Hide
6 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Variants

Subject: An even more random Twilight Struggle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ziemowit Pazderski
msg tools
Many of us (myself included) have come up with ways to reduce the randomness in the game, and for a good reason. Well, how about a variant, which amps the luck factor to the roof?

New rule: For every Action Round, the card to play is randomly drawn from the player's hand. For every such selection, a player can choose to veto the drawn card (once, and then the random draw is repeated without the vetoed card) or substitute it with the China card. Headlines are selected as usual.

This is an offshoot of some not very serious ideas about how to handicap a human player in order to give the Playdek AI a fighting chance :-)
Unlike the others, I believe this version of the game might actually be playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcius Fabiani
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
"Lose your first 50 games as quickly as possible."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a neat idea if used in a learning game. Lots of situations could arise that should provide good examples of strong and weak playing. Not sure about its use in a serious game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolonel Kklinkk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
εὕρηκα!
badge
Veni. Bibi. Quod vidi
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea, might make the game interesting for me.
Perhaps you could pre-select 2 (or 3) cards in your hand, then opponent would draw one. No veto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Draw 2, choose 1 would make DEFCON suicide less likely. Though then one could even think of getting rid of hands altogether and drawing straight from the deck... Alternatively vs the AI one could old skool 'Aldrich Ames' oneself and decide the order in which the cards are to be played at the start of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziemowit Pazderski
msg tools
I don't think a DEFCON loss is very likely to be caused by this drawing system, even as it is. The only practical chance for it to happen that I see at the moment would be not being able to UN a DS card before the opponent gets to steal UN with Ames, or sth. like that. Ok, there's also not being able to save yourself (or paying high price) with Nuclear Subs/Bear/Quag do to it being played at the wrong time.
Then again, not being able to hold the second DS card could indeed cause a loss, so maybe that's something to be considered as well. Like the extra rules:

Player can choose to reveal any number of Defcon Suicide cards, thus withdrawing them from the next random draw. This must not prevent a player from playing all the required Action Rounds.
Player may always play a scoring card or space a DS card (if space rules allow for that) instead of a random draw (so without knowing which card would be drawn).

The biggest "regular" problem would be with cards that you want to play at a specific time, like the opponent's +1 event, or the scorings (hence the above scoring card exception).

Considering that, I don't see this variant as a "serious" one, more like a fun variant not unlike King of the Hill or Three-Check for chess:
https://lichess.org/variant

Still more serious than those, however:
https://pippinbarr.github.io/chesses/ :-)

It just might be possible to give my variant a try on ACTS or Vassal, maybe even the good folks at Saito could be persuaded to allow for some modding options?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neuro Mancer
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea - already using it for some time in my solitary play of TS

Although haven't thought of veto (using only China Card as option)

Thanks for veto tip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls