12 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Taking a white action on an item. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John K
United States
flag msg tools
When you reduce the die by one pip to take a white action does it happen before the item step? In my case it’s a meat card.

I have a card that reduces the durability by one additional pip of items used in the item step. Am I going to put extra wear and tear on my multi-meat treat when I eat it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you are out of luck here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add more stamina first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately it seems like trying to eat while blinded is going to make you drop most of your food.

Yes that's pretty rough, but the rules are clear. Items work the same way no matter whether you're using white or brown boxes - or both at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël Langella
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It happens during the item step. But if durability is reduced to 0, you only discard the item and the end of the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
Unfortunately it seems like trying to eat while blinded is going to make you drop most of your food.

Yes that's pretty rough, but the rules are clear. Items work the same way no matter whether you're using white or brown boxes - or both at once.

Sounds like a good use for a meat-shovel, help you eat more efficiently!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
robinz wrote:

Sounds like a good use for a meat-shovel, help you eat more efficiently!

"Oh, you are blind? Sorry, I haven't realized. Here, let me glue this shovel to your steak to make it easier for you."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just picturing using it as a big spoon and opening my mouth REALLY wide...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John K
United States
flag msg tools
I just re-read the rules.

Quote:
Each player involved in the action may use one or more items from their inventory, by removing 1 pip from the value of the die resting on each used item (no matter how many Item cards the item consists of). If that value reaches zero, the die is removed. For each item used this way, the player will be able to apply – at most once during the action – some or all of the effects of one or more Item cards it consists of, provided a icon associated with the effect matches the current action.

Quote:
A player may use an item in their inventory – by lowering its durability by 1 – either to apply some or all of the the item’s effects when they are involved in an action to which the item’s effect applies, or to take an action featured on this item.

You have to lower the durability by 1 in order to take the action and you can only use an item in the item phase if it's brown icon matches the current action. So you can't be in the item phase when lowering the durability to take a white action.

This also implies that it would cost two durability if you wanted to use a white and brown icon from the same stack in one action. Like in a rope/woven cord combo item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one pip to take a white box action, or to use a banner, or to use brown boxes matching the white box action. Or any combination. Pay the pip, use everything you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
It's one pip to take a white box action, or to use a banner, or to use brown boxes matching the white box action. Or any combination. Pay the pip, use everything you can.

Clarification: everything you want to and can. There are times when it makes more sense to not use some of the boxes on an item, and the rules allow that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And as we know we can pay for a white and any number of matching brown icons in the same stack (and a banner) for one pip reduction, that's what led us to determine that the white die reduction is effectively in the item step too, thus suffering the penalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls