Subject: Shut Up and Pipeline? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene

Lakewood
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So are there any other Shut Up and Sit Down fans out there who listened to their most recent podcast and wondered if they were playing the same game of Pipeline as the Pegs?

It was strange to hear the Pegs be so critical of a game that Shut Up and Sit Down seemed to love so much. I know people have different tastes, but hearing how both groups talked about the options and strategy in the game made me wonder if one of the groups was playing the game wrong.

The variety of experience was interesting to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lodan wrote:
So are there any other Shut Up and Sit Down fans out there who listened to their most recent podcast and wondered if they were playing the same game of Pipeline as the Pegs?

It was strange to hear the Pegs be so critical of a game that Shut Up and Sit Down seemed to love so much. I know people have different tastes, but hearing how both groups talked about the options and strategy in the game made me wonder if one of the groups was playing the game wrong.

The variety of experience was interesting to see.

Having been corrected in my teach of the game by the designer, I can assure you we did not play the game wrong. I haven’t seen the SUSD review yet though I am sure it is well reasoned and finely structured. I think we all acknowledged the game is good (though very clearly, not without faults), just not necessarily for all of our taste.

PS- If you think our views on Pipeline were different, wait to you hear our take on Blood on the Clocktower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene

Lakewood
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was the strangest 'recommendation' by SU&SD I've seen since their Clock tower review. Pipeline is good, but not great and most of the alternatives it's compared to are better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
That was the strangest 'recommendation' by SU&SD I've seen since their Clock tower review. Pipeline is good, but not great and most of the alternatives it's compared to are better.

Yeah that was one of the worst reviews I've seen from them in terms of getting their thoughts across. After watching the review, it seemed like they just thought it was an ok game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought their review was fine. I can see Matt liking Pipeline, from his explanation it has some similarities with Tramways in the pipes and route aspects.

While to me, it doesn't look as messy as a Lacerda game always seems to look, it's not too far from it (I actually thought it was another Lacerda+O'Toole game). But I think Matt got the point across that he enjoyed turning early moves that would take several turns to accomplish into one turn ordeals with upgrades and careful planning.

Personally i'd give the game a try, but on the surface it looks like another 'everything is connect except the players' sort of game. I kept thinking "I'd like to play Power Grid again" throughout the review though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jacobson

Omaha
Nebraska - NE
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dukane wrote:
I thought their review was fine. I can see Matt liking Pipeline, from his explanation it has some similarities with Tramways in the pipes and route aspects.

While to me, it doesn't look as messy as a Lacerda game always seems to look, it's not too far from it (I actually thought it was another Lacerda+O'Toole game). But I think Matt got the point across that he enjoyed turning early moves that would take several turns to accomplish into one turn ordeals with upgrades and careful planning.

Personally i'd give the game a try, but on the surface it looks like another 'everything is connect except the players' sort of game. I kept thinking "I'd like to play Power Grid again" throughout the review though.

It does have some clear Lacerda-isms. Ryan, being a Lacerda fan, would be excited to hear you make that connection, I'd guess. I'm quite partial to the game myself, but I can clearly see how people and reviewers feel differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played any Vital Lacerda games, but I am a fan of SU&SD and their reviews.

In the Pipeline review, they made comparisons to Food Chain Magnate and Container. I like all three games, but I think they are geared towards different audiences.

I think I can teach Container to almost any group. It can almost be a gateway game, if there is one player willing to help with the rules.

Food Chain Magnate is the meanest game I've played. Pipeline isn't as mean, but it has some of the same feel. I think FCM is a tad more elegant with a simpler ruleset.

Someone also mentioned that it was similar to Power Grid. I think the addition/lack of an auction is an important difference, though. I suck at auctions, but I love how the market works in Power Grid. I feel like I have more of a chance in Pipeline.

I also think there's a similarity to Brass, as well. Maybe a little in the iron/coal markets, but also in how it feels like there's a rush to get stuff to market first.

Brass and Power Grid both have a map/area control aspect to them, while Pipeline's pipe network is definitely more more multiplayer solitaire.

I think the one thing that is missing from all the reviews is that Pipeline is a lot quicker than the other games - as long as you don't have AP-prone players. Learning a game of Brass seemed to be a three-hour affair, while Pipeline had a two-hour playtime. I'm not sure if it because it's marginally simpler, or if there's only one scoring round, or what. Maybe the finite number of rounds acts as a timer for the game, as opposed to breaking the bank a second time in Food Chain Magnate. It might not be fair to compare it to Power Grid because I played a five-player game with new players (and there was a bad card draw according to some of the veterans.)

I definitely can see who would and wouldn't like the game. To be honest, I thought both BPPP and SU&SD wouldn't like the game, and then other podcasts like Heavy Cardboard or Cardboard Reality would like it. It would be one of the heavier games in my collection, but I would still be able to get it to the table. Terra Mystica and Brass are a lot harder to get people to play, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Alvarez
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Game Barrage were also "meh" on Pipeline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
godzilla614 wrote:
Board Game Barrage were also "meh" on Pipeline.

Oh. I'm a couple episodes behind, and heard that one of them listed it as one of the games they were most excited about for Gen Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irwin Dolobowsky
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pipeline seems to be generating a lot of different reviews, which is great! Locally my friends love it. The Secret Cabal folks gave it a positive but not excellent review.

I actually am enjoying that there is a game that is generating different opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls