Jan Schlien
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
Me and my friend designed a round based deck building card game for two or more players and we are currently in the process finalizing it. The theme is pretty much set, but we're struggling with naming things (as usual). There is a number of different characters, each with its individual strengths and powers. These are likely being called magicians.

The magicians cast spells, fighting each other for energy (?) of different worlds (?) in a multiverse (?). I pretty much like energy as the term for power that can be used in the following rounds, but we're open for other suggestions too.

The terms we are most uncertain about are multiverse and worlds. As the game developed and gameplay evolved, the multiverse theme got a bit in the background. In each round the magicians fight for a fixed number of currently reachable worlds that exist in parallel dimensions, each providing a certain type of energy. Sometimes it is important if worlds are adjacent. The worlds could previously move around, so that neighborhood of worlds was flexible. However the position of the worlds is now fixed for each round.

When explaining the game to early play testers, we mostly come to stumble across "multiverse" and "worlds", which made us questioning if we got the right terms for this kind of game. The mechanics could as well work with magicians traveling to different "regions" in a "universe". Or might also work with different "resources" in a "magic forest" (though this would be a bit farther off).

I would love to hear your thoughts about that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to realms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Muller
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was going to mention realms (Fey, elemental), planes and dimensions like Brian.

But you could go more local, using ley lines or power sources (Stonehenge etc.) or maybe an astrological version, moon and planets in dominance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schlien
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
Thank you for your ideas, so we have three out of three like "realms". I also love that term, especially because it could very well also solve another problem which is deciding on a name for our card game.

I have to admit that I still feel a bit uncertain about the other term I'd be looking for. It seems I haven't made myself clear enough, I'll try again: The current wording is "worlds" in a "multiverse" and I'm looking to replace both.

So if "realms" are replacing our "worlds", what would the "multiverse" be replaced with then? My current feeling is to probably even exchange it with "world" as that term would be free now. So worlds + multiverse -> realms + world.

Or can anyone come up with a different suggestion for the other term?

churchb33 wrote:
It also sounds a lot like the magic system in the Malazan Book of the Fallen fantasy series. In that series, the author calls the other worlds "warrens".

Thank you Brian for that reference, I will definitely read a bit more about that series, which I had not even heard about so far. We do not want to theme our game too close to any existing fantasy series, though.

churchb33 wrote:

I think the term should be evocative of your theme - should it have an old feeling or a modern/futuristic feeling?

Apart from the classical terms you suggested which rather generate this old feeling, do you also have a suggestion on anything that would make a futuristic impression?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Muller
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Realms within the Cosmos (Cosmology)
Realms within the World Tree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Walker
United Kingdom
HANTS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about replacing Worlds with Kingdoms, and replacing Multiverse with Realms?

For examople - Kingdom of Bob in the Realm of Squirrel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Finamore
United States
Wayne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the OP, Realms was the first thing that popped into my head as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could give a unique name to the "multiverse", and then use that name for the "multiverse" itself and also for the game (or a variation, like "realms of <multiverse>" or "battle over <multiverse>" or something like that).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
could you give a full in game example? Origionaly I was imagioning being able to use "realm" and "all realms" kind of thing but I'm guessing thats just too clunky?
some other multiverse alternatives:
cosmos
macrocosm
eternity
maybe some word play on terra? I've seen that done plenty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second 'realms within the world-tree'.

or 'Sefirot of the Tree of Life'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bianco

California
msg tools
I think you are right to get rid of "multiverse."

You are making creative content, which means you are a creative person. The problem with multiverses is that they sound unfathomably massive, which also makes them seem very empty. It is unlikely you will come up with enough creative stuff to fill it.

"I am from an entire universe, and somewhere in that unfathomably large space, fae creatures exist, have at thee centaur!"

"What an enormous coincidence, I too am from an incomprehensibly vast universe filled with billions of stars, and indeed in one tiny insignificant corner of that, we centaurs make our home! en garde!"

"Haha, you are both screwed, for I too hail from a place that is so enormous that my own existence seems so utterly insignificant that it would be hard to prove that I exist at all! My home is but a speck of a speck of a speck, except on one such infinitesimally tiny speck my tribe of wizardly gnomes exists! And we're pissed!"

"Wow, we're all so tiny and insignificant, the idea that so many of us could arrive at a singular location like this is so staggeringly unlikely it is dumbfounding! On my homeworld, we have a lottery where we pick 50 numbers, and logically I'd have better odds of winning it every day for a thousand years than for something like this to happen! What are we fighting over again?"

The smaller the scale the richer and more interconnected your lore will seem. The bigger the universe, the emptier and duller it will seem. Maybe lands? principalities(lol)? Unless you've got Neil Gaiman, George Lucas, Stephen King, and George RR Martin on the team I think keeping things small and simple is better.

Lands? Domains? Elements? Moneys? Spirits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celeste P
United States
Collinsville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fighting for control of the "Arcane Currents" flowing from each "Primal Nexus" within the "Maelstrom of the Infinite?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Marek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mb
Try to be more specific about the worlds and multiverses. Is there some of them which is more important for some reasons ? Name it. Make it living. Name your name like that.

Check fantasy generator if you lack names.
https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/dimension-names.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Channing Jones
Germany
Kleve
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some fantasy worlds use the name "plane" for otherworldy places.

So you would have the Universe/World for everything and "Planes" for the subsets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls