5 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Splitting the group and moving rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Captain Flint
msg tools
Hi,
Sorry for bothering you with my doubts, but I read through the handbook several times and still I'm not really sure on how to play this game.

Splitting the group: is that useful at all? I played my first game without ever taking different direction from my companion. It just didn't seem convenient. But I wonder if that might actually be useful in some situations. In that case, do you take turns separately?
Also connected to this is the issue of moving/walking.

Many terrain cards require you to discard cards in order to move. Let's say that we are on one of those hard terrain cards where you need 3+ cards and 0 successes to move.
In that case I can:
- spend 3 cards and move BOTH caracters if on the same tile.
- Take the action together and thus spend 2 cards but I need at least 1 success
- Spend 3 cards and move ONE character, thus splitting the group. Then, if I want to move another character on the same tile, I can use e.g. Victor's or Lovecraft skill to spend -1 card to move on the tile where there is already an explorer (as stated on the character card).

Am I wrong? Probably very much so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Splitting up is seldom really helpful, but there are situations where it can be better (like paranoia).

You are correct with the movement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Borries
Germany
Schnelldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cptFlint wrote:

In that case I can:
- spend 3 cards and move BOTH caracters if on the same tile.
- Take the action together and thus spend 2 cards but I need at least 1 success

Actually in both cases you take the action together, as only involved characters move.

There are reasons to split up the party, one of them is to get rid of paranoia, one other is to let one or two characters go fetch something while the rest of the group stays in place, so the others can use the -1 for returning without the need of a fire token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you've got it.

It's an unusual game. Trust that you know what you need to know to get started. You'll learn how to play by playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaella CG
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sometimes you can leave someone in a strategic place (re: Fire Boomerang) or to allow them to take an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls