Subject: Combining with Richard Borg's new C&C Medieval? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Medieval History fanMicrobadge: Ancient History fanMicrobadge: World at War: Eisenbach Gap fanMicrobadge: Warriors of God - The Wars of England & France, 1135-1453 fan
I'm wondering if there's any Battlelore fans here that have also purchased Richard Borg's latest Commands & Colors: Medieval? In particular I'm curious about the possibility of combining Battlelore with it? I own all the expansions for Battlelore with the exception of 2 of the FFG ones, so I'm not keen to start collecting a new C&C series unless I can recycle some of what I already have.

The only GMT game I own in the C&C series is Napoleonics (core and all 6 expansions) and knowing the map board and unit block size units for it, I can envision how Battlelore units might be able to integrate with a Medieval equivalent. Or even better, how C&C blocks and terrain tiles might be able to use the core Battlelore and Epic map boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The C&C Medieval is late Roman up to but not currently including the early Muslim conquests. Expansions seem to be planned. The base game contains Huns, Romans, Byzantines, North African Vandals and Sassanids. It is more a expansion to C&C Ancients than an early period Battlelore. It's a 'Dark Age' game rather than Medieval. Cavalry are four figures and the new 'inspired action' mechanic generally results in far less retreats than other C&C games. Thus Cavalry vs Cavalry attrition fights dominate the battles. There is also a concept of superior armour which reduces hits in combat (for the 'superior' class). Cavalry units generally outnumber foot in many scenarios (My experience is most battles end before the foot really gets into action). Some scenarios have pretty much everything armed with ranged weapons (ie. bow armed cavalry) so...darken the skies!

Battlelore, at least the 'historical' type, is late Medieval from about 1200AD to 1450AD and particularly Spain, France, and England during the 1300's. It's a period (or the game design focus is) where infantry became more important than cavalry in battle. Cavalry are three figures which makes them brittle in combat, particularly to ranged attacks. Battles are really decided by the clash of foot with the cavalry aiming to hunt down units that are not 'bold', liable to retreat (and thus prone to the extra bonus attack).

As far as combining the two games I would think the Battlelore fantasy elements (Spells, Creatures, Strongholds) would easily fit into C&C Medieval without much, or any, rules tweaking. The terrain effects are quite similar between the two games. Heroes (the FF expansion) would be more of a problem since the new 'inspired action' mechanic fits that role of heroes on the battlefield. I think the map hexes are the same size, although I haven't checked. The C&C Medieval terrain tiles are thick cardboard (a vast improvement over the Ancients game) but still not the great multi-colour images of Battlelore tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Medieval History fanMicrobadge: Ancient History fanMicrobadge: World at War: Eisenbach Gap fanMicrobadge: Warriors of God - The Wars of England & France, 1135-1453 fan
Robert, really appreciate the description and feedback.

I hadn't even considered combining spells, creatures and strongholds, but the idea of bringing those into C&C Medieval sounds very promising. I was really just hoping that I could somehow have some Battlelore Human figs on the board map at the same time as C&C:M blocks. The idea of one of Attila the Hun's commanders on the battlefield accompanied by a Rock Elemental though, would be both weird and awesome! laugh

I'm among the minority of BattleLore fans that really liked the Heroes expansion and are an even bigger fan of the War Council. That said, I wasn't really entertaining the idea of somehow combining them in, as it's the feature that really distinguishes BattleLore from other C&C games. Still, having a Hunic Shaman (cleric) whipping up some Mists of Terror would be very cool. cool

If I get C&C Medieval, I was strongly considering making the BL board map and tiles the default - maybe even somehow work in the Epic map. I love my C&C Napoleonics and expansions, but it's board map and tiles don't match the quality of BL's; I'm guessing C&C:M's are similar quality to C&C:N?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross T
Australia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gamer DadMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
I can see you posted on the CCM page too with a good discussion generated. Personally I have every intention of using any interesting scenarios designed for CCM and adapting them to play with Battlelore. I'm just waiting for some scenarios to be produced which interest us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2019 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Level 13 BGG posterMicrobadge: Silver Image UploaderMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
I'd recommend Dara as a candidate. Famous battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls