Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I’m a big fan of the paper-and-pencil game Racetrack. It’s just a great mixture of abstract that simulates something real, simple components, can be played with a wide number of players from solo to many, allows infinite variety of race designs, and easy to add advanced rules like gravel and hard braking.

I’ve been looking for more paper-and-pencil games that ideally use just graph paper and pencil and work solo and with more players, but my cursory searches have come up empty. Mostly I just have found 2-player-only games or ones that just feel like logic puzzles where I’d be better off programming a computer to solve it.

Any recommendations I should investigate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question. The only other game on a grid that immediately comes to mind is "Dots and Boxes", but I don't think that is what you had in mind.

Made a geeklist of the ones I found.

Geeklist: Pencil and Paper games played on Graph Paper

My brother played race track at Ga. Tech - a lot. Computer operator asked him about all the reams of paper with dots. "Gosh, the program must be hung in a loop..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
That was fast Herb! Yeah, Dots and Boxes (and Tic-Tac-Toe of course) are the only ones I knew before discovering Racetrack. Searching BGG I found more that looked like they felt a lot like Dots and Boxes, which look interesting but don’t excite me. I’ll check out the geeklist!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Luna
Spain
Rubí
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I don't know if these games are what you are looking for, but let me suggest some of my favourite paper-&-pencil games:

Connect6 is a clever evolution of Connect Four.
Flume and Lynx are closely related to Boxes.
Squava is related to Tic-Tac-Toe.
NoGo and Snorkels are Go variants.

Then you have:

Dominate and Majorities resembling elections.
Jewels in the Sand which is a post-it-&-pencil Zendo.
and some territory games like Kulami, Linage or Xodd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

Havannah is p&p and it is essentially a race although it's usually listed as a connection game. And of course there's Hex and, come to think of it, Starweb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Phutball might be of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
NJames wrote:
Phutball might be of interest.
But you'll have to use an eraser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Lexington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sprouts does not need graph paper, but is way cool nonetheless.

EDIT

And there is TwixtPP, a variant of standard Twixt. PP refers to pencil and paper. The Little Golem server implements this, and many players prefer this to the standard. I recommend, instead of using graph paper, you download a playing sheet from the files section. IMO graph paper is too cluttered.

The rules for PP can be found here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:

Havannah is p&p and it is essentially a race although it's usually listed as a connection game. And of course there's Hex and, come to think of it, Starweb.

Racetrack using square grid paper which is ordinary graph paper. I don't think the OP was looking for P&P games that required special designs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
herace wrote:
christianF wrote:

Racetrack using square grid paper which is ordinary graph paper. I don't think the OP was looking for P&P games that required special designs.
Considering that there's no lack of options to download printable hexgrids, I thought I'd take the risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all the ideas. The problem for me is I don’t really want a 2-player combinatorial-style game, which I realize is the bread and butter for most readers of this forum. To give more context, I like to go backpacking with a small piece of laminated bright orange graph paper (blank on the backside) and a dry erase marker. I currently use this to play Racetrack, mostly solo but I can play it with others when they do backpack with me, and as a way to leave a note in case of an emergency. So I’m looking for something else that I might play with the same materials and that has simple enough rules that I can easily remember.

Some that interest me most:
Morpion Solitaire - solo only but I can see myself wasting a lot of time messing around with it.

Abs-Trac-Toe - looks like 2-p only, but apparently also has solo rules (not sure how), and I could see it working with more than 2 as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reymann
United States
Barberton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of hex-grids, playing Racetrack on the vertices of isometric graph paper (the kind tiled with equilateral triangles) is a really fun twist on the original. IMO, it fits the perfect balance between the main 8-way and 4-way versions on square grids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Thanks for all the ideas. The problem for me is I don’t really want a 2-player combinatorial-style game, which I realize is the bread and butter for most readers of this forum. To give more context, I like to go backpacking with a small piece of laminated bright orange graph paper (blank on the backside) and a dry erase marker. I currently use this to play Racetrack, mostly solo but I can play it with others when they do backpack with me, and as a way to leave a note in case of an emergency. So I’m looking for something else that I might play with the same materials and that has simple enough rules that I can easily remember.

Morpion Solitaire - solo only but I can see myself wasting a lot of time messing around with it.

Abs-Trac-Toe - looks like 2-p only, but apparently also has solo rules (not sure how), and I could see it working with more than 2 as well.
I suspected that combinatorial games might not have been what you were most excited about. Your request would make an interesting design challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:

The blank backside would allow P&P games that don't use a "board" like Sprouts and Game of SIM for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, Sprouts and Sim sound cool for blank paper. But I need 2-p.

Edit: By “need”, I mean I would need an opponent to specifically play those 2 cool-looking games. When backpacking, I’m usually solo, so I’m most interested in games I can enjoy solo, but occasionally can also play with 1-3 opponents, depending on how many join me on my trips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Sprouts and Sims are 2-player. (FWIW I've played Sprouts and enjoyed it with various people.)

(Rereading your original post, I wonder whether you meant to say that you want games for more than 2 players, and not games for specifically 2 players?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
russ wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:
Sprouts and Sims are 2-player. (FWIW I've played Sprouts and enjoyed it with various people.)

(Rereading your original post, I wonder whether you meant to say that you want games for more than 2 players, and not games for specifically 2 players?)

I didn’t think I said I wanted games specifically 2 players. That was not my intention. I mentioned towards the end that 2-player games are what I had mostly found in my search, but that I wanted games that worked well from solo to many, like Racetrack.

But some of the 2-player-only suggestions have been interesting, so I appreciate any and all contributions. I’m just specifically most interested in games that I can play mostly solo on a piece of graph or blank paper (or maybe isometric graph paper, which I have to try now), but occasionally can play 2, 3, 4...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
russ wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:

I didn’t think I said I wanted games specifically 2 players.
I agree that your original post seemed clear that you didn't want specifically 2-player games!

Hence I was surprised/confused that your later comment about Sprouts said "But I need 2-p" which seems to mean "But I need 2-player", i.e. the opposite of what your original post said. Am I misunderstanding what you mean by "But I need 2-p"...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ha ha, yeah I meant that I need an opponent to play those cool-looking suggestions. I didn’t mean that I’m asking for 2-player-only games in this thread. modest I edited that confusing post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Aha, mystery solved!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The commercial version of racetrack is Bolide. It has extra bells and whistles, but it is essentially racetrack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls