Popular Tags: [View All]
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
So - I finally completed my first curse, which was the tutorial mission, Crystal Song. Took me about 3.5 hours to do this solo, including one failed attempt where I died swimming.

In the process of learning the rules, I came across a couple of questions that I am not sure about. The answers are probably there somewhere, but I wonder if somebody could help clarify these:

(1) when combining an item, do the subitems:
(1a) have to all match all the keywords between every item? (if top item is "stamina/serenity", then all subitems have to also be "stamina/serenity")
(1b) have to all match all the keywords on the top item, but not each other? (if top item is "will", then all subitems have to have "will", but some may have other descriptors)
(1c) have to each match the same keyword on the top item? (if top item is "stamina/serenity", then all subitems must have "stamina" or all subitems must have "serenity")
(1d) have to each match at least one keyword on the top item, but not match each other otherwise? (if top item is "stamina/serenity", then each subitems must have either "stamina" or "serenity")

I THINK the answer is 1d, but I am not comfortable that I got it right.

(2) am I allowed to "recraft" a combined item without dissembling it? what I mean by that is, can I decide as an action to change the order of subitems in a stack such that a different item is now on top? I think not, but again, am not comfortable I got this right.

Thank you very much folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to 1 is e: subitems don't have to match at all, but you don't increase durability unless they match at least 1 of the keywords of the top item.

The answer to 2 is no - you cannot rearrange an item except for certain abilities that discard individual cards (examples: "discard this" cards, character abilities)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
abredon wrote:
The answer to 1 is e: subitems don't have to match at all, but you don't increase durability unless they match at least 1 of the keywords of the top item.

Oh! So I can add any item to any stack? boy did I get this wrong, then.

Just to make sure, based on your comment: if I DO want to increase the die, then answer 1(d) applies?

abredon wrote:
The answer to 2 is no - you cannot rearrange an item except for certain abilities that discard individual cards (examples: "discard this" cards, character abilities)

Thank you for confirming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lightnng wrote:
abredon wrote:

Oh! So I can add any item to any stack? boy did I get this wrong, then.

Just to make sure, based on your comment: if I DO want to increase the die, then answer 1(d) applies?

Yes. If the new item matches any of the keywords of the top item (only the top item), you csn incrrase durability by the number of pips on the new item (with a maximum of 6 pips for the stack)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
<Oh, I think I read somewhere that to combine an item, the relevant cards needed to match at least one of their keywords... will need to re-check that when I have the rulebook at hand.

It made sense to me, because combining totally different kinds of items would be weird...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
<Oh, I think I read somewhere that to combine an item, the relevant cards needed to match at least one of their keywords... will need to re-check that when I have the rulebook at hand.

It made sense to me, because combining totally different kinds of items would be weird...

You are most definitely wrong, despite it being weird.

A lot of people make the same mistake. We get a thread about it every other week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I mean, ok, it's really not the best written rulebook in the world, but it DOES explain a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:
This is something I'm not sure about:
E.g. yesterday, in my solo game I've combined 4 items with the 'aggressive' keyword into one item resulting in a quite impressive implement of death with a durability of 6. However, one of the items was a 'bola' which says it has to be discarded after use.

What does this mean for my item? Do I have to discard all four cards of my combined item or is it allowed to just remove this one card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
abredon wrote:
E.g. yesterday, in my solo game I've combined 4 items with the 'aggressive' keyword into one item resulting in a quite impressive implement of death with a durability of 6. However, one of the items was a 'bola' which says it has to be discarded after use.

What does this mean for my item? Do I have to discard all four cards of my combined item or is it allowed to just remove this one card?

It says Discard this. "This" refers to that card. So you discard just the Bolas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:

Any effect which is 'discard this card' or 'discard a card from your inventory with keyword x' type effects can deconstruct that individual card from the item. Thus, if you trigger the discard effect of the Bolas, then you just discard that individual card and now the item has more space for a new card to be added later.

If you remove the top card in this matter, just move the die to the new top card without changing its value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls