• [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I think action points would fit best with the idea of dungeon crawler.

Every "turn" (a measure of time) allows a player to do a limited number of actions- there's just not enough time to do everything. Some actions are more "expensive" meaning they take longer and/or require more effort.

Space Cadets: Away Missions works this way. I can open a hatch as one action. I can then move as another action. In a dungeon, one action may be to pick a lock/bash in a door. But a different action could be to open a door & move through it. Different characters can have different action costs.

Players could also spend some resource to get more action points. Or have items that give them additional action points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoare
United Kingdom
Chippenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
Why limit them?

I presume to avoid a game where your average fighter, rogue, healer & mage start at the top of the stairs:

Fighter: descends the stairs, opens a door, hits a monster, hits a monster and hits it again, moves to next monster, hits the monster... opens a door, moves down a corridor, climbs out of the pit trap, moves down the corridor... hits the monster... grabs the McGuffin, retraces route .

Rogue: Hmm? We head to town to sell the loot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoare
United Kingdom
Chippenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I like dungeon crawlers to be fast and furious, 2 appeals to me most.

In a full on RPG I'm happy with rules crunch and grit.

1 & 4 sound interesting.

5, if like gloomhaven is too far into the 'combat as co-operative tactical puzzle' which can annoy me in both dungeon crawlers and rpgs.
Maybe it's the way our group plays but I've had combat in both that has dragged what would a short action sequence in real life into over an hour's worth of "if you move two squares forward and sidestep then fire.. no, that's blocking the mage's LOS.. err.. mage moves first and fires spell.. but if you don't kill x then it can target the mage..."

What about some sort of push-your-luck / bloodbowl approach? I can think of at least one beserker player who'll find himself sucked into a room full of minions with no local support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option with less accounting than using action points is letting a player do one thing on their turn, with possible optional free bonus actions from items or abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you need more mechanics?

A rondel is a many splendid thing, sharing it amongst players is always an instant brain burner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
churchb33 wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:
Do you need more mechanics?

A rondel is a many splendid thing, sharing it amongst players is always an instant brain burner.

I guess I want to strike a balance between pace of play, ease of learning the rules, strategic decision making, excitement, and ideally something fresh. Like you, I worry that the rondel could slow down play, though I do think it has a lot of merit.

Yeah, then I don’t think a rondel is what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoare
United Kingdom
Chippenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
churchb33 wrote:
I agree with you about the Gloomhaven puzzle aspect resulting in a lot of overthinking. I've only played 3 sessions so far but felt like it was very slow (mostly my fault for being prone to Analysis Paralysis).

I've only tried the PnP first scenario. Could see it taking years for our group to get through it.

churchb33 wrote:

What is the push-your-luck approach from Bloodbowl?

It won't exactly and it's a bit of a stray thought. In BB you perform actions with each model until one of them fails a die roll. At which point your turn is over.
I was wondering what would happen if you let each character act until they failed an action [moving more than usual MP would require a possible fail, as would dodging past an enemy&c]. could lead to some interesting gut-based decisions especially around move-action-move sequences where you might get stuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also use a reaction system, allowing players to do whatever they want to do, in any order, any number of times, but many actions trigger (or might trigger) enemy reactions (or trigger things like random events). Players are always active and you never switch to an AI turn.

Can think of examples from minis games and RPGs. There is probably some boardgame like that too? I know I would want to try to make or/and play one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls