David Bianco

California
msg tools
I'm one of those, Helvetica to me is by far the most beautiful sans-serif font. When I see it, I hear music. I have been obsessed with design aesthetics for most of my life, from fashion to print and film, but I'm just tacky enough that Helvetica for me is the end-all.

I've put about 6 months of work into a project which I initially I had not planned to release commercially, but I am starting to see a lot of potential in the project. Much of what I have done so far was painstakingly typeset in 12pt Helvetica using Tikz LaTex, and the templates I created for much of the game's content are engineered around it.

I have some means and should be able to finance a few runs of my game even without doing a Kickstarter, though I may do one anyway as it will enable some premium features.

The current plan is for the game to be modular, as in the components will be sold separately so that people can customize theirs by buying different tilesets, Action books, Mats, and Logic books. Helvetica will be used for the Action Book component for sure, and likely the Logic Book component as well. I may use it, sparingly, on the game mats, and possibly in the packaging for the tilesets but that may not be a necessity.

I've thought about releasing self printable .pdf versions of the books as well, but my understanding is that that would require an additional license for electronic distribution.

Anyway, is there any way to estimate the cost of purchasing licenses for such an application? I fear it would be irresponsible for me to continue without that knowledge as I would be creating more work for myself down the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Copeland
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Licenses for Helvetica only are $199, but for the entire Helvetica family, it is $399.

https://www.linotype.com/1308886/helvetica-family.html?site=...

I am not sure on the scope, but for digital publishing. This should cover you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bianco

California
msg tools
Thanks very much, that is a huge relief. For some insane reason, I thought this would cost me more in the neighbourhood of 5 grand and was trying to rationalize the cost.

One caveat/clarification, I want to do both electronic and print distribution. Essentially It'll be a thing where you can buy premium quality physical books or you can print them yourself to save money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls