornelison
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A family favorite. We play a ton of deck builders and Thunderstone is a solid 4 pegs in our house. We have phased from original to Advance to Quest. I like Quest the best. It improves upgrading heroes and dungeon delving. On the flip side, I think some of the market choices are not as good as in Advance. I lean heavily toward med-heavy Euros, this is as close as I get to Ameritrashy monster busting. I dig it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will be pulling these soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LIES, pushing this reroll back an episode. next episode is LOOONG, this will have to wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls