Jonathan Wisner
United States
Milliken
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I gathered to start our second curse after beating the crystal song after a couple goes. We started up The Voracious Goddess and at first were doing great, making good decisions gathering some food and decent items and were in general feeling good about ourselves until we crossed the ocean to the mainland of the big island.

Once there I built a fire and we cooked 2 food items returning 13 cards to the deck and then explored a little bit unfortunately resulting in one of the evil floating plants showing up and with no land to push it off to we just had to deal with it but hey its just one and the likely hood of another showing up is pretty small anytime soon.

Then came the cliff... the cliff of DOOOOOOM, first attempt card 2 is a plant making two plants in that spot and an auto fail we were cooperating so down we fall costing 5 cards and 4 durability off both of our items. We laugh this off, i mean what luck another plant showing up just like that but we are still doing well, lets try it again

We gather up and try it again card one 2 success, card 2 three success, card 3 PLANTTTTTTT noooooooooooo down we fall breaking all our equipment we had left and another wound each. This time we are feeling a bit frustrated at the evil plants of doom. Thats 10 damn cards and all our equipment including another food we had however with no where else to go we try again and this time we make it. However we are now looking rough in our deck and desperately need to find food.

A few tiles later we find some gross smelling food but sadly not before we have to shuffle our deck. On the good side we have an action card that will let us pull 6 cards and keep one and discard or shuffle in the rest as if we had not played them and the resultsd were amazing, three of the 5 curses show up and we quickly and happily discard them how cool is that we are back on target.

Two turns later we are getting our groove back and curses they is one of the last curses left and we fail.

DARN YOU PLANTS... we will be back

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And this is why you should make sure to either remove a Flying Root, or move it away if you haven't got the card to discard, before attempting a difficult or costly action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwcolo wrote:

Then came the cliff... the cliff of DOOOOOOM, first attempt card 2 is a plant making two plants in that spot

Just FYI, if you have a plant there already and another plant card is drawn, you fail the action but you don't place another plant. Note the "otherwise" in the card text.

Not that it matters for this story, 1 plant, 2 plant, they still kill you

On balance they're more help than bad I think, but they can be brutal with a bit of bad luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why was there no land to push it to? If you were at the cliff on the Voracious goddess map, there is other land around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wisner
United States
Milliken
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Why was there no land to push it to? If you were at the cliff on the Voracious goddess map, there is other land around.

We had just moved from the one section map to the next where it has you remove everything but the new map tile and the plant showed up on that tile after an exploration. WE had to climb up to reveal a new map tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwcolo wrote:
we had just moved from the one section map to the next where it has you remove everything but the new map tile and the plant showed up on that tile after an exploration. WE had to climb up to reveal a new map tile.

Ok, so you weren't at the cliff on the main trail of the Voracious Goddess, as that has terrain cards to the south and west, and does not reset the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wisner
United States
Milliken
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
jwcolo wrote:

Then came the cliff... the cliff of DOOOOOOM, first attempt card 2 is a plant making two plants in that spot

Just FYI, if you have a plant there already and another plant card is drawn, you fail the action but you don't place another plant. Note the "otherwise" in the card text.

Not that it matters for this story, 1 plant, 2 plant, they still kill you

On balance they're more help than bad I think, but they can be brutal with a bit of bad luck!

That is good to know I missed that bit but yeah same result would of happened. Loving the game honestly and like the plants being in there but this was a large bit of bad luck all around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wisner
United States
Milliken
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:
jwcolo wrote:
we had just moved from the one section map to the next where it has you remove everything but the new map tile and the plant showed up on that tile after an exploration. WE had to climb up to reveal a new map tile.

Ok, so you weren't at the cliff on the main trail of the Voracious Goddess, as that has terrain cards to the south and west, and does not reset the map.

This was our first attempt at it and we started on that tutorial island and then crossed over from there and the first tile we hit was where this all happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirjam Molenkamp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
But you talked about a cliff... so something is a bit weird here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wisner
United States
Milliken
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirjam42 wrote:

Had to climb up, not sure if the exact wording was cliff so maybe that's off, I am not 100 percent and not home to look at the card but will look tonight and let you know the wording

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Heyming
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, isn't there a cliff you can get to if you
Spoiler (click to reveal)
sail (or maybe swim)
off of tutorial island, instead of taking the
submarine
? It's sort of to the right of
the main submarine landing areas
in
AREA II
. It might be possible to get trapped on the single square at the bottom of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wisner
United States
Milliken
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirjam42 wrote:

was tile 43 and climbing the cliff is a 4+ 4 success action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, I realise what you did now. It might work, but I wouldn't generally recommended going that way. If I did, I would probably then try to
sail to the
North
immediately after landing there and
fishing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls