Mahmoud Abdelwahab
Germany
Frankfurt am
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey guys, as most people here I've been working on a game for quite sometime now and I need your help finding out any games with a similar or close reference to study, compare and draw inspiration from.

I'm working on a hybrid mid strategy game for 2-4/6 players where players build their "kingdoms" exploring lands, gathering resources and building structures (as cards on designated places on their player board, which later on would count as new actions that they can perform on their turn),developing technologies, raising armies to raid and battle or choose to seak knowledge and advancement.

Players get "achievement tokens" for reaching predetermined goals in different categories (exploration-building-raiding-populating..etc) the first to get a certain amount of achievement tokens (Holy relics) triggers the end of the game, then they start comparing their Might! (Possible game name.. tbd) I.e VPs and the strongest/most developed/ most devoted kingdom wins...

Sorry for the long intro but i wanted to give you an idea about the game premiss first. A huge part of the game revolves around the player boards (where you build structures, store recourse, and place your prized achievements tokens (Holy relics) these player boards are designed to be individual mini maps (something like a city or rather a small kingdom) by itself, with walls and gates where OTHER PLAYERS can literally invade with their soilders (place their solider tokens on) destroying buildings, stealing technology, burning resources or most importantly stealing relics...

I have been searching A LOT for games that have a similar idea, but couldn't find. Please if you have any thoughts of similar games, let me know

I will also post in the WIP forum a deeper explanation of the game rules, ideas and mechanics and I would love to get your feedback on it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and for your much appreciated help

Best,
Mahmoud

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Wunderlin
United States
Sylvania
oh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at games where cards have multiple different uses, most notably represented by the game Glory to Rome, maybe having cards or tiles able to be built structuring in one's kingdom, or used for a 1-time effect for resources or influence.

I don't really know of any game that fits the bill for what you're looking at, maybe games like Mage knight where there is movement on a board. It sounds like you have to piece together a few game concepts or maybe have to abstract some of the actions.

Best of luck.

Edit: Actually, Xia has a modifiable player board that can be attacked (obviously a different theme), but it may be appropriate.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not exactly answering your question but you may find inspiration in this list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mahmoud Abdelwahab
Germany
Frankfurt am
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks Luke for the insights, I am a bit familiar with Mage knight, not really what I'm going for, but I get what you mean by merging game concepts, it's how I started actually... from Imperial settlers / kemmet to be exact.

I will check up Glory to Rome and Xia

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quite different theme but in Keyflower players can use the tiles/buildings in other players' villages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are making a Clash of Clans / Warcraft II / Starcraft boardgame. Lots of games are similar.

Your scoring is more like Civilization.

The fixed center board says you always need exactly 4 players? That's not so flexible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mahmoud Abdelwahab
Germany
Frankfurt am
Germany
flag msg tools
GrauGeist wrote:
You are making a Clash of Clans / Warcraft II / Starcraft boardgame. Lots of games are similar.

The fixed center board says you always need exactly 4 players? That's not so flexible.

Well, I guess you are completely right, it does sound like a real-time strategy game more than anything else, to be honest I didn't initially planned for it to be, it was meant to be more of an engine builder . But I've just checked warcraft and clash of civilizations, and they have a lot of similar concepts, not exactly the same as the playable player boards but at least I have some good references now, so thank you for that!!
The central board is definitely not fixed, it is made up of three different parts that will be combined in different arrangements depending on the player count , however it will be the same map for each player count since it serves a different purpose other than gathering resources.

Thank you for your feedback that was quite useful! Now I have some study to do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mahmoud Abdelwahab
Germany
Frankfurt am
Germany
flag msg tools
odie73 wrote:

Quite different theme but in Keyflower players can use the tiles/buildings in other players' villages.

Quite a clever mechanic! Place a worker to use the tile, but opponent gets to keep the workers you use! No the same idea unfortunately of what I'm looking for but was very interesting to learn... actually I'm a bit curious about Keyflower now, I haven't played it yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mahmoud171 wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:

Well, I guess you are completely right, it does sound like a real-time strategy game more than anything else, to be honest I didn't initially planned for it to be, it was meant to be more of an engine builder . But I've just checked warcraft and clash of civilizations, and they have a lot of similar concepts, not exactly the same as the playable player boards but at least I have some good references now, so thank you for that!!
The central board is definitely not fixed, it is made up of three different parts that will be combined in different arrangements depending on the player count , however it will be the same map for each player count since it serves a different purpose other than gathering resources.

Glad to help. I look forward to seeing where you go with this. IIRC, there is a Warcraft boardgame, so I suggest you check that out, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A thinner game of this variety: Meeple War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mahmoud Abdelwahab
Germany
Frankfurt am
Germany
flag msg tools
GrauGeist wrote:
mahmoud171 wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:

Glad to help. I look forward to seeing where you go with this. IIRC, there is a Warcraft boardgame, so I suggest you check that out, too!

I already did when you first commented and I'm looking for a copy now thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mahmoud Abdelwahab
Germany
Frankfurt am
Germany
flag msg tools
Corsaire wrote:
A thinner game of this variety: Meeple War

Like you said, it has a more abstract approach maybe but it actually gave me an idea as well. Having different amounts if VPs according to the building hit points is a good idea rather than standardizing them.

Anyway thanks for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls