7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Resource for river sizes (by drainage)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Ortez
msg tools
Hello,

I’m creating a map of the US and I’m having a hard time finding resources that will help me determine just how difficult a given river would be to cross in any given place. For example, most maps show the Arkansas and Colorado rivers as being simply “rivers” no matter where they are. I live in Colorado and know that in much of my state you can cross the Colorado without getting your knees wet and the same can apply to the Arkansas even 100 miles E of the Rockies. I’ve had to resort to zooming in on Google maps onto bridges over the various waterways but that’s obviously grossly inefficient. The resources I’ve found that show drainages merely list for when a river empties into a larger body of water but not at given points along the river’s route.

A map type resource would be MOST useful but I’d work with a database or what have you.

Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for average depth and width throughout the year? I live near the Ohio River, and the depth varies depending on how much rain there has been recently and probably lots of other factors...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some info for California:
https://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/rfc_guidance.php
If you put your mouse over one of the dots on the map, it will give you Danger Stage, Flood Stage and Monitor Stage for that spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Ortez
msg tools
I’m looking really for the average. At some point I’d like to make my game more detailed (heavy rain vs drought for example). But for now I have waaay more on my plate than to worry too much about that. Thanks! (As for living on the Ohio, I used to live on the Mississippi and I laugh when some “rivers” in Colorado are called rivers. I tell people anything you can cross without getting your knees wet is *not* a river)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Ortez
msg tools
bwingrave wrote:
Here's some info for California:
https://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/rfc_guidance.php
If you put your mouse over one of the dots on the map, it will give you Danger Stage, Flood Stage and Monitor Stage for that spot.

Thanks for this! It looks really useful! I’d imagine there’s a link of some sort in there somewhere for the rest of the US so I’ll look harder when I get the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't USGS have maps with detail on depth for each one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Ortez
msg tools
GrauGeist wrote:
Doesn't USGS have maps with detail on depth for each one?

There is! It’s similar to beingrave’s link above but covers the whole US. It’s under USGS Hydrography. I’ll try to post a link if anyone’s interested. I have it up on my pc but I’m away from it at the moment. I only found it by taking educated guess clicks on the USGS site which is not very intuitive. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls