Subject: How exactly does food work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Malinsky
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
So food has the 1 pip die in the top left of the card. Does that food immediately go into play and take up one of my inventory spots? Can I carry as much food as I want but keep one inventory spot open if I want to eat? And what about the other non-food cards which also have a die in the top left as opposed to the skill cards which have top right? I know how to work those, but I’m not sure I am using food correctly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer R
msg tools
Food goes directly into your inventory and not your hand. And you can stack food with the same rules you stack other items in your inventory including matching keywords adding die pips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The die in the top-right of the Skill cards that you have crafted into icons is actually in the white consequence box of the craft action. It is essentially saying that when you craft that card, replace the blue hand icon in the top-left with that die value.

So in that way, all cards in your inventory will be seen as having the die in the top-left, you just have to imagine it has switched sides for those you crafted.

Food and any other item you find while traveling are treated the same way as an item card you have just crafted. One of the players involved with that action that caused the card to be gained must either start a new item stack with the card or add it to an existing stack that still has room for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Small point, but you aren't obliged to take all of it. If you get four cards and only have room for three, you can discard the fourth one instead of scrapping a whole item stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
Small point, but you aren't obliged to take all of it. If you get four cards and only have room for three, you can discard the fourth one instead of scrapping a whole item stack.

Which just discards it, you haven't 'eaten' anything nor can you get back the cards from the Discard pile. Many people for some reason think that you can eat the food 'immediately' without it ever being in your inventory, but the game simply doesn't work that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
nerman8r wrote:

Which just discards it, you haven't 'eaten' anything nor can you get back the cards from the Discard pile. Many people for some reason think that you can eat the food 'immediately' without it ever being in your inventory, but the game simply doesn't work that way.
sire you can get it back
The next time you return the past, the food is returned and you can draw it again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Artl
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He isn't saying that you can't get the food back ever, he was pointing out that if you choose not to take the food for whatever reason that you can't "eat" it immediately and get cards back from your discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When food is acquired it is treated like any other item. It can be added to any stack as long as you respect the stack limits and you add durability if it is stacked with a matching keyword on the top item.

Thus you can stack 4 food in an empty stack during the solo game and the durability is 4.

Alternatively, you can stack food in any of your other stacks which have space for it, but if the top item does not share the stamina keyword you do not add durability.

Adding food items to a stack is mandatory in order to use the action.

Once they food is added to your inventory you may then, one card at a time, take the white eat action in the food box. You will reduce the durability of the item stack is resides in by 1 and perform the action.

Thus in your stack of 4 food above, you take the white action on the first food box which allows you to return cards to your action deck. The durability is lowered to 3 and the single food card that you took the action on is returned to the box.

If you use a food on a stack that isn't all food you still lower the durability by 1 like normal and perform the action. If this causes the durability of that stack to be 0 then you must discard the entire stack under the normal inventory rules.

If you take it one action at a time when you're learning the game instead of trying to consolidate everything it makes things much easier. Hopefully that helps understand the full cycle.

This is also a good time to explain why having the woven basket is so useful. It has the stamina keyword and allows you to carry 3 additional items in that single stack. Thus if you're stacking lets say only food, you can carry up to 6 food in that stack (basket + 6 food = 7 total cards in the item stack). Very useful for doing multiple hunts at the same location to load up your stock ahead of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsesta84 wrote:
If you use a food on a stack that isn't all food you still lower the durability by 1 like normal and perform the action. If this causes the durability of that stack to be 0 then you must discard the entire stack under the normal inventory rules.
Okay, this is really weird!

But thanks for the explanation. It's much clearer for me now how it's supposed to work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
Okay, this is really weird!
Welcome to life on the 7th Continent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a noob, nice to see this in action to know that I'm doing it right.

Left a Fire in tile A.

Went to tile B and hunted. Got an excellent result due to a particular one use item which is awesome. Then got 4 food cards!

Because I was playing solo, I figured I could stack them all immmediately, putting the 4 on the dice on top.

Then I moved back to tile A with the fire for free - no cards (I can do this, right? Leaving the fire's tile doesn't extinguish the fire?).

Then I ate cooked food one after another. First card gulp! That card from the stack of 4 went to the discard, the die went to 3, I put 6 random action cards back into the action deck. Second card gulp! That card from the stack of 3 went to the discard, the die went to 2, I put 6 more random cards back into the action deck, etc.... for the last 2 cards. (the very last card was slightly different than the others, but mechanically similar.)

Total of 25 cards ended up back into the action deck... AHHHHHH.. I feel much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
As a noob, nice to see this in action to know that I'm doing it right.

Left a Fire in tile A.

Went to tile B and hunted. Got an excellent result due to a particular one use item which is awesome. Then got 4 food cards!

Because I was playing solo, I figured I could stack them all immmediately, putting the 4 on the dice on top.

Then I moved back to tile A with the fire for free - no cards (I can do this, right? Leaving the fire's tile doesn't extinguish the fire?).

Then I ate cooked food one after another. First card gulp! That card from the stack of 4 went to the discard, the die went to 3, I put 6 random action cards back into the action deck. Second card gulp! That card from the stack of 3 went to the discard, the die went to 2, I put 6 more random cards back into the action deck, etc.... for the last 2 cards. (the very last card was slightly different than the others, but mechanically similar.)

Total of 25 cards ended up back into the action deck... AHHHHHH.. I feel much better.

The only bit that *might* be wrong is the "moved back to tile A with the fire for free". Moving to the fire gives a discount of 1 per explorer involved, or 3 if using the "solo character". So it would only be free if the walking cost on tile B was 1...

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Graham. It was indeed a cost of 1.

I have another device that helps me on those tough "costs 2" walks. Didn't think it would be as awesome as it is, but that item is awesome, even though it seems so very very unassuming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
Thanks Graham. It was indeed a cost of 1.

I have another device that helps me on those tough "costs 2" walks. Didn't think it would be as awesome as it is, but that item is awesome, even though it seems so very very unassuming.

All looks right to me then!

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another food question! (well, it's actually a stack question in disguise).

If I have to discard a food item from inventory, and I have a stack of 4 food. Can I discard one of the cards? Or is the whole stack considered the one "item" now?

Actual situation:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I had a nice warm hut with a fire to rest and eat at. I went exploring elsewhere and I reset the game. I started running out of cards, but had a good stack of 4 food. So I went back to my hut.

When I got back,
there was a guy in there! Option 1 was to discard a food. (presumably to share with him?) Option 2 was to fight him. I was so low on cards, I couldn't give him my whole stack of food. But I'd have certainly given him one of the cards in the stack (ahem... the spoiled meat... sorry dude!).

Anyways, just wondering what that rule is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
Another food question! (well, it's actually a stack question in disguise).

If I have to discard a food item from inventory, and I have a stack of 4 food. Can I discard one of the cards? Or is the whole stack considered the one "item" now?

Actual situation:
I had a nice warm hut with a fire to rest and eat at. I went exploring elsewhere and I reset the game. I started running out of cards, but had a good stack of 4 food. So I went back to my hut.

When I got back,
there was a guy in there! Option 1 was to discard a food. (presumably to share with him?) Option 2 was to fight him. I was so low on cards, I couldn't give him my whole stack of food. But I'd have certainly given him one of the cards in the stack (ahem... the spoiled meat... sorry dude!).

Anyways, just wondering what that rule is.

Anything that allows you to discard or return a card from inventory only discards the single card, not the stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet it said "discard a card with the keyword food", card is distinct from item. You are not allowed to discard single cards from items unless explicitly told to like this.

(although eating also has that effect, so with food it's not unusual!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks...

...dang, I think those cards used to fight might have been enough to change a defeat into a victory last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
I bet it said "discard a card with the keyword food", card is distinct from item. You are not allowed to discard single cards from items unless explicitly told to like this.

I believe it said "item"... but I will need to check the card later to verify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
Ogrecrusher wrote:

I believe it said "item"... but I will need to check the card later to verify.

I've just checked it.

"If you want to take the following action, you must discard 1 card with the keyword food or clothing from your inventory".

That said, that action is not a red box one, you could have just eaten 3 of your food with his helpful fire, then given him the last one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Lucien,

My crushing loss has been growing on my mind all morning. Knowing this could have been the difference really helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls