Justin Passick
United States
Charlotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently my mind began to wander and come up with multiple new concepts for potential games. Regarding two of these ideas I need some examples of certain mechanics to help with further development.

The first mechanic I’m looking for examples of is a method of attracting NPC customers. Basically I’m talking about an area of the game space under nobody’s direct control that customers emerge from. The closest thing I can think of at this moment is in Roller Coaster Tycoon, either the PC or board game, where the customers move about the median as you try to entice them into different rides. The board game used a roll & move system but I’m trying to find other games with this kind of structure to study.

The other mechanic I’m trying to find examples of is probably best refereed to as a communal pot. This could be done one of two ways; one is essentially everyone pays in and either a set amount is met to accomplish a goal or it fails. The other approach would be something like the dice game Sharp Shooters where players assign dice to a line until someone finishes it and gains the reward or penalty. Either way I need examples of shared pools that all players pay into.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some examples for me to study.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudoH LudoH
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the second case, I guess there are plenty, but I would cite:

- euphoria: there are common projects where you can participate and put a worker (and resources). Ending a oproject frees the worker (which are dices BTW) and gets a penalty for those that did not finish (and perhaps a benefit)

- you have the projects of 7 wonders babel that seem work a bit similarly but I did not tried them

- the events of Troyes are a penalty for everybody until some people fight them: the two players that contributed the most to the fighting get points (you almost never have more than 2 ppl and anyway you want to have the most cubes on the card...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte Dowling
United Kingdom
Oxford
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

For the first mechanic, Dark Domains jumps to mind. There are two groups of NPC heroes which are each drawn to a certain location in the adventure phase of each round. The type of building/monster they are drawn to depends on which hero has become the leader of the group, as different hero cards have different stats and symbols attached to them.

Spirit Island also has a system where the NPC Invaders appear on the board in a semi-predictable way. A card is drawn telling you where they will appear; on the next turn they'll build there; and then finally they will damage that area. So it works on a conveyor belt.

In terms of the other mechanic, I second Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game!

Also, for a much lighter example I would recommend checking out Greedy Greedy Goblins. The whole game revolves around scrambling to place tiles face down into communal areas, and then claiming that pot when you feel the time is right. You're basically trying to improve a pot you want for yourself while damaging the ones you think other players are aiming to take. The tiles are revealed when all the pots have been claimed, and you either reap the rewards... or weep.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Passick
United States
Charlotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info everyone, definitely got some extra ideas from these examples. The communal pot mechanic has already evolved into something closer to a time-track for one.

Regarding NPC's I can't believe I forgot to look into enemy AI models, big oversight on my part. Think I've found something similar to a drafting mechanism that can at least get me started on the game while I figure out the extra details.

Once again thanks for all of your help. Always happy to see how positive the gaming community can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls