Popular Tags: [View All]
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good morning, Pegheads!!! The end of this week is Gen Con! Who is going? Who is all in for Gen Cant? Anticipated releases? Demos? Favorite people to see (besides the Pegs and Pegheads, of course!)?

But what the pegheads really want to know is...what are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to Gen Con! I hope to see everyone there.

Before we go, I have two games left on my "top of the stack" for the month, both relatively short, so I'm going to try and get those played at [toggle Gaming] tomorrow night.

At the Con itself, I've left my schedule pretty open so I can meet with publishers as available, and because we're doing so much time in the hall.

I will be in the First Exposure playtest hall for 16-20 hours. Here's a separate thread about that if anyone wants to stop by and see our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gen-Can't for me! However, I am SUPER excited for this weekend. One of my favorite miniature painters on the planet, Sam Lenz, is coming to Portland this weekend to do a two day painting seminar. Not only did I assume I'd never meet him (he is a Midwest fellow), but I really never imagined I'd get to have him teach me painting techniques. It would be like spending two days learning recipes from Gordon Ramsey. Here are a few pics of his work:

Boardgaming this week? I've got some ideas brewing, but it requires a little planning. I'll check back in later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Huminski
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the GenCant camp, having spent my PTO and $$$ on Origins. Plus, I'll be travelling for a party this weekend.

Alla youse going to GenCon, have fun, and roll some dice for me, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No GenCon, but will play a bunch of games here at home. Buying a lot less games these days too - we have so many good ones, that we are funding the odd new purchase mostly with sales of old games.

Weird aside:

All my life we called them vacation days at work, but now that my firm joined up with a bigger one in the USA it has been rebranded to PTO. Which makes it sound less fun. I don't know if that's a commentary on American vacation culture making it have a very clinical corporate sounding name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely more of a GenCan than a GenCan't...but, moreover, it's GenWon't just because there's far less of a focus on gaming, unlike Origins and much smaller conventions. I may go next year, as I've been asked by several publishers to assist, so next year may be my first.

Of the games I've seen, I have no interest in any of them, save Black Angel, simply because it's from the same team that designed Troyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No GenCon for me. And looking at everything I have to do this week, it's likely I won't be GenCan't-ing much either. Perhaps a solo game of an evening, but that's about it. So it'll be a GenCantSoloCon for me.

Monday night was our monthly playtest meetup group. We had *6* new people - which may not sound like much, but we usually only have 3-4, so we almost tripled our usual attendance, and it meant we could have 3 prototypes being played simultaneously throughout the evening. A great time, and some really good unpublished games being played, which I could see all of being published at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...oh, I forgot the playing this week part of the question blush

This week, no D&D and I'm completely caught-up on all of my development duties for the time being, so it's been quiet. However, tonight, I'm hosting a friend over to the house for a 2-player game of Gaia Project and tomorrow is my hosted Game Night at the Irish Pub, where I'll play either the Forces of Darkness or Light in Star Wars: Rebellion. I'll round out the week, when I head to Philly to see my girlfriend, bringing Yokohama (currently 0:4 against her), Puerto Rico (also 0:4), and La Graja which I picked-up for a song through Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vigo Velito
United States
Haymarket
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I went to gencon in 2014...it has grown significantly, and back then it was a bit much...lots and lots of people. Finding the publisher side rooms is a nice get away from the horde. Maybe at some point I'd go back, but not high on my lists of conventions I'd attend. Felt more FOMO for origins this year than any other convention.

The Professor wrote:
...I have no interest in any of them, save Black Angel...

Black Angel is the only one that I am interested in this year as well. Point Salad is getting everyone, all excited -- might be fun with the family, but not a must have. Huzzah Hobbies in Ashburn is participating in AEG's Big Game night, I might swing over there Friday to see what is up. Labyrinth in DC is one of the stores doing the GenCon Pop-up, doubt I'd be going into the city, though it may be fun.

Sunday we introduced our three oldest to Sheriff of Nottingham, we removed the crazy illegal goods like gambling dice and other promos to limit the reading, given our daughter can't yet. She needed a lot of help from my wife and I (depending on who was not sheriff), clearly it helped...she won. All 3 have been asking the last 2 days to play that again so it will probably see some play later this week.

We played Camel Up (2nd) with the 3 oldest last night as well. The second edition is a much better production with the plastic pyramid. The pop-up board is cute, but it kind of gets in my way; I sit on the opposite side of the board, so it is right in front of me. We have fun with that...good family game at the end of the day which doesn't require thought, also played a quick chess game with my oldest.

The Professor wrote:
...La Granja which I picked-up for a song through Amazon.

I saw that too and also picked it up, so that may also get some play this weekend. I finally got in on Nemo's War 2nd edition through the latest expansion Kickstarter. That is set to arrive on Friday/Saturday so if...if I can get through the rulebook that may see play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vigo,

I'l have to add La Granja to Game Night, but I also know that I promised to teach you guys Yokohama.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much gaming over the weekend (though I did enjoy watching all the GenCon updates on Facebook and Twitter!).

I did get a 3p game of Custom Heroes with my kids, which was a lot of fun (I won post-6th-round with most VPs). Great game.

Also constructed 2 of the 3 prototypes I've got in the pipeline to test for publishers. Now just need time to try them (I've read all the rules, I just need to sit down and play!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Legault
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite things I played/picked up at Gencon this year were: The King's Dilemma, Slide Quest, Jaws, Similo, Finger Guns at High Noon, Las Vegas Royale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls